Phoenix 2007 (new thread) - page 124

Thanks!

Hi FM

Thanks for the reply

I'll give it a go later and report back

Is there a way of signing up for a demo with interbankfx without having to reinstall MT4?

Cheers

Keith

keith4444:
Hi FM

Thanks for the reply

I'll give it a go later and report back

Is there a way of signing up for a demo with interbankfx without having to reinstall MT4?

Cheers

Keith

I'm not sure, but it's quite useful to install additional instances of MT4. You just need to change the destination directory. You can have them running side by side. I've actually got dozens of installations now, running lots of different EAs on different brokers .. to compare them. The computer doesn't seem to complain too much.

Here is a large collection of the different servers. We have done testing and found that Phoenix works best with FXDD. FXDD generally outperformed IBFX by 50-200 pips per week.

This goes into your installation directory, config folder. I use:

d:\mt4\phoenixbase\config\

But typically you see:

C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\config\

Files:

FutureMillionaire?:
I'm not sure, but it's quite useful to install additional instances of MT4. You just need to change the destination directory. You can have them running side by side. I've actually got dozens of installations now, running lots of different EAs on different brokers .. to compare them. The computer doesn't seem to complain too much.

I should point out that the computer *will complain* depending on what you do. The computer will become disk I/O bound, network flooded, hit file handle limitations in the OS, and a few other things. That is why I don't recommend VPS for server based hosting. Each challenge needs application specific work arounds to keep scaling.

daraknor:
I should point out that the computer *will complain* depending on what you do. The computer will become disk I/O bound, network flooded, hit file handle limitations in the OS, and a few other things. That is why I don't recommend VPS for server based hosting. Each challenge needs application specific work arounds to keep scaling.

I'm sorry... that's over my head. Can you explain in words of one syllable?

You can keep adding new copies of MT4, but there is a limit. My limit on my home DSL was about 20 different currencies.

daraknor:
You can keep adding new copies of MT4, but there is a limit. My limit on my home DSL was about 20 different currencies.

Is it a connection limit or a machine limit? I've got 20 running on one machine, without too much problem, and various other instances spread around my other machines.

Incidently, I have just heeded your advice and installed FXDD alongside InterbankFX. Phoenix on both .. I shall see how they compare.

Some of the limits are MT4 based, and some are connection based. If you have EURUSD opened up 5 times, that doesn't increase much because the tick data is received once and then applied multiple times. If you have 20 different active currencies, then you run into bandwidth limitations and Disk I/O limits. If you have 25 installations of MT4 with 1 currency each, you can run into file buffer limits (common issue as a hard wall).

I have found ways around each of these limitations so far, but all of the optimizations are specific to the application and not all of them work on all systems.

daraknor:
Some of the limits are MT4 based, and some are connection based. If you have EURUSD opened up 5 times, that doesn't increase much because the tick data is received once and then applied multiple times. If you have 20 different active currencies, then you run into bandwidth limitations and Disk I/O limits. If you have 25 installations of MT4 with 1 currency each, you can run into file buffer limits (common issue as a hard wall). I have found ways around each of these limitations so far, but all of the optimizations are specific to the application and not all of them work on all systems.

I think the easiest thing would be to curb my enthusiasm and limit the number. I'm beginning to think that some can be stopped. .. For example, Firebird. It won 20.00 here and 30.00 there ... then lost 1480.00 in one go !!! MasterMartingale is losing quite convincingly too... and StepMAExpert that Newdigital likes, seems to be going nowhere. It's winning some and losing some .. but is down overall. So far Phoenix and Terminator are doing well, and I've just started 10point3.... We'll see.

It took testing to be sure, but martingale strategies loose money at a rate equal to the broker's spread. If the spread is 4 pips, and you are doing 50 pip TP/SL, then you loose 8% each time you complete a Martingale loop. The only variation of course would be if there was some real reason for the trade to go the direction the martingale trade specifies each time through the loop. Adding things like trailing stops and other complications only mask the effect short term, they don't change it long term. 10point3 is Martingale based.

Firebird inspired Phoenix, there was a ton of fixes to try and help firebird along but the premise just had too many issues. It can steadily win little chunks, but big losses are always near. I'd rather use Phoenix with multiple trades.

Reason: