Interesting and Humour - page 356

Karlson:

If I'm not mistaken, the original is:

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/05/13/einstein-simple/#more-2363

No, you have to admit, the meaning is very different.

And with"You think it's that simple? Yes, it is. But it's not" doesn't fit.

sergeev:

No, but you have to admit, the meaning is very different.

and"You think it's that simple? Yes, it's simple. But it's not" doesn't fit.

So the translator has taken too much liberty with the translation. So loosely that the original meaning is distorted.

You don't have to go far: it's often hilarious to see the names of foreign films in Russian. It's even funnier to hear the Russian dubbing at the same time as the original background voices of the film's characters in Aglitsky.

I certainly understand the literal translation, but I agree with Joo that the translator took a liberty.

sergeev:
If you find it, let me know.

sergeev:

who knows where to find the original of that statement:

You think it's that simple? Yes, it is simple. But it isn't.

which is attributed on the internet to Einstein... but I can't find it in wikitatnik or on other resources, quoting Einstein.

Maybe "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler".

http://www.alberteinsteinsite.com/quotes/einsteinquotes.html

sometimes the competence of Wikipedia is worth checking

Karlson:

I certainly understand the literal translation, but I agree with Joo that the translator took a liberty.

too different meaning for such volubility.

IgorM:

maybe: "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler".

http://www.alberteinsteinsite.com/quotes/einsteinquotes.html

this assumption has already been made above.

TheXpert:
If you find it, let me know.
Yep. you're the one who started it all :)

sergeev:
Yeah. You're the one who started it all :)
That's what I figured. That's why I'm asking :) . It doesn't look like a translator's gaffe, it's too nice a quote. But there's really nothing like it...

Hence

"There is a quote attributed to Einstein that may have arisen as a paraphrase of the above quote, commonly given as "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." or "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler." See this article from the Quote Investigator for a discussion of where these later variants may have arisen."

And here.

"From 'On the Method of Theoretical Physics,' the Herbert Spencer Lecture, Oxford, June 10, 1933. This is the Oxford University' Press version. The words "simple," "simplest," and "simplicity" recur throughout the lecture. The version reprinted in 1954 in Ideas and Opinions, 272, is a bit different. This sentence may be the origin of the much-quoted sentence that "everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler," and its variants.

Yes. Here's my link to an article exploring this quote"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" (Quotes Investigator).

But there's an opinion here that it's a different quote"You think it's that simple? Yes, everything is simple. But it's not."

But what's interesting, several versions of the English version are described. Changes have occurred from time to time... What about the Russian version )))

Reason: