Discussion - page 41

I've been re-reading some of the posts regarding the EAs that I'm testing. I've been able to correct some errors. For example, MasterMartingale didn't like micro-lots (or at least the broker didn't). Once I corrected that, it took off ! Man, doesn't that one trade a lot. I wonder whether brokers would allow that for a real account - I think it could be described as scalping.

Some of my results are looking very encouraging (but I'll run them a little longer to be sure). I know some of you are trading with real money ... but is it just playing? How many of you actually succeed in making a living using these EAs?

I feel the idea of letting the computer do all the work for you, and just sitting back reaping the rewards, seems rather too good to be true. Is it?

...... It would be really lovely to be able to give up the day job

the best EA

hello guys,could you give me recomendation what is the best EA?...thnx

It's a goldmine here.

On your knees and start panning!

Bandwidth for MT4?

Hey, can anyone tell me how much bandwidth on average does MT4 take up? I am trying to decide if I can use a HighSpeed "Lite" cable package to save some money.

Why was the year 2000-2001 different ?

I have been developing and perfecting an EA for the last few months and came across an interesting conclusion based on the historical data from 1999 to 2007.

My EA, which follows the trend all the time had produced good results in all years from 1999 to 2007 except from mid 2000 to mid 2001. I couldn't figure out why this was the case. I'm sure the EA worked fine but when the test applied from June 2000 to June 2001 it produced loss.

Does any one have enough experience to elaborate and tell if that period was too choppy/strange?

Do I need to worry about that if from 2002 to 2007 results are very good?

Thanks

i_me

Yes the same with me: those years (2000 and especially mid 2001) are very different.

newdigital:
Yes the same with me: those years (2000 and especially mid 2001) are very different.

Were you able to view the graphs of this period and identify any bizarre behaviour? I couldn't get that period to plot on my terminal.

investor_me:
Were you able to view the graphs of this period and identify any bizarre behaviour? I couldn't get that period to plot on my terminal.

I backtested many EAs back to the beginning 2001. For example some good EAs using martingale or grid or hedge technique are losing many during the backtesting once in the mid of 2001 and second time somewhere in 2006 for example. But it is always in the middle of 2001. And it is not in September. Before September.

investor_me:

I have all tick data and timeframes back for the beginning of the 2001. So i may open any chart (M5 for example) for July 2001 for example.

Look at the images: price for EURUSD was down up to almost 0.800 and then it was flat on MN and W1 timeframe and choppy market for D1 timeframe. And you may see what was happened on H4 timeframe before September (August and July). Price had some possibility to continue downtrend (you may see it from some indicators) but siddenly price went up.

The images are showing you the better vision then my words.

Files:
images.zip  206 kb

big crater during 2000-2001

newdigital:
I backtested many EAs back to the beginning 2001. For example some good EAs using martingale or grid or hedge technique are losing many during the backtesting once in the mid of 2001 and second time somewhere in 2006 for example. But it is always in the middle of 2001. And it is not in September. Before September.

Indeed. I have noticed this problem since many days, but I thought it had to do with my EA's logic, but upon repeated attempts, I gave up. That period is so weird and makes the EA act bizarrely compared to all other years.

To demonstrate that, you can see the images attached below. They represent the backtest result for all the years from 1999 to 2007 in two images, the first from 1999 to April 2004 and the rest from April 2004 to Feb 2007. The EA produced roughly about 60,000 trades in those years so I had to make the test in two shots as MT4 has a maximum of 40,000 trades. The results were positive overall with a net profit of about 170k from 10k (1700%)

Notice the big crater near the beginning of the graph. That crater is basically from July 2000 to July 2001. Clearly, this period had something going on with it, or perhaps the historical data may be problematic.

Why is this important? If the pattern is repeated in any time soon, it could affect the performance of the EA. In fact, a new crater is currently being dug as you can see in the last month the market looks unusual too.

Thankfully, the EA has a warning system to tell if it is diverting from the linear growth path, but it is an issue worth exploring.

i_me

Files:
Reason: