Volatility Quality Index - page 15

spiketrader:
I checked the VQ ind. and find it sometimes the signals which created will disapear after few candles and repaint itself.so made error signals few times whitin latest days.

This has caused me to prematurely jump into a trade. One of the things I do now is I have a VQ screen with 5313 and 3313. The 3313 is much more jumpy and would get you into a shallow trend. The 5313 is more conservative. So the 3313 gets me ready but I wait for the 5313.

This same phenomenon happens with the AscTrend indicator that I use. In an hour period that it's forming, it can flip between blue, green, and red many times.

That's also when I flip over to the M1 or M5 charts to get an idea of what's going on.

Just my approach.

mmccormac:
Once the candle has closed I have not seen the arrows disappear... Are you talking about the price box or the arrows/line color change? I have been using this for a few weeks now and have had no problem... I don't think it paints the past... Like most indicators you have to wait until the candle has closed to go off the signal.

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen this to be the case (The changing of the arrows AFTER the close of the candle). This is my main filter and I find it to be near perfect for the kind of trading I do.

Mike

I use these set for 1 huor period ne indicator with this set 2123 for current period and another one for 4 hours with 5313 set.

the 4 hour set changed after 3 candle yesterday from green to red after i opened the position and push me to negative.

VQ does NOT paint the past

spiketrader:
I use these set for 1 huor period ne indicator with this set 2123 for current period and another one for 4 hours with 5313 set. the 4 hour set changed after 3 candle yesterday from green to red after i opened the position and push me to negative.

I have been watching this indicator almost 8hrs a day for a few weeks now. In that time I have never seen an arrow form and be locked in by a candle close only to change (disappear/paint the past- back to the original) back down the road... The arrow can obviously change back and forth as the market changes but the old arrows don't get painted back to a different color based on what happened after the signal arrow was locked in by a candle close.

One thing that might explain this... The VQ has a setting where you can set the time period it generates signals from. If you were trading off the 4hr and the period was set for say the 1day then yes 3 candles could close on the 4hr then the VQ could change back without it ever looking like it was there. Not sure how else to answer this other than to say you are the only one complaining about this so the inputs may be entered incorrectly or you may have an old version.

Also, this VQ is not a stand alone indicator (I guess it could be used that way but I would not recommend it) and it should be a filter for the trading system you have put together. I use several other indicators and this is a filter for me to enter a trade IF all my other indicators line up with it. This is an excellent filter and will keep you out of many bad trades but to enter on this alone will cause the very result you mentioned in the last post. A good trade based on other indicators and your own system should stand on its own merit and this VQ will just serve as an add on to help you stay out of bad trades, confirm and enter at a safe period, and give a final point at which you should exit if needed.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't then you may have to wait for Raff to return as he is the creator and the only one that can work out any bugs... I have personally found no errrors in the indicator or in the signals it gives. I have never seen it paint the past after a signal was locked in by a candle close. Please post a screen shot of what you are talking about if you can and any further questions about this should be sent to Raff as I can't help if I don't see the same thing happening on my screen running the same VQ you are. You may also want to download a new copy as the last release was only about a week ago.

***If you want to see what happens when indicators paint the past use the one I have attached... It is a total joke and useless for normal trading (For my trading style) as it does PAINT the past. Cheers.

Files:
butterfly.mq4  5 kb

Thank you Mike,

Your reply was adequated to me . The indicator that was changed set for 4 H period and i take positio in middle time,so it changed and defroud me. Thanks again.

Sorry for my english

dellan:
any news about the hilo breakout? i think raph is in vacation

Yes it is...

But I have some time to read post...

Raff

i have start noticing this indicator. as i have loaded it to M5. several called where made, but after few candle sticks the colour changed,left the price label that stated sell or buy. guess that we have to wait for the confirmation only enter the trade. anyway, it is a good indicator for filter. my idea is to follow the H1 colour,if it is red, means selling,and i will wait for the 5mins to change to red then only i will enter.

yan7181:
i have start noticing this indicator. as i have loaded it to M5. several called where made, but after few candle sticks the colour changed,left the price label that stated sell or buy. guess that we have to wait for the confirmation only enter the trade. anyway, it is a good indicator for filter. my idea is to follow the H1 colour,if it is red, means selling,and i will wait for the 5mins to change to red then only i will enter.

You are correct. This indicator is awesome (Thanks Raff)! As far as the arrows and bar color change it doesn't change after the close of the candle, but as you have seen it will change during that candle (As do most indicators). If you add a few other filters you will find that this VQ will keep you out of 90% of the bad trades. I also use the indicators off the 1hr but confirm with my other indicators. Great job and good luck!

Mike

PS. Why did Raff have to get us so excited about the HiLo then go on vacation? That's just wrong.

One problem I've had is when I put a higher time frame VQ on say a 5 minute chart. When the hourly for example is set there, it can 'disappear' for a while, somehow related to price movement. It's like it's drawing outside the visible scale. Anyone else noticed this, and, if so, anything that can be done to prevent it?

Thanks--

Thruline:
One problem I've had is when I put a higher time frame VQ on say a 5 minute chart. When the hourly for example is set there, it can 'disappear' for a while, somehow related to price movement. It's like it's drawing outside the visible scale. Anyone else noticed this, and, if so, anything that can be done to prevent it? Thanks--

I noticed the same thing on the 1m chart (not the 5m). I made the VQ window much larger and I never noticed it again on the right edge of the chart. Only noticed it a few times when I scrolled back to look at the past but not on the right edge of the chart. Don't know what else to say, hope this helps!

try to zoom out the chart and you will see the H1 VQ appears again at the lower time frame like 5 mins.

Reason: