MetaTrader 4 Build 600 with Updated MQL4 Language and Market of Applications Released - page 23

Perhaps this thread could be renamed to "I need help after update".

SDC:

I think MQ shot themselves in the foot by implementing mandatory updates. The larger tech corporations such as Microsoft and Adobe give the user such options as:

1) Ask my permission before downloading new updates.

2) Download new updates but do not install without my permission.

2) Allow automatic updates.

They do this for a reason, to avoid lawsuits.

You have to understand there is only a small part of users who complaints and have problem with this automatic update. Me too as a power user, I would prefer to have to choice. But Metaquotes don't create a software for power users, they create it for the masses.

I troubleshoot my clients computers every day, and the result of not fully automatic updates is that a lot of computers aren't update at all. Last week I still encounter a Windows XP with SP2 !!! This is simply unmanageable for a company like Metaquotes to play with dozens or even hundreds of different terminals build.

So, to conclude, I agree with your proposal, but I understand Metaquotes decision, and I don't think we can expect a change for that.

diamond001:

Hi sir/madam :

Unfortunately,i can't run any expert adviser in new version MetaTrader (bulid 600) please guide me

You have to give more details if you need help.

angevoyageur:

Last week I still encounter a Windows XP with SP2 !!! This is simply unmanageable for a company like Metaquotes to play with dozens or even hundreds of different terminals build.

The normal procedure would be for the installer or software to refuse to work on unsupported operating systems. (There is a lot of XP in China, and some of that is probably SP2. If MetaQuotes want to be big in China - which they do - then they need to support XP, and they probably need to quasi-support XP SP2.)

There aren't "dozens" of terminal versions. Each broker's installation is fundamentally identical. The only officially-released versions of MT4 which can still connect to a server - i.e. which are still supported by MetaQuotes - are 500, 509, and 600. That's three, not dozens.

(The anecdotal evidence on this forum about brokers writing to their clients also suggests that it's not a small part of users who are having problems with v600).

gchrmt4:

The normal procedure would be for the installer or software to refuse to work on unsupported operating systems. (There is a lot of XP in China, and some of that is probably SP2. If MetaQuotes want to be big in China - which they do - then they need to support XP, and they probably need to quasi-support XP SP2.)

There aren't "dozens" of terminal versions. Each broker's installation is fundamentally identical. The only officially-released versions of MT4 which can still connect to a server - i.e. which are still supported by MetaQuotes - are 500, 509, and 600. That's three, not dozens.

(The anecdotal evidence on this forum about brokers writing to their clients also suggests that it's not a small part of users who are having problems with v600).

So what ? People who can't use their old MT4 platform and who don't know how to update won't complain ?

They are not dozens of versions BECAUSE the automatic update policy of Metaquotes. If the server won't accept old version and there is no automatic update, it will not be some dozens of people who open topics here but thousands.

I never wrote that there is only a small part of users who are having problems with build 60x, I am talking about automatic update. No one of my customers complains about auto.update nor build 60x. (of course it's not representative).

The big changes in mql4 are announced 7 months ago. Why so many people are surprised by this automatic update ?

angevoyageur:

So what ? People who can't use their old MT4 platform and who don't know how to update won't complain ?

They are not dozens of versions BECAUSE the automatic update policy of Metaquotes. If the server won't accept old version and there is no automatic update, it will not be some dozens of people who open topics here but thousands.

I never wrote that there is only a small part of users who are having problems with build 60x, I am talking about automatic update. No one of my customers complains about auto.update nor build 60x. (of course it's not representative).

The big changes in mql4 are announced 7 months ago. Why so many people are surprised by this automatic update ?

If so many people are surprised by the update, doesn't that in itself tell you the answer - that somewhere along the lines communication of the update has been poor and not reached the vast majority of end users.

Three brokers I spoke to said that Metaquotes had not informed them of the impending update and that communication from Metaquotes was pretty much non-existent.

Either Metaquotes don't do a good job off informing their clients (brokers) of the update that are planned and what this will mean for the end user or the brokers don't pass on the information.

At the end of the day this latest release is just an beta release, rushed through (with known bugs in the change in coding structure) because Metaquotes want to play catchup with social trading and the 3rd party app market place, it's a pure money making update rather than an update that benefits the end user in a significant way e.g. as a professional manual trader there is not one benefit from this 'major' update, I still have to work with single trade processing and thus inferior execution times which is very antiquated in this age - but Metaquotes don't care as their business plan is solely about maximising missed revenue streams

I bet if brokers and Metaquotes ran a poll of whether the upgrades that occurred this week a) benefited, b) made no difference or c) hindered the end users the results would be significantly weighed in the latter. But of course this is and was predictable before now which just goes to show where Metaquotes business interest lies - maximising missed revenue streams from wrongly focussing on MT5 creation and development rather than MT4 social / signal trading and the 3rd party app market place.

angevoyageur:

And nobody ever has an answer for the weekly regular question, when will we get this upadte, we only had opinions

like "probably in this century". Then all of a sudden it was announced 5 days before launch and then the beta fixing went on.

And we got what could be expected. I think marketing managers pushed the company to the limit to force this market

tab in the browser, So far I was not so close to abandon this whole business, there are dozens of programming environments

out there, I am already very tired of this.

BTW, how many percent of the users should visit this site regularly to know when to sit on nails before/after update? I use

windows every day and I don't have surprises when I don't look at msdn for a week.

In MetaEditor Cyrillic does not work.

angevoyageur:

It is obviously possible to support a small number of versions without immediately forcing people onto the latest version. You force an update - or display a warning - in the oldest version when it is about to expire.

gchrmt4:

I am getting surprised every time the terminal start and immediately quits. It looks like a fatal failure during startup if I do not know the reason.

I usually start nervously to double-click the MT4 shortcut to start it up again, until I realize it has been a stealth update. I hate it, as it gives courage to MQL4 script vendors to implement their own stealth updates (I tried it a year ago, it apparently worked).

It is NOT in line with my feelings.

Reason: