Phoenix 2007 (new thread) - page 129

I think one can ignore those L & R etc.. settings and put the PrefSettings as TRUE. The EA should do the rest.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

autumnleaves:
That having been said, I find it difficult to grasp the concept of a "countertrending" system. It seems to me that the point is to identify a movement and go with it, not against it.

believe it nor not, but you're not alone.

i'm having a hard time too grasping the concept of a countertrend ea - but it seems to work pretty well doesn't it? i have tried so many eas over the past two years (its not even funny anymore) and phoenix is one of profitable with an ongoing development (thanks to all the programmers!). the development is pretty much under control and it doesn't end up with dozens of sub-verions and variations - i like this very much.

AZBOfin

I was operating version 5.7.0 with all default settings. Right now I have an open SELL position on USD/JPY which started yesterday.

I just switched over to Mode 3 and immediately the EA opened 3 BUY trades for USD/JPY which are contradictory.

Any explanation to this? Thanks.

takechance:

here's a statement of one of my demo accounts (FXDD).

http://www.azbofin.com/azboforex/501521/statement.htm

as you can see i had a short order opened on the 15th @ 8:15am and it closed at 5:30pm on the same day. then it opened a long order on th 16th at 7:30am and it is still floating (trade1 has been closed in profit at 3:00am on the 20th).

if you have set to have only one trade open at a given time it very much depends on your entry point. one person could be in a long trade, while you are short and vice versa.

i had two demos run side by side. one i started right at the beginning of the week, the other i waited for the first one to be in an active trade. it took almost two weeks until both run in sync, but they did eventually.

AZBOfin

PS: all times are FXDD server time (GMT+2)

Thank you Azbo. I will continue to watch this brilliant piece of toy.

One more question. Does this EA have an EXIT rule also when the 5 indicators go reverse or it just waits for the SL to hit ( 84 pips on my chart for all pairs)?

takechance:
Thank you Azbo. I will continue to watch this brilliant piece of toy. One more question. Does this EA have an EXIT rule also when the 5 indicators go reverse or it just waits for the SL to hit ( 84 pips on my chart for all pairs)?

Nope... Only Sl and TP

Perhaps in Phoenix 6...

takechance:
I was operating version 5.7.0 with all default settings. Right now I have an open SELL position on USD/JPY which started yesterday.

I just switched over to Mode 3 and immediately the EA opened 3 BUY trades for USD/JPY which are contradictory.

I am no expert but I will try to explain what I understand of this situation. I read in previous posts that there is a tester at opening of the EA. The tester refers to time 00:00 and validate itself. So it is dangerous to open the EA in the middle of the day as it can trigger a random signal. The way to go around it is to increase the signal count to a large number and a bit later after opening to reduce it to your preferred setting.

Please anyone, correct me if I am wrong...

FAQ - Contradictory Trades.

takechance:

This is based on the new names in 5.7.2.

U_M12_ConsecSignals = 5; Mode 1 or 2, only buy when their are 5 buy signals in a row. I'm not sure but I think they need to be 15 minutes apart. So it takes about 75 minutes for that to happen. It's a U - User signal so the pref settings don't change it. You can set it for more signals. No such similar things exists for mode 3.

U_M12_MaxTrades = 1; Mode 1 or 2 - How many trades can be open at the same time. Again not such similar thing exist for Mode3. It's another U - User setting.

Let just say you make U_M12_MaxTrades = 10 and you run Mode 1.

So Phoenix could open 7 trades both buys and sells before it closes any trades. It could open a buy at 9:00, 10:15 then get mixed signals, for hours or days and then do a sell at 13:15. Why doesn't it close anything? Because the close criteria could be stoploss=82 and takeprofit=42. Any trade that hits one of those profit or loss points will be closed.

To see this in action, run some backtesting with

U_PrefSettings = true

U_Mode = 1

U_M12_ConsecSignals = 5

U_M12_MaxTrades = 10

-------- Now a note about mode 3 --------------

In mode 3. I believe it will fire off with one signal then will not open another mode 3 trading set until all 3 from the first 3 trade set are closed.

U_M12_ConsecSignals = 5; Mode 1 or 2, only buy when their are 5 buy signals in a row. I'm not sure but I think they need to be 15 minutes apart. So it takes about 75 minutes for that to happen. It's a U - User signal so the pref settings don't change it. You can set it for more signals. No such similar things exists for mode 3.

By default, the ConsecSignals setting is based on the number of signals it receives. This dynamically scales based on volatility and how often we get ticks. In the source code there are directions to change the signal system to work by time, instead of signal. Uncommenting lines 822 and 844 will use time as a criteria. If time based criteria are used, then a 15 minute (900 second) window applies. By default, there is no min or max time.

By default:

tick 234= sell

tick 235= no signal

tick 236= no signal

tick 237= sell

tick 238= sell

tick 239= sell

tick 240= sell

Now Phoenix enters a sell trade. If tick 238 was a buy signal, no sell trade would be possible until tick 244 at the soonest. If 50 sell signals arrive in a row, and Phoenix has U_M12_MaxTrades = 10, then 10 sell trades will be entered.

If you uncomment lines 822 and 844:

tick 234= sell Time: 9:00am

tick 235= no signal

tick 236= no signal

tick 237= sell

tick 238= sell Time: 9:05am

tick 239= sell

tick 240= sell Time: 9:07am

If tick 238 was a buy signal, no sell signal would be possible until tick 244 *AND* the time would need to be after 9:20am. If 50 sell signals arrive in a row over 35 minutes and Phoenix has U_M12_MaxTrades = 10, then 3 sell trades will be entered.

I don't use the time based ConsecSignal, but I usually make ConsecSignal 20 or 50 when I have multiple trades. I also like to optimize ConsecSignal for Mode1 based trading.

Phoenix6 will have ConsecSignals available with any trade settings (modes are going away, it will just be settings that can be configured the same way as existing modes) and there will also be an option to force all ticks to generate a signal (making filters more powerful) instead of trading over 'no signal' gaps.

Pcontour:
Decrease Factor doesn't work, don't use it in any version. I changed DecreaseFactor myself in an unofficial version called V5.7.2w. Those colored letters confused me also, check out the version 5.7.2 ultimate guide V3, find the same field, it may have a updated explanation. I updated that guide from V2 to V3, and I would rather answer questions on the V3 guide.

I'll keep your offer in mind, but I am dismayed to find that Phoenix 5.7.2a is so different in its inputs from the "official", stable v5.7.0.

I'm a relative noob to MT4 automated trading, but the 6 other EAs (all potentially profitable) I've looked at to date have a much simplier system in that whatever input value is shown in the Value column of the Input tab is what the EA uses - as one would expect.

If there is to be a Phoenix 6, I would appeal for user-friendliness on the matter of inputs.

TIA

JRtrader

Reason: