Coding is the easy part of expert advisors - page 4

It seems to be the new standard, on this forum and in the society in general, to talk about what you don't know. Yeah it's freedom of expression, such freedom is a right every one on earth should have. However having a right to express your opinion should not be the same as using this right. When you don't know what you are talking about, it's better to just shut up...in my opinion.

I just don't understand how people can say something about a subject they haven't touched upon.

Drawing all kind of unfounded conclusions and making all kind of unfounded statements, that are so far from the truth, that it makes them who do understand, scratch their heads.

Maybe it's best to respond to code only, because if they can't speak the language, they will have a hard time expressing themselves in it .

Lorentzos Roussos:

He can answer that .
Coders do have an edge though . 
A trader can manually immerse himself on strategies , a coder can automate that process and gain- apart from speed -
accuracy(+bluntness) of deductions.
With all prerequisites offcourse 

How do you back test What do you look for?

Random back tests, most profitable settings in napoleon times , because your EA is called napoleon , it is coming back in the future, to perform napoleonic performances in the future.Highly optimized EA  to trade in the past.

A trader has an eye , he knows exactly what to back tests, he does not do random back tests. A coder is blind and wearing dark sunglasses, he is waving his arms wildly , hoping to catch a strategy of the blind. So coders should stick to coding.What edge? A blind man does not have an edge , over the one who can see .

EA-trader:

Random back tests, most profitable settings in napoleon times , because your EA is called napoleon , it is coming back in the future, to perform napoleonic performances in the future.Highly optimized EA  to trade in the past.

A trader has an eye , he knows exactly what to back tests, he does not do random back tests. A coder is blind and wearing dark sunglasses, he is waving his arms wildly , hoping to catch a strategy of the blind. So coders should stick to coding.What edge? A blind man does not have an edge , over the one who can see .

I admire your resolve , you never give up .Thats good .
Now , lets assume a trader manually forward tests strategies starting today and adapts the strategy as time advances.
In 5 months , i can instruct the algorithm to formulate a strategy up to july 1st 2018 and then start adapting in the following 5 months.
Again with certain prerequisites (which Marco outlines in several posts)

EA-trader:

A trader has  

he knows  

he does not  

A coder is  

he is  

hoping to  

coders should 

See this is what i mean.

He doesn't know shit.

Helpless.

I'm gonna leave this discussion, it's a waste of time.

Marco vd Heijden:

See this is what i mean.

He doesn't know shit.

Helpless.

I'm gonna leave this discussion, it's a waste of time.

Its quite fun actually (this discussion), helps when on a coding break and need a laugh :)

Lorentzos Roussos:

Its quite fun actually (this discussion), helps when on a coding break and need a laugh :)

After some years reading stupidities, you are closer to cry than to laugh.

Coding is an art

Coding Is An Art–Software People Should Learn “Art Thinking”
Coding Is An Art–Software People Should Learn “Art Thinking”
  • www.fastcompany.com
If you have ever not walked in on someone using an airplane bathroom, you are familiar with the work of David Kelley who, in his first job at Boeing, created the Lavatory Occupied sign–and then went on to be a pioneer in the field of design thinking. Design thinking is a flexible and iterative, almost scientific methodology that adapts the...

Alain Verleyen:
After some years reading stupidities, you are closer to cry than to laugh.

True . I cant even imagine what you may have come across all these years . Especially in coding requests. 

Recently it appears it has been the norm to express some illogical controversial claims in this forum and get others offended or upset (I know it is very unlikely anyone take this seriously) ..
But I would love to know what exactly is the point or motive of expressing such claims. I really cannot understand it.., to kill some time? :D

Please let me clarify for everyone here.....the OP did not say that coding was easy.  He said coding was the "easy part" of trading.  And he's right!!  

Trading is hard, coding is hard (ish), great coding is really hard.  But with trading , coding is the easier aspect in comparison to developing sound trading logic.  And all the folks here who are getting butthurt bc they think OP said coding was easy need to chill out and stop being angry w themselves for failing at trading.  Failing at trading means your normal, so don't sweat it. 

Plus, you absolutely do need a variety of automated systems to be long term successful.  The trick is not coming up w a system that works in a particular market regime, the trick is managing your different systems so as to minimize drawdown during regime shifts.  I argue that this is the discretionary aspect of automated system trading.  Buy there are a ton of ways to approach this, so many folks will disagree w me.  I am not so correct such that everything else is wrong.  

But the thing I really want to leave you with is....guess what....coding is actually easy.  Great coding is not, but merely translating a trading methodology into mql (or c) or python is not terribly difficult.  Some of you are great coders and you should be proud of yourselves for being so great.  I am not a great coder.   But, no matter what, get over yourself with the whole feeling butthurt thing.  All you're doing is pulling yourself farther away from success as a trader.  

Manage your emotions, then manage your risk, and make good startegies from a mentally and emotionally healthy place.  ....or don't.  Do whatever you want.  

Reason: