MetaTrader 4 Build 600 with Updated MQL4 Language and Market of Applications Released - page 43

SDC:
It is but is it really neccessary ? if you run a backtest on 1 minute chart data, strategy tester models all the ticks that would have been neccessary to create that 1 minute bar. It might not do that in the exact same order that they would have been recieved on live trading, but really when you think about it, is tick modelling vs tick data going to make that much difference to the results ? Even with high frequency scalping it is debatable. I think the way modelling quality is evaluated is a little unfortunate as it will always give testing on 1 minute charts that 25% value and the impression of a very poor quality test when really it probably deserves a higher value.

depends on the strategy. not always, but in a number of cases changes in results are dramatic.

Has anyone ever performed evaluative testing on the same 1 minute chart data, test1 with the real ticks, test2 with modelled ticks ? Ticks can arrive in any pattern I find it difficult to believe that the tick arrival pattern from a backtest test period has any relevence to the tick arrival patterns of future bars. Having said that I dont think I implied people shouldnt facilitate tick testing if they want to, I was really just questioning the validity of the 25% modelling quality rating of 1 minute chart tests when to the uninformed (potential clients) it gives the impression of poor quality testing.

bluepanther: No files or folders are deleted during the update! All file copy operations including used file paths are fixed in the terminal Journal during the update. Sorry, but my OPTIMISED PRESETS no longer exist! MetaQuotes, you lied...

SDC:
All you need to do is move them from the previous data folder to the new one.

Sure, but the problem is that the previous data folder NO LONGER EXISTS! The force update REMOVED the presets folder so your suggestion is NOT POSSIBLE! Thank you for trying to help, but there is no way I will get those custom preset files back. I don't think this is a great loss however, since I THINK I can remember the settings I used (and not necessarily with much success I might add anyway)... But I can only imagine how some folks might feel who have spent AGES refining and optimising their EA and getting the perfect preset combination, only to lose their months or years of work because of MQ's malicious and selfish actions.

I'm reverting back to build 509

Get a screen grab of this folder and show me it doesnt exist. copy paste this url to the address bar and put your windows account name where it says "your name"

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MetaTrader 4

graziani:

yes you can. tickdata .fxt is generated once and reused on every backtest.
Yes it is . . and MT4 generates the .fxt when you are testing with "MT4 alone", i.e. no other software involved so you can't do better than 90% modeling quality.

RaptorUK:
I take it you are talking about modelling quality ? how do you propose to get better than 90% using MT4 alone ? how do you get better than 25% on M1 ?

You need to follow the instructions <link removed by moderator, advertising isn't allowed on this forum>

I did not suggest MT4 alone. No less than 99% modelling quality is the only information scrupulous vendors and traders should use. :)

SDC:

Get a screen grab of this folder and show me it doesnt exist. copy paste this url to the address bar and put your windows account name where it says "your name"

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\MetaTrader 4

Screenshot: (and no, I didn't delete any folders to make it look this way) - the directory you specify did not exist on my VPS before or after your directions...

Other Users on my VPS did not even have the directory VirtualStore.

(sorry, I get an error telling me "The text is too long" when I try to paste the screenshot)

bluepanther:

You need to follow the instructions <...>

I did not suggest MT4 alone. No less than 99% modelling quality is the only information scrupulous vendors and traders should use. :)

Do you realise that the 99% figure is totally arbitrary and made up ? it is meaningless other than to signify that you are using tick data . . .

Do you really expect MetaQuotes to mandate the use of an unapproved 3rd party product before they allow a product on the Market ? seriously ?

bluepanther:
Screenshot: (and no, I didn't delete any folders to make it look this way) - the directory you specify did not exist on my VPS before or after your directions...

Other users on my VPS did not even have the directory VirtualStore.

(sorry, I get an error telling me "The text is too long" when I try to paste the screenshot)

RaptorUK:
Do you realise that the 99% figure is totally arbitrary and made up ? it is meaningless other than to signify that you are using tick data . . .

Do you really expect MetaQuotes to mandate the use of an unapproved 3rd party product before they allow a product on the Market ? seriously ?

As arbitrary or "made up" as you may call it, it is certainly more accurate than 25% modelling quality. I couldn't believe it when I saw some of those vendors peddling their "wares" with such poor confidence in their product. Anyone can curve-fit a strategy with 99% quality, but a monkey needs a few more brain cells to do it. 25% even a monkey could do with eyes closed. :P

I followed the steps as far as downloading the tick data after opening a demo account with Dukascopy (which took a while), but then I had to convert the data to a usable format for MT4, which required me purchasing the <commercial product name removed> (the free option was no longer available). I wasn't prepared to do so, so that was the end of my short-lived attempt to achieve 99%. I can still achieve 90% easily using MT4 alone (as can anyone else).

Reason: