Profit Generator EA - page 43

Why backtesting doesn't work?

A pretty good and short(wheew) article about the pitfalls of backtesting in general.

http://www.tradejuice.com/trading-strategy/futures-not-histories-te.html

The PG took a bad hit last nite and this morning on my settings

My hero

jojolalpin:
Hi all folks! Wait before paying for TS! My tick backtester will be functionnal and easy to make it run with mysql, Postgre, SQL_server or Access.... (if you know how to code ODBC connnections or I will explain you)

Allright! You da man!

New Feature Idea

Well, it looks like we all took a hit on the EA today because of the non-Farm report.

I was trying to think of a way to reduce the loss when NEWS times hits.

Here is a couple ideas to add to the code if possible:

IDEA 1:

A feature similar to a trailing stop except what it does is must move the stoploss to break even (or 1 pip profit) after a predetermined time. In other words, have a feature that says, when profit is (X- set amount of Pips, like 20), then move the stoploss to break even (or 1 pip). This way, when news hits, it won't just destroy all profits and hit your stoploss in like 5 minutes.

or

IDEA 2:

This idea might be a little more difficult do accomplish but would even be better than the first. I don't know if this can be done, but what about a feature that at a predetermined time each day (like say, 8-9 AM EST or 13:00 to 14:00 GMT) the EA checks to see if the profits are dropping at a predetermined rate (say like 10-15 pips) and if it is going against your position, it will automatically close out of the position. A feature that checks every minute and if the price has dropped X number of pips against you, close position.

I hope I am able to explain what I mean. If you have any questions, let me know.

Obsolete Setting Explaination

Many have wonder why I am so excited about the New Obsolete Feature in the EA. Here is why. Let me explain how this feature works. In my opinion, it should be stardard as a preset.

Obsolete Setting does not close the trade after 30M, here is what it accually does (which is VERY COOL).

Say you are in a position LONG on the EURUSD and you are up 30 pips (with a take profit of 40 and stoploss of 30). Sudden, the conditions of the market change and you start to lose your profits. What Obsolete settings does it check every 30M (or 15 or 60 or whatever you specify) to see if the conditions are still there for you to stay in your long position. If after 30 minutes it says, "Conditions have now changed, you should be in a short position now!" it immediately CLOSES your LONG position wherever you have it (say at this point you are only up now 5 pips) and opens a SHORT position in the opposite direction!!! That way, you do no lose ALL your profits and you don't have to take a stoploss either. Thus, you just made 5 pips on the trade and did not lose 30 that you probably would have. Plus, since you are now trading in the opposite directiion, there is a good chance you can capitalize on changing market rather then just losing money.

I hope this explains it clearly.

holyguy7:
Well, it looks like we all took a hit on the EA today because of the non-Farm report.

I was trying to think of a way to reduce the loss when NEWS times hits.

Here is a couple ideas to add to the code if possible:

IDEA 1:

A feature similar to a trailing stop except what it does is must move the stoploss to break even (or 1 pip profit) after a predetermined time. In other words, have a feature that says, when profit is (X- set amount of Pips, like 20), then move the stoploss to break even (or 1 pip). This way, when news hits, it won't just destroy all profits and hit your stoploss in like 5 minutes.

or

IDEA 2:

This idea might be a little more difficult do accomplish but would even be better than the first. I don't know if this can be done, but what about a feature that at a predetermined time each day (like say, 8-9 AM EST or 13:00 to 14:00 GMT) the EA checks to see if the profits are dropping at a predetermined rate (say like 10-15 pips) and if it is going against your position, it will automatically close out of the position. A feature that checks every minute and if the price has dropped X number of pips against you, close position.

I hope I am able to explain what I mean. If you have any questions, let me know.

For me, the problem today with the EA was many bad entries. A simple way to prevent this on volatile days would be to create a true/false option with a variable input which says to the EA: Take trade only if conditions are met plus X pips. So when we expect volatility we could set to true and put in a high value like 20. This would have filtered alot of false entry signals today.

jojolalpin:
Thanks Hendrick!

I would read this with pleasure. could u send adress of codersguru profit_protector thread.

We could also stop trading friday at noon. Few hours lost but those bad birds singing "we do not trade against our customers!" would have beak in the water.

Hi Jojo!,

This is the article I told you about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forex_scams

Hendrick:
Hi Jojo!,

This is the article I told you about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forex_scams

Now, That's just darn right discouraging!!! But sure explains allot.

Does anyone else think, if true, this wreaks of racketeering??, but then, how would you prove it?

I made a pdf to keep, and attached a copy.

Files:
forex_scams.pdf  22 kb

jojolalpin:
Hi all folks!

Wait before paying for TS! My tick backtester will be functionnal and easy to make it run with mysql, Postgre, SQL_server or Access.... (if you know how to code ODBC connnections or I will explain you).

We only need good tick data and I am ok to pay for this and share. My boss is actually paying me doing coding for the community (I will be fired in 3 months so I don't care and him also (I told him)).

At home I have Sql server an tools joined for data analysis and mining.

Once I have reliable results with those tools I will give you free tools to do the same at home by your own way (maybe running linux but as all knows m$ sucks). I will always share my results (I would not have known PG without you).

Just Coming back from a great party, excuse my english but it's hard to hit keyboard right. Sure I won't code this night but you will have a PG backtester soon (I hope monday morning, I only work on it).

Also, I'll post forward statements tomorrow (holyguy7 test list).

Salut!

jojo

Jojo, I agree with VB and SQL server as database or even access could be better solution for backtesting, but real problem form where we could get reliable real tick data.

Reason: