10points 3.mq4 - page 409

Hi forexjim,

From your backtest (#4071) - it is not loss.

It is open trades were closed because of backtesting was finished.

So, it was drawdown

It is "close on stop backtesting".

Backtesting was stopped because you do not have data to backtest.

Same with yourt backtest from the posts #4075 and #4082.

How come each backtest lasted less than 1 month even though it won

I think - you do not have data for more backtesting.

Did you prepare metatrader for trading by downloading data from the broker?

It should be your timeframe, M30 and H4 for every pair.

-------------

We can backtest MTF EAs just to understand: will EA open the trade, and by which initial lot size. Any other conclusions for backtesting of MTF EAs are not valid.

So, backtesting can not be "a proof" for MTF EAs.

Files:
4071_0708.jpg  74 kb

newdigital:
Hi forexjim,

From your backtest (#4071) - it is not loss.

It is open trades were closed because of backtesting was finished.

So, it was drawdown

It is "close on stop backtesting".

Backtesting was stopped because you do not have data to backtest.

Same with yourt backtest from the posts #4075 and #4082.

I think - you do not have data for more backtesting.

Did you prepare metatrader for trading by downloading data from the broker?

It should be your timeframe, M30 and H4 for every pair.

-------------

We can backtest MTF EAs just to understand: will EA open the trade, and by which initial lot size. Any other conclusions for backtesting of MTF EAs are not valid.

So, backtesting can not be "a proof" for MTF EAs.

Hi, newdigital,

I was referring to statements from #4080 to #4084 when I asked why the EA did not continue to trade. Here is what I did:

1. I download all M1 data of EURUSD;

2. I tested different EAs from 2000 to 2011, they all went through from 2000 to 2011;

3. Even some settings of our MTF EA traded more until the last days of 2011 July;

4. then I tested:

EA: from post #4027

Timeframe: M1

Preset: from post #4049 plus OsMatf=0, Cogtf1=0, Cogtf2=0.

Platform: FXCM mt4

Time period: 2000-2011

5. That was when the EA just traded a few days and stopped taking positions even though there were still years of data going past.

6. Then I backtested 2000 one month at a time and you see the EA took trades in the first few days of the month then would stop trading even though 11 of the 12 months it was making money.

Could it be something other than missing data that was causing the EA to stop taking positions?

Thanks.

forexjim

It is missing data only.

I did not see anything inside the code of this EA that EA should not trade for some time.

How to download data to your metatrader from your broker.

See this image:

So, you should do it for every timeframe. Not for m1 only. For M5, M15, M30, H1, H4 and so on.

You can see the downloaded data with time on the right side.

After that - open chart, right mouse click on the chart and press "Refresh". For every timeframe!

You are transferring this data from history center to metatrader charts and for backtesting. You can see how many bars were impported from history center to your chart:

The other way to download the data from your broker to Metatrader is the following.

For example - you want all data for EURUSD.

- Open EURUSD M1 timeframe chart.

- deselect "Auto Scroll" and "Chart Shift" buttons".

It must be like that:

and press and hold Up arrow or PgUp key on your keyboard. Hold this key until the data will be fully downloaded and the chart will be stopped.

Repeat it for every timeframe for EURUSD.

Same with the other pairs.

It is the preparation of metatrader for trading and for backtesting.

You know ... some people are thinking that all they need to do is to instal metatrader and attach EA to the chart. It is totally wrong. They should prepare metatrader for trading.

forexjim,

I am not going to analyze backtesting with this EA as it is MTF EA and any backtest is not valid by profit/loss and by results. We can just see initial/starting lot size, we can select this lot size based on our deposit, and we can see - does EA work or not. That's all that we can receive from backtesting results in this MTF case.

Files:
prepare1.jpg  141 kb
prepare2.jpg  61 kb
deselect.jpg  16 kb

newdigital:
It is missing data only.

I did not see anything inside the code of this EA that EA should not trade for some time.

How to download data to your metatrader from your broker.

See this image:

So, you should do it for every timeframe. Not for m1 only. For M5, M15, M30, H1, H4 and so on.

You can see the downloaded data with time on the right side.

After that - open chart, right mouse click on the chart and press "Refresh". For every timeframe!

You are transferring this data from history center to metatrader charts and for backtesting. You can see how many bars were impported from history center to your chart:

The other way to download the data from your broker to Metatrader is the following.

For example - you want all data for EURUSD.

- Open EURUSD M1 timeframe chart.

- deselect "Auto Scroll" and "Chart Shift" buttons".

It must be like that:

and press and hold Up arrow or PgUp key on your keyboard. Hold this key until the data will be fully downloaded and the chart will be stopped.

Repeat it for every timeframe for EURUSD.

Same with the other pairs.

It is the preparation of metatrader for trading and for backtesting.

You know ... some people are thinking that all they need to do is to instal metatrader and attach EA to the chart. It is totally wrong. They should prepare metatrader for trading.

forexjim,

I am not going to analyze backtesting with this EA as it is MTF EA and any backtest is not valid by profit/loss and by results. We can just see initial/starting lot size, we can select this lot size based on our deposit, and we can see - does EA work or not. That's all that we can receive from backtesting results in this MTF case.

Hi, newdigital,

Thank you very much for your detailed advice.

Below was what I did exactly:

1. I installed a new FXCM platform and opened a new demo account;

2. I downloaded all EURUSD date, M1, M5, M30, etc.;

3. I opened a EURUSD chart and refreshed each timeframe;

4. I copied the EA, indicators and preset in their respective folders;

5. then I tested:

Time period: 2000-2011

5. Attached is the result: EA still stopped at 01/26/2000 even though there are lots of data after that point.

Could there be something in the EA or indicators that was causing the EA to stop taking positions?

Thanks.

forexjim

Hi forexjim,

I do not know. I think - it is still something with data.

As I see for now - this EA is working - few orders opened and closed in profit today:

===================

-10points_3_Smi_1.01 EA with settings for M1 timeframe, together with indicators is on this post.

Files:

newdigital:
Hi forexjim,

I do not know. I think - it is still something with data.

As I see for now - this EA is working - few orders opened and closed in profit today:

===================

-10points_3_Smi_1.01 EA with settings for M1 timeframe, together with indicators is on this post.

Hi, newdigital,

I started demo testing of the following starting Sunday and the EA opened positions like your postings:

Time period: current

I hope mrtools may have time to take a look why backtesing of the EA would stop taking positions after a few days no matter where I started, e.g. when I started backtesting on 01/01/2000, the EA would trade till 01/26/2000 and then no more trading till 2011; when I started again on 01/27/2000, the EA would trade till 01/31/2000 and then no more trading till 2011; when I started backtesting on 02/01/2000, the EA would trade till 02/08/2000 and then no more trading till 2011, etc.

The reason I hope to be able to test an EA by backtesting in addition to demo is even though demo is more similar to live, it is hard to see how an EA performs long term. An EA may be profitable in 1 week, 1 month, or even 1 year in demo, it does not mean the risk of ruin is not coming right up. If an EA can go through 2000 till 2011 and still has not encountered the risk of ruin, could we feel safer with the EA?

Thanks.

forexjim

Time period: demo 20110807-20110808

Huge floating loss.

Hi forexjim,

yesterday I looked at my trades and I saw that EA is not working for some pairs. I asked MrTools and he replied that I (and you) - we used wrong version of the EA.

So, please - change EA and indicators.

Fixed EA with fixed indicators are located on this post:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/174975/page273 (post #4090).

It is fixed version.

Change indicators too (one indicator was fixed as well).

===================

Reason: