Great EA in backtest! - page 105

Aaragorn:
You asked for it you got it.

Ok you guys are gonna make a developer of me yet askin me to do stuff like this that I didn't know I could do...ya know it wasn't all that long ago that I didn't know any of this stuff...it amazes me that I pulled this off.

Now you want the sad part...I took about $80 loss in my account last night...

I need to revise my non-existent personal money management rules around using these tools...I punched in a manual long trade at 2 lots following the euro EA when it took a position around 9 MST. I wake up this morning to see that yea sure enough it went up...but not before going down and stopping out first....ouch

so my account now after a couple small wins this a.m. = $302 maybe you guys can subsidize me developing?

no just help me get some good money management rules about using this.... PLEASE!!! I have no shame, I can beg.

So anyway, I was testing some other settings on this today...I find that changing the SymbolCount is almost like changing the Risk. The two seem to both change the position size but I wonder if some combination of the two settings changes the average size of wins compared to the average size of losses???

Anyway...I also have a new idea simmering now....I wonder if I can find a way to access actual support and resistance levels....I've wanted to pursue that for some time. I might have an idea how I could do it??

anyway enjoy watching the charts with the new enhanced comment line

I for one would subsidise your developing if you could put a sound alert on this thing.

Sweet...

how'ed you do that. I found out I cann't use yours after all. Last night I noticed I was getting 50% modeling.

I reloaded m1 data and got 90% but crap again.

so how can I get mine to add soulution on the screen?

I saw how you added the comments to it but couldn't find what put it to the screen.

Is there a string I can add?

islandhome:
I for one would subsidise your developing if you could put a sound alert on this thing.

you sorely tempt me.

I have to assure you that not more than 6 months ago I was a programming heathen myself....ps while I was away just now the euro won another trade...my account is now $311 I'm running it at risk=0.22 and symbolcount=2.

It was the not that long ago when I was in your shoes and I had no programming background besides playing with formulas in excel for about 6 months prior to that. I found it really unpalatable to have to rely on others to implement my ideas on the platform and begging for every little change I wanted to try. It was that frustration that drove me thru learning how little by little to do some fundamental coding things. I will see what I can do about making an alert when it's going to trade. I haven't looked at doing those yet but I suppose it can be good for me to learn that too. In the mean time I want to encourage you to allow your frustration with it to drive you to learn as I did so that you aren't always needy in the programming end of it. It's much nicer knowing how to do a few things myself even though alot still is out of my reach. I'm sure it would be the same for you.

Secondly I want to validate some of your observations. I've studied this EA enough now to see that what it in effect is doing is scalping off reverses. Weather or not that is what they intended to create when they developed this I don't know but the end effect of all the mental effort that went into making this EA has produced a system that enters agressively on reverses. I don't know that it pays a great deal of attention to trends or support and resistance or any of those basic trading principles. The fact that it performs as well as it does is actually amazing. But when you say that if you had taken the opposite decision you would have won is only partially correct. The market reverses all the time that is what this EA draws it's strength on. The markets also move in trending waves. This EA as far as I can tell pays little if any attention to such things. It just looks for good reversal entry points and then if that passes the CCI filters (or whatever other filters you add) then it goes for it and it looks for 7 pips and takes profit like a bandit and runs. It's decisions I'm coming to believe are not long term market forecasts. It only wants to grab the next 7 pips whenever it can.

Keep that in mind as you make your decisions. What it is doing is actually one of the very most difficult things to do in trading. It's not exactly counter-trending. It's not watching trend at all, least not as I can tell, only as the mathmetical values of the last few bars factor into it's probability equations. That's all of the trend it sees. It doesn't know where support or resistance lines are or anything. I think it takes a percentage of positions which are in all other technical respects trade blind. yet the percentages of it's results seem to suggest that even doing so it's a winning system.

There is alot more I would like to do with it technically rather than spend my time and energy making cosmetic enhancements. I want to go after the underlying fundamental logic of the system and how it thinks to make it smarter, and thereby raise it's performance level. The question I live in is how can I make it better not just how can I make it look better.

Start thinking outside the mental box you live in too. If you didn't have an alert what else could you do to alert yourself? One thing you might do is allow it to make trades at lots=.01 in a demo account. You'll see that and you can match that in your live account if you want to. I'm not coming down on you I just want to encourage you to expand a little and if you are really intent then use that drive to learn to program yourself as I have. There are much more rewards for your learning than for your remaining dependent on me or others for getting the jobs you want done, done.

take what helps and leave the rest.

xxDavidxSxx:
Sweet...

how'ed you do that. I found out I cann't use yours after all. Last night I noticed I was getting 50% modeling.

I reloaded m1 data and got 90% but crap again.

so how can I get mine to add soulution on the screen?

I saw how you added the comments to it but couldn't find what put it to the screen.

Is there a string I can add?

Let me break it into pieces for you...

here is the full deal...

string comment_line="", comment_time="", comment_time2="", comment_ver="";

string sp = "------------------------------\n";

comment_ver=StringConcatenate(SystemName," v. ",version,"\n");

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 1) {

NoTradeHours1 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,0,2));

}

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 4) {

NoTradeHours2 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,3,2));

}

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 7) {

NoTradeHours3 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,6,2));

}

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 10) {

NoTradeHours4 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,9,2));

}

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 13) {

NoTradeHours5 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,12,2));

}

if (StringLen(TimeTradeHoursDisabled) > 16) {

NoTradeHours6 = StrToInteger(StringSubstr(TimeTradeHoursDisabled,15,2));

}

int h=TimeHour(CurTime());

int hadj=TimeHour(CurTime())-GMT;

if (((hadj) == NoTradeHours1) || ((hadj) == NoTradeHours2) || ((hadj) == NoTradeHours3) || ((hadj) == NoTradeHours4) ||

((hadj) == NoTradeHours5) || ((hadj) == NoTradeHours6)) {

BlockSell = true;

BlockBuy = true;

comment_time=StringConcatenate("Bad Trading Hour: ", hadj, " GMT");

} else {

BlockSell = false;

BlockBuy = false;

comment_time=StringConcatenate("Good Trading Hour: ", hadj, " GMT"," Spread: ",Ask-Bid);

if(Decision == DECISION_SELL)

{

comment_time2=StringConcatenate(" Solution - to sell: ", DecisionValue);

}

if(Decision == DECISION_BUY)

{

comment_time2=StringConcatenate(" Solution - to buy: ", DecisionValue);

}

if(Decision == DECISION_UNKNOWN)

{

comment_time2=StringConcatenate(" Solution - uncertainty: ", DecisionValue, "ho hum");

}

}

comment_line = comment_ver + sp + comment_time + comment_time2;

notice the comment_time2="", in the first line where it defines it's variables and in the last line where it is added to the list of variables that make up the comment_line that the function is going to return. That's all it is. I just made another variable and used the new variable to contain the new information and then added that variable into it at the bottom.

Your better at that then me...But I see now what it is

I just copy paste....lol

great job

Dave

islandhome:

Happy trading. I havn't tested it. Let me know how it works.

xxDavidxSxx:
Your better at that then me...But I see now what it is

I just copy paste....lol

great job

Dave

well you're a better trader than I am.

Something really bizzar happened to me last night...

this manual trade I entered at the same time the Cyberia went long. I basically tried to trade with it but thinking that because I was confident in the current uptrend of the euro I would take a long position and hold it longer than the cyberia would hold it's position open and see if I couldn't capture a full day's movement.

Well, the cyberia insisted on doing the trailing stop on my manual order despite the fact that I had no magic number on it at all. The only thing in common was that it was long on the euro and opened at the same price.

Cyberia fought me on the stop loss every time I would reset it what I wanted it to be cyberia would move it to what it thought it should be. Either I turned off the EA to keep my manual stop loss where I wanted or left the EA on so it could manage both orders.

the end result was not good.

oy

Aaragon,

i give it to you man, you are persistant!! Here are my trade results for this week, they actually started to pick up and was getting more trades. I'm still using daves settings... i think...

Files:
statement_2.htm  18 kb

speaking of programming...I can't believe what I've done....it's not finished yet but it's a start on calculating horizontal support and resistance.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/177227

Reason: