MetaTrader 4 Build 600 with Updated MQL4 Language and Market of Applications Released - page 41

mipevo:

Hi All

My Swissquote MT4 accountaswas updated. I understood that all the new files hierarchy was set up, but the program continued to refer to the old file-locations. So I trashed all MT4 instances and installed from scratch. Still Swissquote MT4 build 610 does not open profiles in the new locations but reinstalls them in the old locations and looks for the there.

Can I tell MT4 the path, where to look for indicators, ea, templates, profiles etc?

Is this a Swissquote MT4 problem or did you encoiunter this with other provider's updates?

Thanks for your help Mike

What do you get when you click File > Open Data Folder ?

mipevo:

Hi All

My Swissquote MT4 accountaswas updated. I understood that all the new files hierarchy was set up, but the program continued to refer to the old file-locations. So I trashed all MT4 instances and installed from scratch. Still Swissquote MT4 build 610 does not open profiles in the new locations but reinstalls them in the old locations and looks for the there.

Can I tell MT4 the path, where to look for indicators, ea, templates, profiles etc?

Is this a Swissquote MT4 problem or did you encoiunter this with other provider's updates?

Thanks for your help Mike

SaveAs an indicator - you should then see the path

EG C:\Users\uSER\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\966XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\MQL4\Indicators

RaptorUK:
And have multiple Server versions ? don't just think about the Terminal app, there is also the Broker side to consider . . . you want to indefinitely support build 509 and 60x + ?

MS did for a long time with XP etc etc

Point remains that Build 600 has 'broken' a lot of EAs etc, so supporting two MT4 builds would possibly be the least of two evils, at least for a year or so.

rod178:

MS did for a long time with XP etc etc

No they didn't, it's not an equivalent situation. Your Terminal has to communicate with the Brokers software . . . this Broker software would have to be backward compatible with 509 . . . there is no Microsoft equivalent In any case, MetaQuotes don't have the resources of Microsoft . . . .

rod178:

Vista - now that would be sad.

It would have made more sense to 'freeze' MT4 build 509 32 bit for legacy OS and providing the option of MT4 build 600+ for those desiiring to run MT4 64bit. At least users would then feel that they had a choice.

I think you strongly underestimated the implications of what you propose.

rod178:

My 'meaning' was - why have a 32 bit version at all?
That is like asking why have mql4 at all.

rod178:

Vista - now that would be sad.

It would have made more sense to 'freeze' MT4 build 509 32 bit for legacy OS and providing the option of MT4 build 600+ for those desiiring to run MT4 64bit. At least users would then feel that they had a choice.

It would not make more sense to do any such thing. What you are suggesting is all MT4 users and developers with a 32bit OS could no longer use the latest version unless they buy a new computer just because it would suit you personally.

No files or folders are deleted during the update! All file copy operations including used file paths are fixed in the terminal Journal during the update. Sorry, but my OPTIMISED PRESETS no longer exist! MetaQuotes, you lied...

bluepanther:
No files or folders are deleted during the update! All file copy operations including used file paths are fixed in the terminal Journal during the update. Sorry, but my OPTIMISED PRESETS no longer exist! MetaQuotes, you lied...
All you need to do is move them from the previous data folder to the new one.

A friend of mine pointed me to an article:

<link removed by moderator>

see #3

Here's my reply:

That's GREAT news Jay! What this means is that MetaQuotes are changing things, and although they have forced an upgrade by the way they have handled it, for the informed and those that code MQL4, we can continue to use the old AND the new, so that us developers have TIME to sort through this crap that been thrown our way without our permission first (breaking many of the advanced coders previously working compiled code in the process).

In addition to using info from following link to change Program Data folder to keep MT4 build 600 from upgrading any more, and stop v509 from upgrading to v600, we can use link from following page to download v509.:
<link removed by moderator>

I appreciate SDC and angevoyageur inputs. I agree with angevoyageur method:

"angevoyageur said to me a while back, code in the old mql4 style unless you need the new functionality. I think that is good advice. There are only a few small changes to learn about if you take it that way."

Is there a manual that can walk us through and show us what changes, including examples? This would really help us developers. Then a separate manual showing the indeed new stuff. Because we not only have one hurdle but two. We have the hurdle of making sure our old code works with the new build. Then we have an additional larger hurdle that will take longer time of learning new functionalities from MQL5. Let's not kid ourselves: MQL4 above 509 is an entirely different language from MQL4 build 509 and before. A much more complex language than MQL4 is. And for developers like me who have ONLY CODED in MQl4, we don't know what classes and the other new terms mean. We don't necessarily code other languages or for Microsoft.

Kindest regards,

Don

Reason: