Requests & Ideas - page 106

It depends what are you looking for ...

I am sure that pip (who made that indicator in the first place) was after cycles estimate and not signals. If you use recalculating indicators in signaling mode (when they change a slope, for example) then you are risking a lot.

But, if you use it like an estimate of how long the cycles are and that way as an estimate for how long will a current phase (trend) keep the way it is doing currently, then you are almost sure on a good side (that is the main reason we are looking for cycles in time series data - to discover the "rhythm" of the market movers and the way how the "pump in the money" in order to keep the move in the way they want it - it is a game of cat and mouse : we (mice) can only watch what the cats do and try to ride with them )

camisa:
thanks, just checking beforehand so I don't waste any time with it...

mladen:

I am sure that pip (who made that indicator in the first place) was after cycles estimate and not signals. If you use recalculating indicators in signaling mode (when they change a slope, for example) then you are risking a lot.

But, if you use it like an estimate of how long the cycles are and that way as an estimate for how long will a current phase (trend) keep the way it is doing currently, then you are almost sure on a good side (that is the main reason we are looking for cycles in time series data - to discover the "rhythm" of the market movers and the way how the "pump in the money" in order to keep the move in the way they want it - it is a game of cat and mouse : we (mice) can only watch what the cats do and try to ride with them )

yes, some people care for cycle estimates

I don't and I don't buy that idea that "they" pump the money, that there are cats and mouses... I think there is only one cat: the market as a whole and the rest is just mice, some bigger, some smaller; some big mice may sometimes think they are cats, but the market soon teaches them their place in the chain

and for me cycle theory is always out of sync with the market, tough some may find it usefull for some timing decisions, not me

There is an old saying from India, and it goes like this :
"When I was young I thought that I was an elephant in the jungle, now that I am old I know that I am a mouse in the jungle"

mladen:
There is an old saying from India, and it goes like this :
"When I was young I thought that I was an elephant in the jungle, now that I am old I know that I am a mouse in the jungle"

so true......

mladen:

Dear Flytox and Camisa,

The Dynamic Cycle Explorer, as accurately described by Mladen above, is only for VISUAL cycle estimation and for the sole purpose of qualifying cycles generated by G Browser, it is not intended to provide trading signals. Personally i find it very useful. Thanks for upgrading it M

Cheers,

Pip

Pip:
Dear Flytox and Camisa,

The Dynamic Cycle Explorer, as accurately described by Mladen above, is only for VISUAL cycle estimation and for the sole purpose of qualifying cycles generated by G Browser, it is not intended to provide trading signals. Personally i find it very useful. Thanks for upgrading it M

Cheers,

Pip

I find the DCE extremely useful for visual estimation,even more than Goertzel.

I find Goertzel,with all our efforts in developing what is probably the best and more multicolored version in the trading universe...v5.53, stills lacks something to focus it.

I agree with camisa that in our current state of affairs,cycle based indicators like Goertzel browser are not useful for trading,so,either we throw Goertzel to the trash bin or we take the necessary steps to improve it( Bartels,linking to user decided starting point,and a couple of things I privately mentioned to Mladen),and if we chose to invest our time in developing it,we may be aware that the end result may still not be enough for trading.

For the sake of disclosure,most of my actual cycle trading is done using band pass FIR filters(those I use do not repaint/recalculate) and NONE is done using Goertzel.

I am not going to disclose the specifics of proprietary trading information,but I am going to give a concentrated summary of several years trading with cycles(and price action,SR,etc)....I discovered a couple of years ago, doing EAs-for testing parameters-that EAs based on FIR bandpass filters ALWAYS-as in 101%-got better results when optimized,compared to optimized EAS that used Goertzel-yes,I had Goertzel indicators in my hands years ago,and a few hints of me here and there,plus the exceptional coding ability of Mladen and Mr Tools have helped you have them too-So,before you cry "optimized"? Think of this as motor testing,if I have 2 kinds of motors,let´s say injection and carburator,and systematically injection is giving me better testing results in term of Horsepower and comsumption,it is clear where I have to focus my new motor development for the races...this doesn´t guarantee I am going to win the races,but helps a lot

SIMBA:

I find Goertzel,with all our efforts in developing what is probably the best and more multicolored version in the trading universe...v5.53, stills lacks something to focus it.

I agree with camisa that in our current state of affairs,cycle based indicators like Goertzel browser are not useful for trading,so,either we throw Goertzel to the trash bin or we take the necessary steps to improve it( Bartels,linking to user decided starting point,and a couple of things I privately mentioned to Mladen),and if we chose to invest our time in developing it,we may be aware that the end result may still not be enough for trading.

For the sake of disclosure,most of my actual cycle trading is done using band pass FIR filters(those I use do not repaint/recalculate) and NONE is done using Goertzel.

I am not going to disclose the specifics of proprietary trading information,but I am going to give a concentrated summary of several years trading with cycles(and price action,SR,etc)....I discovered a couple of years ago, doing EAs-for testing parameters-that EAs based on FIR bandpass filters ALWAYS-as in 101%-got better results when optimized,compared to optimized EAS that used Goertzel-yes,I had Goertzel indicators in my hands years ago,and a few hints of me here and there,plus the exceptional coding ability of Mladen and Mr Tools have helped you have them too-So,before you cry "optimized"? Think of this as motor testing,if I have 2 kinds of motors,let´s say injection and carburator,and systematically injection is giving me better testing results in term of Horsepower and comsumption,it is clear where I have to focus my new motor development for the races...this doesn´t guarantee I am going to win the races,but helps a lot

Thank you for sharing some golden nuggets

...but i do agree with your statement (and suggestions) that G Browser still needs some more work.

Cheers,

Pip

Someone please help

Hello I just joined this is section and I'm glad to be apart of what's going on in here it's like my dream come true,a pimp my ride or yo mtv house for indy's,like I had to show my daughter the colors on the screen I mean the beauty of true and original custom coded indy's ! now although I was led in by snake oil salesmen I learned a thing or two from scooby doo{Thanks Nutty Professor!} about the rsi on the daily chart and other stuff,etc.. and years of demo trading,I always knew not to quit and one day it will be possible to have 15 different systems with 15 different brokers all doing 30 percent a month!{of course when I trade live,the signals will come from another 15 demo brokers accounts so they don't know what I'm doing! ,Y'all can probably see I roamed FF halls a long time with the traditional and the free but now it's time to step up and unleash the true power of the wonderful world of forex!}

But onto business I would like to know if anyone can spruce and tidy this indy up it repaints badly but people claim to make money with it,before this title I believe it was known as cycle identifier,perhaps someone of experience can direct me too an indy like this it's sorta like the semafor in that it shows up when a extreme high or low shows up,or at least when it thinks a new high or low shows,you see, the dreaded indy's signal disappears if it's wrong like a wussy and then it'll repaint finally if a new high or low has indeed been reached,someone please help

P.S I already identified cyclebars.mq4 as a possible clone but not sure yet till monday I don't trade sunday

Files:

SIMBA:

I have been wondering about the limits of Goertzel myself.

Personally I find the problem with goertzel is that the max cycle length settings need to be set low to find useful cycles without huge amounts of lag. However, at this low level I find the goertzel jumps around a lot, indicating cycles are not stable.

Larry Williams in one of his books highlighted the same issue and noted that after years of wanting to believe in them he had given up on them as he had trouble finding stable cycles.

I went back to the godfather of all this stuff, Hurst, looking for answers and unfortunately all I found was a tortured moving average technique that smell's like Andrew's pitchfork.

What I do like if what Ehlers had done with his sine wave. By placing the cycle 1/16th of a period in advance it gives you advance warning of potential turning points. But unless you see confirmation from something else such as price action, the projected turning point is often meaningless. That said, the price action itself could have easily been confirmed by a stochastic and given just as good a result.

Ehlers himself noted that the stochastic is a pretty good filter, but there are better ones. I am not surprised that Simba noted that he is getting better results out of FIR bypass filter.

Maxwell10

Even the original from Roy Kelly repaints, and that is one of the reasons why even he told that it should not be used in signaling mode. Every version I saw repaints and there is no way to identify peaks without it.

As far as the profitability of a system using this indicator is concerned (the ones that I saw so far and which include renamed "solar wind" too) : the profitability of the "systems" that are using this among other ones is not due to this indicator. They are using CCI (yes CCI, since they are using "super trend" in "signaling only" mode (no support / resistance mode used at all), they are actually using CCI 50 for entries) and CCI is responsible for profitability of those "systems". Using cycle identifier for entries when CCI signals a main trend could as well be replaced with random entry in the direction of CCI (I guess that then the lag would be smaller) as long as the main signal is given by CCI

Maxwell10:

Hello I just joined this is section and I'm glad to be apart of what's going on in here it's like my dream come true,a pimp my ride or yo mtv house for indy's,like I had to show my daughter the colors on the screen I mean the beauty of true and original custom coded indy's ! now although I was led in by snake oil salesmen I learned a thing or two from scooby doo{Thanks Nutty Professor!} about the rsi on the daily chart and other stuff,etc.. and years of demo trading,I always knew not to quit and one day it will be possible to have 15 different systems with 15 different brokers all doing 30 percent a month!{of course when I trade live,the signals will come from another 15 demo brokers accounts so they don't know what I'm doing! ,Y'all can probably see I roamed FF halls a long time with the traditional and the free but now it's time to step up and unleash the true power of the wonderful world of forex!}

But onto business I would like to know if anyone can spruce and tidy this indy up it repaints badly but people claim to make money with it,before this title I believe it was known as cycle identifier,perhaps someone of experience can direct me too an indy like this it's sorta like the semafor in that it shows up when a extreme high or low shows up,or at least when it thinks a new high or low shows,you see, the dreaded indy's signal disappears if it's wrong like a wussy and then it'll repaint finally if a new high or low has indeed been reached,someone please help

P.S I already identified cyclebars.mq4 as a possible clone but not sure yet till monday I don't trade sunday
Reason: