Discussion of article "MetaTrader 5 on Linux" - page 37

 
Ilya Filatov #:
I did notice, however, that the language doesn’t switch in the assistant tab, meaning I can’t type in the Latin alphabet.
I’ve forgotten a bit, but I think there were patches in custom Wine builds for games specifically for switching keyboard layouts. I tried such builds for MT5; they worked better than the vanilla versions, but I didn’t check everything in the terminal and editor. I didn’t like the fact that the editor ran worse under Wine than it did on Windows, so I gave up. In particular, fonts that combine glyphs into a single character (for example, "->" – "→"; I’ve forgotten what this is called) are fundamentally not supported.
 

Can someone help me?


Im running MT5 on wine ubuntu, program works completly fine but when i try to connect to my funded account the connection just hangs. But when i go onto the online mt5.the5ers.com (i use the5ers) i can connect just fine, I put the same thing, server, login and password onto the app version and my network just hangs, Tried restarting app and computer but nothing seems to work, What can i do to actually make it connect, I dont want to use the web version.

 
Spent two days trying to install MT5 on my Ubuntu VPS. Even with the script the webview2 doesn't work, Market isn't displayed at all and thus rendering the whole program useless.

It's very interesting that Metaquotes Developers are not competent enough to make it a native Linux app or at least get the wine one running correctly.

Maybe it's time to switch to a more mature trading platform.
 
Ralphor #:
Spent two days trying to install MT5 on my Ubuntu VPS. Even with the script the webview2 doesn't work, Market isn't displayed at all and thus rendering the whole program useless.

It's very interesting that Metaquotes Developers are not competent enough to make it a native Linux app or at least get the wine one running correctly.

Maybe it's time to switch to a more mature trading platform.

Interesting reasoning: because you couldn't get it to work, MetaQuotes must not be competent enough and should therefore rewrite the entire application as a native Linux program...

Sir, many of us have it running on Ubuntu without any major issues.

Perhaps it's simply not worth investing the time and resources required to rewrite the whole program natively for Linux for a handful of ungrateful users who, at the first sign of difficulty, start calling the developers incompetent.

Just my opinion.
 
Miguel Angel Vico Alba #:

Interesting reasoning: because you couldn't get it to work, MetaQuotes must not be competent enough and should therefore rewrite the entire application as a native Linux program...

Sir, many of us have it running on Ubuntu without any major issues.

Perhaps it's simply not worth investing the time and resources required to rewrite the whole program natively for Linux for a handful of ungrateful users who, at the first sign of difficulty, start calling the developers incompetent.

Just my opinion.
You didn't read the countless comments here, did you? A whole lot of users are having exactly this problem at the moment and no - there is no fix for it. Obviously there's no help from Metaquotes for this "first sign of difficulty". Obviously you have no idea of what a MT5 terminal without a working Market tab means. It renders the whole terminal useless as you can't install any EAs or Indicators.
But thank you sooo much for your "opinion". It was very helpful.
 
Ralphor #:
You didn't read the countless comments here, did you? A whole lot of users are having exactly this problem at the moment and no - there is no fix for it. Obviously there's no help from Metaquotes for this "first sign of difficulty". Obviously you have no idea of what a MT5 terminal without a working Market tab means. It renders the whole terminal useless as you can't install any EAs or Indicators.
But thank you sooo much for your "opinion". It was very helpful.

If you want help, then provide the technical details about your exact config and what you tried. Provide screenshot and logs so it's possible to understand your situation.

And please change your tone, it will help a lot.

 
Ralphor #:
You didn't read the countless comments here, did you? A whole lot of users are having exactly this problem at the moment and no - there is no fix for it. Obviously there's no help from Metaquotes for this "first sign of difficulty". Obviously you have no idea of what a MT5 terminal without a working Market tab means. It renders the whole terminal useless as you can't install any EAs or Indicators.
But thank you sooo much for your "opinion". It was very helpful.
I never said the problem doesn't exist, or that you're the only one having it. What I said is that calling the developers "incompetent" because WebView2/Wine is currently causing problems on some Ubuntu installations seems like quite a leap.

And about the "countless comments", there's something worth keeping in mind: a support thread is not a representative sample of the entire user base. People who have a problem come here and post about it. People who solve it, or never have the problem in the first place, rarely come back just to say "everything is working fine". So naturally, threads like this tend to collect mostly the problematic cases.

The number of posts may show that the problem is real and affects several users, but it doesn't prove by itself that it's widespread or that most Ubuntu users are affected.

I also understand perfectly well what it means when the Market doesn't work. If you depend on products purchased there, it's a serious problem, and it's perfectly reasonable to criticize the fact that the official Linux installation is not working properly in some configurations.

What I don't think is reasonable is turning a technical issue into a judgment about the competence of the people developing the platform.

If you want to say that the official script fails, that WebView2 isn't working properly under certain Ubuntu/Wine configurations, and that MetaQuotes should provide a fix or updated instructions, that's fair criticism. It may also be useful information for other users.

But "several users have this problem, therefore the developers are incompetent" is still a very different argument.

And, by the way, my comment was never meant to be a technical solution to your problem. It was a direct response to that particular statement.

Edit: The "maybe it's time to switch to a more mature trading platform" remark... well, that sounds more like a tantrum than a technical argument. But anyway.
 
Ralphor #:
Let me tell you something that occurred to me after writing my previous message.

From what I can see, you're German, and that made me think about the many times I've had to take my BMW motorcycles in for recalls because, over time, problems were discovered with certain parts, bolts, the ABS, the driveshaft, etc.

Believe me, I could have gone onto a forum and said, "Don't buy a BMW" or "BMW engineers are incompetent", but that would never occur to me.

Not because those problems don't exist, but because criticizing a specific failure and expecting it to be fixed is one thing; dismissing the people who developed the entire product as incompetent is quite another.

That is exactly my point with MetaTrader. Your problem may be real and serious, and MetaQuotes should address it. But there is still a considerable leap from that to concluding that its developers are incompetent.
 
Ralphor #:
You clearly have no idea what an MT5 terminal is like without a functioning ‘Market’ tab. This renders the entire terminal useless, as it is impossible to install any expert advisors or indicators.
I’ve never used this tab; I consider it useless and would prefer a terminal without it altogether. As for the terminal itself, however, it’s extremely useful. For over four years now, I’ve been living solely off the profits from my trading robots. All my trading platforms run exclusively on Debian; I switched to it when MT5 stopped working on Windows XP 32-bit.
 
Ilya Filatov #:

This is, in fact, incorrect:

I’m running Manjaro Linux 26.1 (KDE) + Q4Wine 1.4.2 (Wine GUI), which installed Wine 11.11 under the standard ‘wine’ prefix, in Windows 11 mode. I tried Bottles (but not via Flatpak, as it’s a faff to create shortcuts in the applications menu with it; I used the binary from the standard repository whilst it was available – when it disappeared, I switched to my current setup). As for Wine GUIs, I’ve tried WineGUI (but it’s no longer in the repository), PlayOnLinux (rubbish) and Q4Wine (this is the one I’d recommend).

Added:
I’ve noticed, however, that the language doesn’t switch in the assistant tab, meaning I can’t type in Latin script. Here’s what it says about this:


As I use the AI via a browser (Qwen), I won’t be fiddling about with this, but the issue has come to light.

I managed to get the AI Assistant working in Bottles, but switching the language in the AI Assistant’s input field in Ubuntu doesn’t work… I’ve tried different X11 setups and Wayland, but nothing helps. WebView2 is installed as a component but it freezes... especially when I move the mouse over various input fields... I’ll have a bit more of a faff with it and let you know. The ‘Send Prompt’ button itself doesn’t work either – I have to use Ctrl + Enter… It’s a right pain, of course, as the developers have provided neither instructions nor a solution, just like with the native version of the platform for Linux and Mac.