SYNERGY Trading Method - page 29

New Version

I have made a few changes/improvements to the Synergy EA.

It seems some out there are finding that the indicator does not behave correctly, or does not put up arrows where the EA trades, or vice versa.

I have not had time yet to try to go over the SynergyInd thoroughly to try to find problems, but it seems to work pretty reliably for me. So for now, it is unchanged. Please make sure that your EA and Ind have the same (entry/exit) settings, or of course they will behave differently. I guess if you have troubles; see a signal where there should not be one, or vice versa, then it would be most helpful to me if you post a screen shot of the issue, along with the time/date it occurred, the pair, and the brokerage you are using. That way I can go back specifically and find the bug.

Same goes for the EA, although, as I said, I have made changes, so please forward test the new one and post any problems with it.

Regarding .set files, the only thing I can offer is my best guess for settings; the ones I am testing now. And I have just made those the defaults, so no settings file needed. I am only using GBPJPY, hourly chart right now, and that is what the defaults are for. On both Ind and EA, by default, the only entry condition used is "UseVolExpanding", and the only enabled exit is "UseOppPAC_Trail" (see below).

The 30 minute would probably be okay too, but I am finding shorter or longer does not work as well. The reason for using only GBPJPY is that it moves so much that it's much easier to attain a worthwhile pip goal on more of the entries.

I do not pretend to say that someone could not get it working well on another pair/TF, but you'll have to experiment for that. If you do, I advise possibly modifying the TakeProfit and the TrailingValue.

What has been added and tested:

#1:

I have added / fixed the "UseOppPAC_Trail" option. This defaults to true, and places the stop on the other side of the Price Action Channel. As the channel moves, so does the SL; therefore in a sense, it "trails", so long as the PAC is moving in a favourable direction.

#2:

There is a new option called "SplitOrder", defaulted to true. When true and it gets a signal, it will place two orders instead of one, each with half the lots. One of them will be placed with a TakeProfit setting (whatever TakeProfit) is set to; the other will have no TP and will run as long as the trend lasts, eventually stopping out when a candle closes on the opposite side of the PAC (see #1).

With the default settings, there is also a 100 pip trail which kicks in when it reaches 100 profit (and therefore the first half of the trade closes). I observed this seems to help lock in more profit than not using it, while still allowing it enough room to vacillate.

All necessary files can be found in the latest .zip file, attached.

Happy Thanksgiving and good trading!

-Derk

Files:

Optimization results are in!!!!!!

There are in CSV so you can pull this into your favorite spreadsheet program to see what the best settings are.

The data that was used was GBPJPY 1H 1/1/2007 - 11/23/2007.

Have fun!

Files:

Optimization Analysis

I have not analyzed MT4 optimization data before but I gave it a shot in xls, see attachment for details. (I assumed that 'expected payoff' is the % profit and a higher number is better).

I grouped the data into 4 groups (A,B,C,D ) ranked by expected profit, each group is 25% of the data approx 53 data points. Group A is the top 25% expected profit, B is next, then C, and D is the lowest 25%. I plotted each group by variable to see if any of the settings for group A stood out. Then I plotted just group A and D looking at the best 25% and worst 25% expected profit. I noticed 3 unique differences:

1. Group A did not use 'UsedClosedInside' but most of the trades in group D did use this.

2. Group A used 'RedRedYellowCombo' less that D, approx 1/3 less.

3. Group A used 'UseEntry68_32' on many more trades that D, approx 50% more.

Looks lke these may be the biggest knobs between good and bad trades. There are other differences in the settings between A and D but appear to be less significant, see attachment for breakdown. mike

Files:

guernica:

If you are talking about all the Alerts at the end of the file you posted, those are from the Inidcator. I suggest turning off Alerts in the Ind and turn them on only in the EA.

-Derk

-----------------------------------

Thanks Derk.

I think that solves the problem.

Best Regards.

Overnight trading

Down $300 overnight on an FXDD demo account trading 4 pairs. Open trades now $250 in the black. Here is one of the charts. Let me know if settings need to be changed.

autumn

Files:

autumnleaves:
Down $300 overnight on an FXDD demo account trading 4 pairs. Open trades now $250 in the black. Here is one of the charts. Let me know if settings need to be changed. autumn

Autumn,

Run it in the 1 hour TF. It seems to work better up there.

Big Arrows And X's

DerkWehler:
Fowope:

Why are your arrows and "X"s so large / how did you make them so? Is there some kind of setting for that I am unaware of?

-Derk

If you call up the indicator and find the color selector, you will find to the right of the color, the style and width you wish. If you select # 3 or # 4 for width, you will get BIG arrows and x's. Andy (a/k/a tradermon)

Settings changed

Thanks nondisclosure, I've set it to 1 hour. Will report back tomorrow.

autumn

Reason: