************Forum EA Contest .... Lets Have Some Fun************** - page 7

SDC:

Ubzen I have a suggestion, how about you edit the first post to display the actual rules that are to be used (seeing as they were discussed and modified throughout the thread) and did you consider using mt4 on a VPS for the competition ?

For now it will be running on a real physical server and not a VPS with the following specs:

Motherboard: Intel DQ35JO

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 8GB

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 Server (64 bit OS) with SP1

A VPS costs money, and for now, since there is no "money" involved, not even a Prize, lets keep it "among friends"!

FMIC:

The first run, is a Test Run, so we can see what needs to be refined, so I guess that for the first try, a few things are going to be "against the rules".

However, "ubzen" has started defining the rules and has posted them on the profile for the Competition Account under the name "UbzenChallenge" < https://www.mql5.com/en/users/ubzenchallenge >

I guess things will be slowly refined and improved by the time of the second and "real" competition begins.

So I guess what you are saying that that everyone should wait till things are sorted for round 2 before entering ?

RaptorUK:
So I guess what you are saying that that everyone should wait till things are sorted for round 2 before entering ?

No, I am saying that whoever participates will automatically be entered in the second and real contest, just with some corrections to make EA's abide by the set rules. For now, as stated it is an "among friends" type of attitude.

Since there is no Prize as per Ubzen's wishes, I am sure that in the spirit of things people should take that into account.

If however, no one wants to participate, then we will know that the "No Prize" and in the spirit of "friendly completion" is not going to cut it and we will have to consider another approach.

FMIC:

No, I am saying that whoever participates will automatically be entered in the second and real contest, just with some corrections to make EA's abide by the set rules. For now, as stated it is an "among friends" type of attitude.

Since there is no Prize as per Ubzen's wishes, I am sure that in the spirit of things people should take that into account.

If however, no one wants to participate, then we will know that the "No Prize" and in the spirit of "friendly completion" is not going to cut it and we will have to consider another approach.

The most important thing about any competition, regardless of a prize, is fairness to all possible entrants . . . this is not facilitated by changing rules after entrants have already entered.

Here is an example of how Indicator Code is embedded in an EA to make it self contained.

Please note, however, that it is a BAD example as it is poorly written and quite a few things are superfluous, but it was a quick search on the code base and this one popped up first.

https://www.mql5.com/en/code/8995

However, I am sure most of you will get the gist of things even if it is not the best of examples!!!

FMIC:

A VPS costs money, and for now, since there is no "money" involved, not even a Prize, lets keep it "among friends"!

OK it was just a thought, but for future reference there are certain brokers (I wont mention by name for not wanting to break the rules of this forum) that offer free VPS hosting with an account.

RaptorUK:
The most important thing about any competition, regardless of a prize, is fairness to all possible entrants . . . this is not facilitated by changing rules after entrants have already entered.

My opinion on the matter has already been stated to "ubzen" about how I think it should be run and how rigorous it should be. Since "ubzen" expressed that being too rigorous would slow things down, I am mealy expressing in my own words what I believe he wants done.

Since the first run will not exclude anyone after the run, and will go onto the real competition, it is neither "unfair" or "fair" to all, but I will leave that up to "ubzen". I am just the "Host"!!!!

SDC:

OK it was just a thought, but for future reference there are certain brokers (I wont mention by name for not wanting to break the rules of this forum) that offer free VPS hosting with an account.

I know, and I have used them, but since they are free, they are usually quite limiting both in CPU cycles, amount of RAM and Disk space.

For example, in one case a Free VPS offers 51MB RAM, 1 CPU Core/Thread at 2.0GHZ, and 5GB HD free.

Compare that to the specs I have provided for my server and tell me which one will be better suited for running 5 copies of MT4 side by side with EA's running on them?

FMIC:

Since the first run will not exclude anyone after the run, and will go onto the real competition, it is neither "unfair" or "fair" to all, but I will leave that up to "ubzen". I am just the "Host"!!!!

It doesn't need to actively exclude anyone to be unfair . . . if an entrant decides not to enter based on a set of rules which later are changed in such a way that the entrant might have entered after all then the competition is unfair to that potential entrant. This is why it is standard practice that rules are not changed once entries have begun. In some circumstances where the list of possible entrants are known it is possible to change rules or make clarifications . . . but it then involves contacting all the possible entrants to inform them of the clarification . . . this is fair.

FMIC:

Here is an example of how Indicator Code is embedded in an EA to make it self contained.

Please note, however, that it is a BAD example as it is poorly written and quite a few things are superfluous, but it was a quick search on the code base and this one popped up first.

https://www.mql5.com/en/code/8995

However, I am sure most of you will get the gist of things even if it is not the best of examples!!!

Does that code actually work as intended ? Do the Indicator only functions return the correct values ?
Reason: