************Forum EA Contest .... Lets Have Some Fun************** - page 8

Gold allowed?

RaptorUK:
Does that code actually work as intended ? Do the Indicator only functions return the correct values ?

I have not debugged it but have compiled and tested it in the Strategy Tester. Yes, it works, but does not display the Indicator "Visually" but the code does function, at least at first glance.

However, in my own EA's, I go about it in a different way, but cannot use it as an example as my own code is segregated into several libraries with other functionality.

The example is just indicative of what is asked for. Many EA's in the codebase usually have basic calculations (reductions of more complex indicators) within the EA which would be equivalent to the self-contained idea.

FMIC:

My opinion on the matter has already been stated to "ubzen" about how I think it should be run and how rigorous it should be. Since "ubzen" expressed that being too rigorous would slow things down, I am mealy expressing in my own words what I believe he wants done.

Since the first run will not exclude anyone after the run, and will go onto the real competition, it is neither "unfair" or "fair" to all, but I will leave that up to "ubzen". I am just the "Host"!!!!

I agree it would slow things down, the more rules there are, the less particpants there will be, I would have said anything goes as long as it passes a basic test (ie does not crash mt4), just upload the ex4's and let the games begin :) If it was a serious competition with big prize money it might require a strong set of rules but for a friendly competition there is nothing to be gained by making it restrictive.

FMIC:

I have not debugged it but have compiled and tested it in the Strategy Tester. Yes, it works, but does not display the Indicator "Visually" but the code does function, at least at first glance.

However, in my own EA's, I go about it in a different way, but cannot use it as an example as my own code is segregated into several libraries with other functionality.

The example is just indicative of what is asked for. Many EA's in the codebase usually have basic calculations (reductions of more complex indicators) within the EA which would be equivalent to the self-contained idea.

That code does not work as intended . . . IndicatorCounted() always returns -1 as a result the buffers are not written correctly . . . I suspect the buffer arrays would not be resized either.

SDC:
I agree it would slow things down, the more rules there are, the less particpants there will be, I would have said anything goes as long as it passes a basic test (ie does not crash mt4), just upload the ex4's and let the games begin :) If it was a serious competition with big prize money it might require more specific rules but for a friendly competition what is achieved by making it restrictive ?
Fairness. As I already said . . . fairness is paramount.

RaptorUK:
Fairness. As I already said . . . fairness is paramount.

I meant such things as rule 7: EA should be self-contained (meaning 1 file) No external custom indicators. All custom indicators should be coded/embedded in the same file as the EA.

Is there a valid reason for a rule such as that ?

RaptorUK:
That code does not work as intended . . . IndicatorCounted() always returns -1 as a result the buffers are not written correctly . . . I suspect the buffer arrays would not be resized either.

OK! Then I guess it is not a valid example!!!

I will just have to take one of my own and make it self-contained to serve as an example. I guess I will do the one using the End-Point Least Squares Moving Average, and have it entered into the completion, even though it is not very profitable.

However, on another note, I have just installed a MetaQuotes supplied MT4 and taken a look at several factors such as Price Quotes Provider, Initial Balance allowed, Leverage, Spreads etc. and this will only make the case for more rigorous rules much more important. Hopefully "ubzen" will see the wisdom in that and accept doing this with a little more structure and rules involved.

"Ubzen" is probably away as he has not being replying to posts, so I have just being answering in his absence as I can with regard to his intentions.

SDC:

I meant such things as rule 7: EA should be self-contained (meaning 1 file) No external custom indicators. All custom indicators should be coded/embedded in the same file as the EA.

Is there a valid reason for a rule such as that ?

Yes there is, and it was discussed between myself and "Ubzen" during the many posts that have been placed here on this thread, probably quite a few pages back.

Hello People

This sounds interesting

Please may I enter this EA on M5 using GBP/USD pair. The default settings are how I wish it to run.

Files:

NotUnctuous:

Hello People

This sounds interesting

Please may I enter this EA on M5 using GBP/USD pair. The default settings are how I wish it to run.

Hello "NotUnctouous".

"Ubzen" is away at the moment, and on his behalf, I welcome you to the competition.

We are still playing around with the rules and have not yet established all of them. However, a few of the conditions that have already been established, is that in order to make it fair, their will be a limit set on the Lot Size.

Since your EA is a Martingale type EA, it will most probably hit that Limit sooner or later. You might get lucky, since it only lasts a week, but you could hit that ceiling within the first few orders and that would disqualify the EA.

This first run, will be a test run, so I am willing to let it through, but you will not be able to run it on the next and real competition. So, I would encourage you change it or submit another EA for which such a Lot Size limit will not affect it.

So, just to make it clear, I will still need to discuss it with "Ubzen", but we will most probably be setting that as a Hard Rule, that no "Martingale" type EA's will be accepted.

Reason: