Simple experts - page 7

reymaq:

reymaq

If I am guessing right (since I can not see from your post what is the post about), the problem is in the name

Use this indicator

Files:

can you suggest a thread that explains how to test EAs? Is it possible to automate testing of an EA when one or more parameters are changing? 

I found the answer about testing EAs. Nice and easy:

http://www.easyexpertforex.com/backtesting-optimization.html

My question is now whether we can do the same with indicators? How would you test an indicator and see if it makes sense to make an EA? Is this possible at all? 

Hi Mladen,
I'm looking for a simple breakout EA which you might already have in your archive.
The EA should enter a
trade on the break of a given hour's range.
I know there are specific EAs for certain times of
the day, but I'd like to be able to enter in a start
and end time to use as the range, eg: start
9amGMT candle, then end 1pm candle. The EA should mark the high and the low of the range then place buy stop and sell stop one pip above the high and one pip below the low. The distance between the high and low of the range should be used as a Stoploss for both the buy stop and sell stop. Then Take profit should be twice Stoploss value. Even when one order is triggered,the other order should not be deleted,it should remain valid untill the end of the day.
Risk factor should be calculated depending on the stoploss. Also if possible it should have max slippage and max spread settings.
Is it possible to have such EA? 
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Reymaq.

Exclusive Forum

Simple experts

Dostoyevsky, 2016.05.15 19:51

can you suggest a thread that explains how to test EAs? Is it possible to automate testing of an EA when one or more parameters are changing? 

Indicators (if they are non-repainting) are very easy to test (at least in my opinion)

If you do not want to scalp, simply attach them to the chart with some settings and see through the history what will it produce. Coupled with the usual MM you are using, and discharging the too optimistic entries (when people think that entry is on the best price of the first bar where the signal happened) you can get reasonable and realistic picture of what some indicator do in a matter of seconds (and that I why I like the indicators so much)

PS: scalping is a different story altogether and no test will help you in that - for multiple reasons (for one, the variable spreads that brokers are using in times of high volatility which are meant to prevent scalping)

Can you give general advice (code) on how to handle opening an order using multiple indicators.  For example using a moving avg, velocity and stochastic or some other.  Thanks.

donut4popo:
Can you give general advice (code) on how to handle opening an order using multiple indicators.  For example using a moving avg, velocity and stochastic or some other.  Thanks.

It depends on the rules you want to apply

In general : get the desired states of all the desired indicators, and then check the combined states of all the indicators

mladen:

Indicators (if they are non-repainting) are very easy to test (at least in my opinion)

If you do not want to scalp, simply attach them to the chart with some settings and see through the history what will it produce. Coupled with the usual MM you are using, and discharging the too optimistic entries (when people think that entry is on the best price of the first bar where the signal happened) you can get reasonable and realistic picture of what some indicator do in a matter of seconds (and that I why I like the indicators so much)

PS: scalping is a different story altogether and no test will help you in that - for multiple reasons (for one, the variable spreads that brokers are using in times of high volatility which are meant to prevent scalping)

Mladen,

thank you for your reply. It appears that not everything is fixed as I haven't seen a notification in my profile about your reply. Nevertheless, personally I strongly prefer everything automated. As soon as you get an opportunity to visually expect something you easily get biased. So I really like the idea about simple experts where you can get the exact results. 

When you mentioned MM, does it stand for "M"oney "M"anagement? 

And finally this might not be the best place to suggest something like this but it is something to do with EAs. Also I'm not sure it will make sense but there you are to let me know if it's the case. If I'm not wrong I can see that majority of activity is about indicators but I was wondering if you and other cutting edge developers here can push it to the next level. My idea is to build an EA framework where we can plug and play with different indicators. So it's like here in this thread with these simple experts but if you want you can change the indicator and use one you like as long as you know how to compile it. For example the idea would be to change iCustom in "simple (Hull variation) EA" and compile with "Slope Direction Line Modified" instead of "Hull variation 2" so you get completely new EA and the change is very simple even for people like me. Of course the name of the EA would be appropriate and not misleading like the example above after the change. I guess with regards to MM the EA would also have a plug and play framework where we can use different indicators like bollinger bands for stop loss. What do you think about this? Does it make sense? Is something like this possible at all?

Can you suggest a good read about MM? A good thread with examples?

Regards. 

Dostoyevsky:

Mladen,

thank you for your reply. It appears that not everything is fixed as I haven't seen a notification in my profile about your reply. Nevertheless, personally I strongly prefer everything automated. As soon as you get an opportunity to visually expect something you easily get biased. So I really like the idea about simple experts where you can get the exact results. 

When you mentioned MM, does it stand for "M"oney "M"anagement? 

And finally this might not be the best place to suggest something like this but it is something to do with EAs. Also I'm not sure it will make sense but there you are to let me know if it's the case. If I'm not wrong I can see that majority of activity is about indicators but I was wondering if you and other cutting edge developers here can push it to the next level. My idea is to build an EA framework where we can plug and play with different indicators. So it's like here in this thread with these simple experts but if you want you can change the indicator and use one you like as long as you know how to compile it. For example the idea would be to change iCustom in "simple (Hull variation) EA" and compile with "Slope Direction Line Modified" instead of "Hull variation 2" so you get completely new EA and the change is very simple even for people like me. Of course the name of the EA would be appropriate and not misleading like the example above after the change. I guess with regards to MM the EA would also have a plug and play framework where we can use different indicators like bollinger bands for stop loss. What do you think about this? Does it make sense? Is something like this possible at all?

Can you suggest a good read about MM? A good thread with examples?

Regards. 

The plug-and-play idea is an old idea, but due to a difference of indicators (parameters, the way they work, the way they are coded, and so on, and so on ...) it is not doable.

MM is money management (as you have told). Good ideas about MM can be found in the STAD books about trading systems

PS: I would not agree that the EAs are the "next level". This time I will give just one reason why : indicators are much more universal than any EA will ever be in any case and in any way of coding. So, EAs are just using indicators (in almost all cases) with some specific conditions, leaving the whole world of non-specified conditions for those same indicators unused. I know that the EAs are attractive (mainly because trader does not have to know anything at all about trading when using EA), but because of the usual "plug-and-pray" effect the EAs have, I would always suggest that any trader first learns to use indicators in a proper way, and only then to try to make some system (when all the "how to use the indicator" questions are clarified)

mladen:

The plug-and-play idea is an old idea, but due to a difference of indicators (parameters, the way they work, the way they are coded, and so on, and so on ...) it is not doable.

MM is money management (as you have told). Good ideas about MM can be found in the STAD books about trading systems

PS: I would not agree that the EAs are the "next level". This time I will give just one reason why : indicators are much more universal than any EA will ever be in any case and in any way of coding. So, EAs are just using indicators (in almost all cases) with some specific conditions, leaving the whole world of non-specified conditions for those same indicators unused. I know that the EAs are attractive (mainly because trader does not have to know anything at all about trading when using EA), but because of the usual "plug-and-pray" effect the EAs have, I would always suggest that any trader first learns to use indicators in a proper way, and only then to try to make some system (when all the "how to use the indicator" questions are clarified)

Sorry what is STAD? My search for "STAD books about trading systems" on google came back with lots of sites for robots. Is there any thread here on TSD about MM?

I think I understood what you meant (let's forget about plug and play) but if you have a simple EA based on a single indicator isn't it easier to test it with strategy tester. The question is how to cycle through different indicator parameters combinations (if we are on the same page this would be specific and non-specific conditions you were talking about). For example if you decide to use the SuperTrend indicator there are two parameters there, namely, period (usually 10) and multiplier (usually 3.0). Obviously you would consider a reasonable range, let's say, between 5 and 15 for period and 2.0 and 4.0 for multiplier. Is there any way to automate this testing? For example you would start with 5 for period and you would cycle through the range for multiplier from 2.0 to 4.0, then you would increment the period to 6 and cycle through multiplier and so on... I guess this would take some time but at the end you would get the results recorded and easy to compare i.e. easy to see which combination of parameters is, sort of, "the best". That's why I prefer EAs and strategy tester because you can see straight on what is good and not so good and discard combinations that would take you to the abyss. 

I do appreciate your suggestion that any trader should first learn to use indicators in a proper way but I'm not sure I understand what you tried to say. Can you give me an example with RSI (Relative Strength Index). From my point of view all that I need to know as a non-programmer is how to change parameter for period to something reasonable. I know the default value is 14 so if I change it to 1587 I should know that I cannot expect anything reasonable. I will get something but I cannot expect it to make sense. Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Reason: