Alpha9 EA *** Released to TSD Elite Members *** - page 6

dxtrade:
As explained in the 1st post this is a trend following EA. Buy only if price 100 pips minimum above 200 MA. Sell only if below.

That's correct, the EA only trade the long term trend.

Set a MA 200 periods in a daily chart and you will see what direction the EA will take.

drgoodvibe:
Project1972,

So far great performance on this EA, there's been only one loss on GBPJPY which has just been made up anyway. But I have a question, I notice this on quite a number of currencies. The EA, tends to jump in, and then jump out right before price begins to accelerate in the correct direction.

Attached I have an example, It seems as though the EA over trades? Or is this a part of the logic. Can you explain a little further?

Thanks.

Yes you have some right, it appear that the EA don't ride enough the winners, to overcome this, there are two settings

Set UsePredefinedTP=False;

Set UsePSAR_TS=True;

After this change the EA will ride the winners until get stopped by the PSAR Trailing Stop.

The reason for not use this setting by default is that using UsePredefinedTP=True; and not TS outperformed during forward testing, but not by much,

Using a PSAR_TS definitely dropped the amount of trades and maybe performance can not suffer much or even can be much better during strong breakouts.

I repeat again, we started working on this EA something like 6 months ago, at that time the Predefined TP version worked a little better, but this is a option that need to be explored.

This affect only the Alpha9 MTF engine, The RSI-R2 engine (the yellow arrow) ALWAYS use a PSAR_TS

Doesnt work in demo?`

Hi, first of all, i would like to thank you for making this EA available I have a problem, I installed this on my demo account, it was successfully loaded, but no trades took place. I have let it run for nearly 14 hours now.

Is there are template to run this ea? Or am I missing some setting?

midesign:
Hi, first of all, i would like to thank you for making this EA available I have a problem, I installed this on my demo account, it was successfully loaded, but no trades took place. I have let it run for nearly 14 hours now. Is there are template to run this ea? Or am I missing some setting?

There are not any template, the EA should work, it opened few trades yesterday and today but not on all pairs.

Did you copy the HAS and VHF indicators to your indicator folder ? Expert Advisors is enabled ?

Did you installed on many pairs ? The EA did not open positions on all pairs, there are many pairs without trades in the last days.

Check your Experts tab to check for errors.

This is the last statement to check the trades of the last 2 days.

project1972:
Yes you have some right, it appear that the EA don't ride enough the winners, to overcome this, there are two settings

Set UsePredefinedTP=False;

Set UsePSAR_TS=True;

After this change the EA will ride the winners until get stopped by the PSAR Trailing Stop.

The reason for not use this setting by default is that using UsePredefinedTP=True; and not TS outperformed during forward testing, but not by much,

Using a PSAR_TS definitely dropped the amount of trades and maybe performance can not suffer much or even can be much better during strong breakouts.

I repeat again, we started working on this EA something like 6 months ago, at that time the Predefined TP version worked a little better, but this is a option that need to be explored.

This affect only the Alpha9 MTF engine, The RSI-R2 engine (the yellow arrow) ALWAYS use a PSAR_TS

Great -- thank you for your explanation.

Scrat:
maybe a stupid question... but i gotta ask. i ran a backtest on g-j from february this year until today and i noticed that i only had buy orders. not a single sell. is this normal?

I'm w/ ya.

Project,

I take it back testing this EA won't really show it's true potential. MT4 backtesting is as reiable as the weather anyways.

Comments?

drgoodvibe:
Great -- thank you for your explanation.

Set PrefSettings to false too. Or it'll load the settings in the init function.

nondisclosure007:
Set PrefSettings to false too. Or it'll load the settings in the init function.

PrefSettings should be enabled, there is not a need to disable it to enable the PSAR and disable the UsePredefinedTP

In the PrefSettings there is an important parameter for the RSI-R2 engine: The SRSI_Period, this setting is different for each pair, if you disable PrefSettings you will loss this optimization, and all pairs will work with the same default RSI_Period

nondisclosure007:
Project,

I take it back testing this EA won't really show it's true potential. MT4 backtesting is as reliable as the weather anyways.

Comments?

That's correct MT backtest is not reliable at all, and you can bet that the future will be different to the past.

My assumption was done in the fact that the backtest perform very similar to forward test, although there 2 functions that can't be emulated in the backtest and can play a very important role, The equity Stop and the Equity Trailing.

The equity Stop will play a very important role in the case of a big correction, market crash or sharp trend reversals, unfortunately we can't backtest this feature because it need the entire portfolio of pairs to work properly in the same way as a real account, we can use some tricks to estimate it during a backtest and combine the results of all pairs, but it mean that the backtest need to be "constructed" in a manual way assuming the EquityStop on few specific periods of the history.

The Purpose of the equity stop is to apply some type of equity line crossover

This concept of equity line crossover was used by HedgeFunds long time ago and was bring to light by cbrock5000 in this post

project1972:
PrefSettings should be enabled, there is not a need to disable it to enable the PSAR and disable the UsePredefinedTP

In the PrefSettings there is an important parameter for the RSI-R2 engine: The SRSI_Period, this setting is different for each pair, if you disable PrefSettings you will loss this optimization, and all pairs will work with the same default RSI_Period

2 questions: why are there declarations of different sets of takeprofits? You have the global declarations:

extern int TakeProfitD1 =70;

extern int TakeProfitH4 =55;

extern int TakeProfitH1 =35;

extern int TakeProfitM30=20;

extern int TakeProfitM15=15;

extern int TakeProfitM5 =10;

[/CODE]

Then for each pair in the init section.

so if I turn off UsePredefinedTP (set false) will this then allow me to not put any take profit options on orders (in other words, not setting a takeprofit when submitting an order)?

Also: here's a piece of code I've used to determine lot size:

[CODE]lot=NormalizeDouble((AccountFreeMargin()*(risk/100))*AccountLeverage()/MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_LOTSIZE),2);

sub risk for your SRSI_Risk in the case of SRSI.

It's allowed me to not worry about lotsize/leverage and it uses the freemargin wich, w/ IBFX, doesn't take into account current trades into equity.

PS. thanks for the quick reply!

Reason: