Interesting and humorous - page 52

And Ubuntu hasn't been seen in 100 years.

I used to be a Red Riding Hood enthusiast back in the day. Took it all the way up to 9. I gave it up after that because I changed my line of work. It was fun :)

>

Commodore 64 computer official revival

06.04.2011 [11:26], Pavel Kotov

Commodore USA is almost ready to release a modernized version of its classic PC-keyboard on the market. Unlike its ancestor, which changed the image of home computers once and for all 29 years ago, this one is actually quite an actual nettop made in an old-fashioned case.

When we open the case we see the stuffing of a modern computer: a motherboard in the mini-ITX form factor with an Intel Atom 525 dual core processor and an NVIDIA Ion 2 graphics chipset. As for the chassis, it really follows the old-fashioned taupe design, and even the brand logo is exactly the same as the classic version, with the red power indicator now also being the on/off button.

A DVD drive is located on the left-hand side of the machine, while numerous memory card slots and USB ports are located on the right-hand side. HDMI, DVI, VGA, four USB ports, a gigabit network port, audio inputs and outputs as well as a PS/2 keyboard and mouse pair are all on the rear.

In addition to the aforementioned 1.80GHz Intel Atom 525 processor and NVIDIA Ion 2 graphics chipset, the PC also comes with two GB of RAM, expandable up to 4 GB. The Commodore 64 runs on Windows 7, but particularly nostalgic users can boot the machine directly into Classic C64 emulator mode and run games and programs on it for the original platform.

Ahhhh, here it is :)))))))))) Nashoooooool :)))

>

It's like an ORION 128

VladislavVG:
MS DOS ;) ? So it must be as "cursed" as Windows - it's the same manufacturer ;). DR DOS somehow wasn't that widespread back in the day ;)....
Quote:
In 1980, a fateful deal was struck: Microsoft sold an operating system called MS-DOS [41], [29] for IBM's new personal computer. According to some reports, the system was developed by programmer Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer, was originally called QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), and was purchased by Gates for $50,000 [44], [33].

jartmailru:
Quote:
In 1980 a fateful deal was struck: Microsoft sold an operating system for IBM's new personal computer called MS-DOS [41], [29]. According to some reports, the system was developed by programmer Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer, was originally called QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), and was purchased by Gates for $50,000 [44], [33].
Well, if you dig deeper, it was not developed by Tim - he adapted the CP/M system from Digital Research for the Intell 8086. When IBM decided to use it on its computers, all the rights belonged to MS. Both MS and IBM programmers corrected the mistakes: there was also PC DOS, later DR got involved with its DR-DOS, but by this time the product obtained by them had become a de facto standard.

Yes, CP/M was a thing! 87, Robotron 1215, 5.25', first PC I ever got to touch.

Well, the I.T. guys had a blast back then.
It's a lot more fun now - look at the genetics - oops...
http://communitarian.ru/novosti/progress/chelovecheskie_geny_okazalis_zapatentovannymi/
As they say - waiting for progress and success in science?
Let's laugh together :-).

The most wonderful computer was my first one, called "Promin-M". It was the size of a small desk(!). The main part of the desk's surface was occupied by a digital keyboard. On the opposite side were lamps with strings that highlighted the numbers. To the right was a field for punch cards, similar to the usual punch cards, if you can remember, but covered with foil, as the reading was magnetic. These punched cards were punched with a special hole punch with the dimensions of an ordinary puncher. The speciality of the puncher was that it punched combinations of holes which corresponded to machine commands. As it was Soviet times, no one supplied these punched cards and anyone wishing to program was given rolls of cardboard and foil, they were glued together and cut to fit the format. The art of programming consisted in the following: as it was impossible to exactly match the dimensions of punched cards by hand, they dangled in the slots and the result depended on the setting and, accordingly, the calculations. It was possible to supply 20 punchcards of 10 commands each.

I programmed on this computer the solution of a system of diffusions in partial derivatives of six variables. There was enough computer memory for that. I had to tinker with it, as there was always exactly one cell missing.

Here I remembered and thought, how many gigabytes and gigahertz would it take on a modern computer to solve such a problem?

Reason: