News and break out trading. Check this out. - page 2

Alecco yassou to you too. (meaning hello for the non Greek speaking audience )

John,

I got your point now and you're right. I will add 2 parameters that will cover both your issue as well as Alecco's. One parameter that will keep any pending orders live for xx minutes, and another one that will shut down triggered trade after xx minutes if neither SL or TP are hit.

I expect to be able to release new update by the end of the day or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and for helping making it better.

News 8.30AM EST

Yannis,

I set the EA to trade the various announcements at 8.30AM EST GBPUSD using a M5 chart it said that it would adjust the pending orders until 2 minutes prior to the news event and that the news event was at 15.30 brokers time.

What happened was that it was still adjusting the pending orders 25 minutes after the event so obviously it could not activate a trade.

I removed the EA and deleted the pending trades but took a screen shot prior.

Please comment on why this happened. The screen indicated one scenario but it didn't follow the plan.

John

Files:
straddle5.gif  57 kb

John,

What happened is simply a monumental bug that slept through my fingers, mostly due to my lack of time to forward test it thoroughly before releasing. I'm terribly pressed by time for day job the whole week and on the other hand i know everyone impatiently waits for updates. This is a mistake.

Nevertheless the bug is fixed, good thing it made me discover another one hidden and the additions are also implemented. Problem is that i had practically no feed to verify everything so i will release it tomorrow but still need to be careful. This is why i remind everyone NOT to take it live (for news) until we are sure everything works as expected.

I'm sorry for the troubles caused, and many thanks to all of you for the feedback you provide.

I think your doing a great job. I noticed nothing wrong in my testing. But If you found another bug that you fixed cool.

No hurry take your time.

and thanks for all your effort.

Dave

STraddle&Trail v3.30

Here is the latest version which fixes a couple of bugs but also implements the 2 additions discussed on previous posts. You will find 2 new parameters:

"Kill.Pending.After.Minutes=xx" Once the straddle is placed, the ea will check this parameter and if it is set to a value > 0 it will remove any pending order if not triggered at that time.

"Kill.Triggered.After.Minutes=xx" Same as above but for triggered trades that are going 'nowhere' xx minutes after event (neither SL or TP is reached).

Be cautious, all changes have been done without the possibility to check against live feed. This will be done today.

Files:

Forward testing

Yannis:
Here is the latest version which fixes a couple of bugs but also implements the 2 additions discussed on previous posts. You will find 2 new parameters:

"Kill.Pending.After.Minutes=xx" Once the straddle is placed, the ea will check this parameter and if it is set to a value > 0 it will remove any pending order if not triggered at that time.

"Kill.Triggered.After.Minutes=xx" Same as above but for triggered trades that are going 'nowhere' xx minutes after event (neither SL or TP is reached).

Be cautious, all changes have been done without the possibility to check against live feed. This will be done today.

Thank you Yannis,

I have loaded this EA with the following settings

ShutDown.NOW=0

sStr00= 0=Everything

sStr01= 1=All Triggered Positions

sStr02= 2=Triggered Long

sStr03= 3=Triggered Short

sStr04= 4=All Pending Positions

sStr05= 5=Pending Long

sStr06= 6=Pending Short

ShutDown.What=0

ShutDown.Current.Pair.Only=1

sStr1==== POSITION DETAILS ===

Lots=0.30000000

Take.Out.Lots=0.10000000

Slippage=10

StopLoss.Pips=30

TakeProfit.Pips=60

Trail.Pips=15

Trail.Starts.After.BreakEven=1

Move.To.BreakEven.Lock.pips=1

Move.To.BreakEven.at.pips=15

sStr2==== NEWS EVENT ===

Enable.News.Trading=1

Distance.From.Price=30

Event.Start.Hour=17

Event.Start.Minutes=0

Pre.Event.Entry.Minutes=30

Stop.Adjusting.Min.Before.Event=2

Remove.Opposite.Order=1

Adjust.Pending.Orders=1

Kill.Pending.After.Minutes=10

Kill.Triggered.After.Minutes=10

Place.Straddle.Immediately=0

Debug=0

The time is set for the 10pm EST news release

The EA is wearing a grey hat is that because we now have an ex4 file rather than the previous mtq one?

John

Files:
straddle5_1.gif  56 kb

John,

Yes this why the ea is grayed out under the Expert Advisors tab of the Navigator. But the functionality of the expert has not changed at all. Just make sure that the time that you set up for your news release is your broker's time.

I am having an issue with the source code, it's always the same thing, someone takes it and then sells it as it own. So i decide to continue making Straddle&Trail better but without releasing the source code any more.

Hi everyone,

Here is the latest version (3.30). This one should take care of the problem, i tried it today on a few occasions (not during news though), SL was hit on 3 trades without triggering any other trade immediately.

John,

I don't know if it's a "common" problem with MT4 brokers, but one thing is sure. They know all too well that most of the "small" traders trading news have their stops between 15 to 30 pips max. Usually when i straddle the news, i try keeping my pending orders around 30 pips distance from price. Depending on volatility and price movement as time approaches i may change my settings from initial 30 pips to 25 or 20. Generally i prefer getting in for as much as the broker allows me to be close to the price with my trail. I prefer to take what i can from the table with more lots than to be greedy and go after the big one. If it goes fast one way (my way hopefully) i don't mind but i don't let it reverse if i can. If my stop is hit, i turn to manual and stay on hold and evaluate. Often i stay out until things settle down and i get a clearer picture. News never end.

Yannis

yassou

yaaaaasouuu yannis

i will try your ea on a new release and come back to you

if it is possible to send me privatly the mq4 i will be more then happy to help ajust it according to another one i bought

and maybe share some of my real accounts working ea with you

my email is :aleccoh@yahoo.com

Hi,

Well, this time Straddle&Trail worked like a charme.

I had wrong hours set up and this gave me the occasion to see the ea deleting pending orders after 10 minutes where price didn't hit any of them. In fact i was searching my pending orders, having forgot the new feature

Everything was properly in place half an hour before 14.00 GMT news, with 3 lots, take out 1 each time, SL30, TP60 and Trail at 15. The positions closed for a total of +64 pips (+15 +31 +18), i was expecting a little more on 3 lots but cannot complain overall.

I hope no one experienced any "malfunction" this time. Any feedback welcome.

Reason: