Live Testing reports - page 42

Mode 3 5.7.2 on FXDD

Hi Bert and Azbo,

did as you suggested and opened an account at FXDD, but with version 5.7.2 in mode 3, using ConsecSignals=15. For comparison I'm running another account on Alpari in Mode 1, but ConsecSignals=30.

One trade did open, but it does not appear to be very promising. Please see the attached chart, which is displayed with Heiken Ashi indicator. A sell in that position does not appear warranted to me. What do you think?

Files:

autumnleaves:
Thanks very much for your advice Azbo and Bert. I am indeed listening. But let me clarify.

I stated earlier that I was testing 5.7.2 in Mode 1, as I understood that the reason 5.7.2 was created was so that it could be tested. I tested Mode 1 because I want to make sure it is clean before moving on to Mode 2 or 3, which I thought had bugs in 5.7.0. I also tested all 6 pairs so that we could accumulate data on multiple trades with different currencies. The testing was done with both the default settings and (in some cases) a set of "optimized" settings. Neither of the two was able to generate consistent winnings over the 2 weeks of testing, so I decided that it was time to try another approach. Accordingly, I have been offering suggestions regarding indicators and methodologies that have been brought to my attention recently.

I would be happy to test 5.7.2 in Mode 3 as you propose. Assuming that there are no known bugs in that Mode. I thought the bugs still hadn't been worked out of Mode 3 in 5.7.0. Please clarify.

To Daraknor, is it possible to simplify your optimization instructions? I have spent so much time optimizing it has all become rather confusing.

You are doing a great job Autumn and you are one of the few sharing...

Coz some others went to their huts with there own settings and good bye... Thanks...

Meanwhile the last stable version is P570 : Phoenix five seven ZERO ( not 1 or 2 or 2a : only ZERO)

As said by AZBO go to FXDD, (why ? best brooker for the moment) open an demo account, put P570 on the best curs now USD/JPY, USD/CHF, GB/US and EUR/JPY...

Let them boiled... go fishing... swimming... walking... loving... whatever...

Well all the things that you never do coz you are stick at your monitor...

Wait for P6... and when P6 will come... another story but in the meantime : cool

My 2c

NB to morrow statement... For now increased capital of +52 % in 11 weeks...

m6m6:
I am live with 5.7.1. And all backtest I done with the 2 versions gave identical results. For what I understand, one of the generous collaborator rearanged the inside coding of 5.7.0 to be easier to understand for guys like me. And, it's true !

5.7.1 has an issue where if you look at your optimized settings and attempt to save the results as a file, the settings are chopped off. The variable names are too long to fit within the copy buffer of around 817 characters. Due to this limitation in MT4 we released 5.7.2 with shorter variable names.

I had been tinkering with the settings and looking at erratic trading behavior. I'm fairly convinced it is better to have "fast faster than slow" for settings. If you look at the settings for Phoenix 5.7, you see:

Fast_Period = 25;

Slow_Period = 15;

That means 25 bars 'for fast' settings and 15 bars 'for slow' settings. This a misnomer, and it reverses the direction of the signal. If the signal is working properly, it seems to be more reliable. If the names match the behaviors, the settings would be:

Fast_Period = 15; //actually faster

Slow_Period = 25; //actually slower

If the settings are completely useless, it won't matter which direction the trade goes, and any setting is random entry. If we trust the (inferred) design goal of looking for condensing trades waiting for reversals, then having valid signals makes more sense.

In optimization runs, I found high performance for both legal and backwards settings, but legal settings seemed to have higher performance. Rather than have erratic results or "backtest only" settings, we modified the code. 5.7.2 is really a release intended for people who want better settings. 5.7.0 is stable, and I'm proud we have a stable release that is performing well (still) on some currencies. We should update our settings, and find some valid ones that will work long term. I recommend trading 5.7.0 and optimizing 5.7.2

autumnleaves:

I would be happy to test 5.7.2 in Mode 3 as you propose. Assuming that there are no known bugs in that Mode. I thought the bugs still hadn't been worked out of Mode 3 in 5.7.0. Please clarify.

To Daraknor, is it possible to simplify your optimization instructions? I have spent so much time optimizing it has all become rather confusing.

5.7.0 is stable in mode 3. I haven't really tested mode 2, I don't know if anyone is using it. It is easy to make mode 3 pretend to be mode 2, I should probably kill mode2 and update directions in future releases. This method is built into phoenix 6 already, and I like it. (Phoenix6: Up to 6 trades, with configurable percentage of TP for each trade. 0% TP = not used.)

I'm going to spend more time on optimization documentation soon. I'm moving this weekend and I have 3 other priorities (add new hosting customers, getting glx working over vnc, and updating PhoenixFund info). There was some good documentation written by other people.

Short version:

5.7.0 Mode3 Yes

5.7.0 Mode2 Untested I think

Documentation soon

autumnleaves:
Hi Bert and Azbo,

did as you suggested and opened an account at FXDD, but with version 5.7.2 in mode 3, using ConsecSignals=15. For comparison I'm running another account on Alpari in Mode 1, but ConsecSignals=30.

One trade did open, but it does not appear to be very promising. Please see the attached chart, which is displayed with Heiken Ashi indicator. A sell in that position does not appear warranted to me. What do you think?

Oh My God !

Autunm pls : F X D D

P h e o n i x 5 7 0 (FIVE SEVEN ZERO) mode 1 or 2 or 3 (better 3)

I n s i d e s e t t i n g s ( n o i n v e n t s) f u l l a u t o

yes ? Got it ?

(you seems to be an intelligent guy.. but sometimes you are more obstinate than my dog !!!! No flame, only kidding!! )

daraknor:
5.7.0 is stable in mode 3. I haven't really tested mode 2, I don't know if anyone is using it. It is easy to make mode 3 pretend to be mode 2, I should probably kill mode2 and update directions in future releases. This method is built into phoenix 6 already, and I like it. (Phoenix6: Up to 6 trades, with configurable percentage of TP for each trade. 0% TP = not used.)

I'm going to spend more time on optimization documentation soon. I'm moving this weekend and I have 3 other priorities (add new hosting customers, getting glx working over vnc, and updating PhoenixFund info). There was some good documentation written by other people.

Short version:

5.7.0 Mode3 Yes

5.7.0 Mode2 Untested I think

Documentation soon

Darak

No problem to kill mode 2!

And for doc : the one posted is good , the one for test is good too... ( +Pcontour one's)

Then don't waste time : do what you have to do ( a moving is NOT a simple thing !)

AUTUNM

BTW : I have the same trade(s) (mode 3 = x 3) on USD/CHF...

I agree with you : it seems NOT good....

Patience, patience and patience...

To morrow is another day in the wonderfull crazy day of Fx...

(NB for your charts : put Heineken Ashi to dustbin : put trader dynamic and keep only the yellow and red line (put the other's in black)

Versions versions

Hi Bert,

Such flattery! You get extra pips for kindness.

So what is the problem with 5.7.2? I thought it was supposed to be basically 5.7.0 with some streamlining of names plus in mode 1, a fix to the trailing stop? What I want to test is the trailing stop, and that doesn't have any effect on the quality of the trades Phoenix engages, does it?

Actually I like the Heineken, so I think I'll leave it on. Thanks for the tip about Traders Dynamic. It looks good alongside Heineken. I'll post some charts later when a few trades start happening.

If you look on the dev thread, you can see the whole story. Variables renamed was one part, but "fast should be faster than slow" was another major change - and it impacted a lot of people. If you optimize 5.7.2 instead of 5.7.0 I think you will get more reliable settings.

Optimizing 5.7.2a

Hi Daraknor,

Thank you for your comments.

I am currently running 5.7.2 on a demo without optimization. My first attempt to optimize 5.7.2 did not yield positive results. I would like to optimize it, of course. Are there special procedures for optimizing 5.7.2 that did not exist for 5.7.0?

Autumn

Reason: