Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 157

Ovo:
Though I welcome the enhanced syntax and the new commands in MQL4, the new opportunity means that we all became volunteer testers. The limited backward compatibility was expensive for me, because I did not like hot fixes, so I needed to re-code. I assume that casual coders cannot succeed currently, because they simply cannot afford invest so much time into the "new opportunities".

One of the "unreasonable reasons" why one should stay with old metatrader :

iRSI(0,0,14,PRICE_CLOSE,0);

No compiler errors, no runtime errors, no result ... not for any built function, indicator or custom indicator. How many more like these? I know where the error is, but metatrader compiler does not. So it makes me a compiler instead of a new metatrader 4 compiler?

techmac:

No compiler errors, no runtime errors, no result ... not for any built function, indicator or custom indicator. How many more like these? I know where the error is, but metatrader compiler does not. So it makes me a compiler instead of a new metatrader 4 compiler?

Lol. Very true. From my point of view the biggest mistake was that they created a hybrid. If they kept the legacy scripting language and added the "new opportunity" language as an option, that would make sense for me. Unfortunately they decided the other way. It is hard to be a dog and a cat simultaneously.

I wonder if they intend to add commands for shopping in a book-store.

techmac:

Too many examples like that :):)

mladen:
Too many examples like that :):)

So many that sometimes I don't know who is working : terminal or me picking my nose

Been reading that announcement and I can not get if old build ex4 files will be supported. That has not been explained at all. Anybody has any idea?

techmac:
Been reading that announcement and I can not get if old build ex4 files will be supported. That has not been explained at all. Anybody has any idea?

Some more info :

Metatrader 4 for windows mobile will be canceled soon too

No info so far if support old ex4 will be discontinued (assumption is that we shall be able to execute those - but that is just a guess)

mladen:
Some more info :

No info so far if support old ex4 will be discontinued (assumption is that we shall be able to execute those - but that is just a guess)

Russian part of forum? (I haven't found anything in the English part)

Cancellations, cancellations ... only the magazines stay

mladen:
Some more info :

This link Why Is It Important to Update MetaTrader 4 to the Latest Build by August 1? - MQL4 Articles says that the old ex4's will still execute:

"Though MQL4 language has been updated up to MQL5 level, previous EX4 programs compiled by build 509 or older compiler remain operable in the new MetaTrader 4. "

Cody_R:
This link Why Is It Important to Update MetaTrader 4 to the Latest Build by August 1? - MQL4 Articles says that the old ex4's will still execute: "Though MQL4 language has been updated up to MQL5 level, previous EX4 programs compiled by build 509 or older compiler remain operable in the new MetaTrader 4. "

That is from an announcement for build 600 (just patched to that one sentence that fro August the 1st build 509 and earlier will not be supported any more_

About the whole thing there is actually just one sentence and a few comments from renat. The rest is advertisement

Does not matter or not if they are going to be supported : some are already not working as they should. Is anybody prepared to risk to find out that ex4 he is using is not working properly on new metatrader 4?

Reason: