Average through range

Are there any indictors to use the daily ATR as data - rather than price the way a normal indicator is based|?

I was hoping for a CCI indicator or stochastics oscillator using this data.

Thanks

TEAMTRADER

TEAMTRADER:
Are there any indictors to use the daily ATR as data - rather than price the way a normal indicator is based|?

Thanks

TEAMTRADER

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN MAKES AN INTELLIGENT POST!

Yes you could apply any indicator to an atr based range bar chart and it would work BEAUTIFULLY!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR INDICATORS You just need bettercandles. even better if you dont have to actaully creat ethe candles althoug its nice visually

why do people resits the best ideas? this deserves attention IMHO

TEAMTRADER:

Thanks

TEAMTRADER

This is a CCI of ATR : cci_of_atr.mq4

The problem is that ATR is directionless indicator and can not be used "as is" to find out the trend. Here is one example : symbol is USDCHF. As you can see the "trend" is all wrong :

So I added an InvertCCI parameter for cases like that. Upper is with InvertCCI set to false, and lower is with InvertCCI set to true - now the CCI shows more or less correct trend :

But, since ATR is directionless, in cases when the trend changes, you are going to get wrong results again, regardless of inverting or not (here is one example :

So. as long as atr is directionless, we can not use it as a source for normal time series indicators processing

Files:
cci_1.gif  69 kb
cci_2.gif  74 kb
cci_3.gif  76 kb

Here is one that is using something similar to ATR (velocity - a smoother momentum) but does not suffer of problems that CCI of ATR suffers from : cci_of_velocity.mq4

And finally here is a version that combines atr (as a measure of volatility) with velocity, and here is the result : cci_of_velocity_amp_atr.mq4

Upper is the "plain" cci of velocity, lower is combined with atr. Atr combination seems to be emphasizing and making the whole thing a bit faster. As a means of emphasizing results (instead of volume that some are using, but due to a lack of real volume in metatrader, that volume is meaningless) atr seems to be a good tool

Hi Mladen,

i dont post much but i have a question for you if you might willing to help me out. Maybe this indicator already exist but i can not find it anywhere.

The question is as follows i am looking for a atr in indicator who can show me the dailly weekly and monthly atr 14 or 3 in a chart so i can select 14 or 3. now i have 1 but i shows a lot of lines on whole the chart i am looking for 1 who can do it just on the rightside of the chart so not on whole the chart. I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

And finally here is a version that combines atr (as a measure of volatility) with velocity, and here is the result : cci_of_velocity_amp_atr.mq4

I'm not able to change the indicator so that is stays on a template, see the offline range chart. Is there anyway I can save the colours?

But this is how I have adapted it so far.

Seems to fit all timeframes I tried including renko and range.

Live trial next week.

THANKS

TEAMTRADER

Files:
goldm2.png  35 kb
eurusdm15.png  37 kb
audcaddaily.png  45 kb

mladen:

I'm not able to change the indicator so that is stays on a template, see the offline range chart. Is there anyway I can save the colours?

But this is how I have adapted it so far.

Seems to fit all timeframes I tried including renko and range.

Live trial next week.

THANKS

TEAMTRADER

Change the colors in parameters (the oversold and overbought color parameters). It should work. Tested it in a template and it is OK

Files:

It was the 4 colours that will not take and stick with a change in template - as in the lower two illustrations. It gives a better visual of the changes. I even tried to save the new indicator as ADT CCI but still it would not allow me to have the 4 colours saved.

TEAMTRADER

Files:
atr_cci.mq4  6 kb

TEAMTRADER:
It was the 4 colours that will not take and stick with a change in template - as in the lower two illustrations. It gives a better visual of the changes. I even tried to save the new indicator as ADT CCI but still it would not allow me to have the 4 colours saved. TEAMTRADER

TEAMTRADER

The four colors are controlled by OverSoldColor and OverBoughtColor parameters (not by the colors in the colors tab)

mladen:
TEAMTRADER The four colors are controlled by OverSoldColor and OverBoughtColor parameters (not by the colors in the colors tab)

Could they be changed to Green/Lime and Red/Gold as standard on my adaptation of your indicator?

Thanks

TEAMTRADER

Reason: