Am I on to something? (senior advice needed on my equity curve)

Hi,

Not bragging, not selling, I just want an experienced opinion in whether theese results could be something or if it's nothing because of the extended period of time.

Initial balance: 10000, Flat 0.1 lot, 650 trades, H1-based, testperiod 4,5 years, drawdown 11%, end balance 18500$.

52,72 Winners, 47.28% Loosers.

Have I found an edge? Could it be good enough to up risk a little and put it on live account?

Or maybe it´s nothing special?

It is of course optimized, but the optimization only gave an additional 30-40% gain compared to first run after creation. (It is pretty simple but the idea just hit me the other day after trying more than 1 year to develop a profitable ea).

Thanks in advance for any input!

/ McKeen

I messed up the pic, here it is:

Post the entire report with fixed 0.1 lots. I have my fair share of strategy tester and I don't mind giving my opinions :)

ubzen:
Post the entire report with fixed 0.1 lots. I have my fair share of strategy tester and I don't mind giving my opinions :)

Sure thing, here we go.. (I wanted to spare you all at first):

It's in html so it seems it can´t be pasted, not even with SRC-mode.

I hope a zip is ok ..

Thanks alot by the way!

Files:

By the way,

I am able to get similar curve on several other pairs with adjusted variables.

/ McKeen

Optimize it 3 years, and test it in the 1,5 years you didn't use to optimize.

It looks pretty good actually :)

Now try doing what Jasus5447 recommended and test it on the years you didn't optimize it for and see how it works. If it was optimized on all years then your next step would be running it on demo account .... then on to mini account if it does well.

McKeen:

Hi,

Not bragging, not selling, I just want an experienced opinion in whether theese results could be something or if it's nothing because of the extended period of time.

Initial balance: 10000, Flat 0.1 lot, 650 trades, H1-based, testperiod 4,5 years, drawdown 11%, end balance 18500$.

52,72 Winners, 47.28% Loosers.

Have I found an edge? Could it be good enough to up risk a little and put it on live account?

Or maybe it´s nothing special?

It is of course optimized, but the optimization only gave an additional 30-40% gain compared to first run after creation. (It is pretty simple but the idea just hit me the other day after trying more than 1 year to develop a profitable ea).

Thanks in advance for any input!

/ McKeen

This looks great actually, beats my best system which has roughly same profit but with 17% drawdown on 0.1 fixed lots 10k account. Good work! Now give it to us :p

LBranjord:

This looks great actually, beats my best system which has roughly same profit but with 17% drawdown on 0.1 fixed lots 10k account. Good work! Now give it to us :p

Well, why not ;), it is pretty useless anyways considering the long time required for demo-trading / forward testing. I am sure markets will change long before it could be usable in practice.

To any newbies, DONT just copy the below and put on live account, you will quickly go broke.

Here you go:

GBPUSD H1:

If ADX step 6 breaks 43 then enter trade in direction of highest value DI+ or DI-.

Stoploss = 960 points

Only exit is 1060 point trailing Stop.

That´s it, very simple just like i said. Have fun!

Note: I followed Jasus advice above with mediocre results, I also tested other periods in similar manners and I was not pleased.

/ McKeen

McKeen: Note: I followed Jasus advice above with mediocre results, I also tested other periods in similar manners and I was not pleased.

This is the Traders Dilemma. If you look at the curve for the period starting between the (350 & 377) then moving forward to 510. That's about 150 trades and 1-year of trading results. If you're the type of person who gets discouraged after 2-weeks of bad forward testing results then this result is Not good enough for you Psychologically.

On the other-hand, if you had nerves of steel and blue-iced waters flowing through your veins, could you trade this system for a year, be at a loss and still keep feeding it? 

ubzen:

McKeen: Note: I followed Jasus advice above with mediocre results, I also tested other periods in similar manners and I was not pleased.

This is the Traders Dilemma. If you look at the curve for the period starting between the (350 & 377) then moving forward to 510. That's about 150 trades and 1-year of trading results. If you're the type of person who gets discouraged after 2-weeks of bad forward testing results then this result is Not good enough for you Psychologically.

On the other-hand, if you had nerves of steel and blue-iced waters flowing through your veins, could you trade this system for a year, be at a loss and still keep feeding it?

I appreciate your input ubzen, I have read a lot of your posts and I must say you are a clever guy with focus on the things that matter...

Flattering aside.. about those trades 350-510 I think it demonstrates very clearly the positive effects of utilizing static position sizing.

If one had used a more aggressive money management (increasing position size with increasing equity) this period of trades would have been the end for the account.

But in this case the otherwise pretty outstanding curve managed to easily get back on track once markets became more long-term trending again.

I doubt (but certainly hope) that I will ever manage to create a better curve than this in terms of low drawdown, % of winners despite good R:R etc, so I have definately learned something from this. (Of course I had read it before but it´s not the same thing).

Thanks all for your inputs

/ McKeen

Reason: