MT5 Strategy Optimization on ubuntu VPS

Hi.

I want to do optimization of many of my strategies of MT5. But For my Windows PC, it is taking a lot of time plus I must keep PC ON for 24*7 (+Electricity Cost). Instead of that I am planning to buy Ubuntu VPS and install MT5 in that and start optimization, So I don’t have to keep my pc ON all the time also Ubuntu servers are cheap with High RAM and Cores. Note I am not planning to do any automate trading, just optimization with different strategies and DATA.

So will this my plan of optimization on Ubuntu work? MT5 in Ubuntu not crashing or working slowly or getting hang? Has anyone tried before or currently doing that way? or should I buy Windows VPS which are costly compared to Ubuntu.

Thanks

Adil

Adil Sumra:

Hi.

I want to do optimization of many of my strategies of MT5. But For my Windows PC, it is taking a lot of time plus I must keep PC ON for 24*7 (+Electricity Cost). Instead of that I am planning to buy Ubuntu VPS and install MT5 in that and start optimization, So I don’t have to keep my pc ON all the time also Ubuntu servers are cheap with High RAM and Cores. Note I am not planning to do any automate trading, just optimization with different strategies and DATA.

So will this my plan of optimization on Ubuntu work? MT5 in Ubuntu not crashing or working slowly or getting hang? Has anyone tried before or currently doing that way? or should I buy Windows VPS which are costly compared to Ubuntu.

Thanks

Adil

Im running an mt5 on ubuntu , on an old pc , i havent tried running an optimization yet though .You also get an mq demo account upon installing .

I'll check the version (ubuntu) and try to run an opt and report back.

Lorentzos Roussos #:

Im running an mt5 on ubuntu , on an old pc , i havent tried running an optimization yet though .You also get an mq demo account upon installing .

I'll check the version (ubuntu) and try to run an opt and report back.

Hi,

Thank you for response.

Yes It will be great if you can try opt and let me know.. Also can you tell me if we can install more than one MT5 in Ubuntu if so How! 

Thank you for assistance, I am new to Ubuntu.

Adil

Adil Sumra #:

Hi,

Thank you for response.

Yes It will be great if you can try opt and let me know.. Also can you tell me if we can install more than one MT5 in Ubuntu if so How! 

Thank you for assistance, I am new to Ubuntu.

Adil

Okay it downloaded an update twice , first to version 4040 then to 4055 , i dont know if 4055 is the beta . 

If you install a different MT5 (from a broker with an account) i assume you can have multiple ones .

Opt works however very slow due to my pc (Dell Optiplex 760 Dual Core , 6GB)

Version is 22.04 (Ubuntu)

here is an installation guide

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625

If 4055 is the beta , you should hold off from purchasing the vps yet. (unless someone has a stable 4055)

What are the vps hardware specs btw compared to the windows vps

MetaTrader 5 on Linux
MetaTrader 5 on Linux
  • www.mql5.com
In this article, we demonstrate an easy way to install MetaTrader 5 on popular Linux versions — Ubuntu and Debian. These systems are widely used on server hardware as well as on traders’ personal computers.

Lorentzos Roussos #:

Okay it downloaded an update twice , first to version 5040 then to 5055 , i dont know if 5055 is the beta . 

If you install a different MT5 (from a broker with an account) i assume you can have multiple ones .

Opt works however very slow due to my pc (Dell Optiplex 760 Dual Core , 6GB)

Version is 22.04 (Ubuntu)

here is an installation guide

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625

If 5055 is the beta , you should hold off from purchasing the vps yet. (unless someone has a stable 5055)

Thank you. VPS will have 32GB RAM and 8 Cores so opt might be fast on that..

But Can you please expain what you mean by versions of 5040 and 5055.. are they ubuntu versions or MT5?

Adil Sumra #:

Thank you. VPS will have 32GB RAM and 8 Cores so opt might be fast on that..

But Can you please expain what you mean by versions of 5040 and 5055.. are they ubuntu versions or MT5?

sorry 4040 and 4055 

They are mt5 versions . 

It'd be best not to be running the beta , and if i recall the metaquotes demo accounts were on it .

But any mt5 with a broker (downloaded from there) and logged in will be a normal version . 

So you are good .

What are the windows vps specs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYPzYBe_kk

MQL5 TUTORIAL - HOW TO INSTALL METATRADER ON A LINUX PC
MQL5 TUTORIAL - HOW TO INSTALL METATRADER ON A LINUX PC
  • www.youtube.com
https://mql5tutorial.comWith MX Linux we use Wine and Playonlinux to installl Metatrader on a linux computer.

Lorentzos Roussos #:

sorry 4040 and 4055 

They are mt5 versions . 

It'd be best not to be running the beta , and if i recall the metaquotes demo accounts were on it .

But any mt5 with a broker (downloaded from there) and logged in will be a normal version . 

So you are good .

What are the windows vps specs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYPzYBe_

Okay Understood. So if I download MT5 with use of this article https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625 then I need to make sure MT5 version is not 4055 beta. Cause as per article its downloading automatic after entering single command. If its beta probably I can use video link guide to install MT5 with use of .exe file downloaded from broker site. I hope i understand your point.

For VPS if I go for Ubuntu (32GB RAM, 8 Cores, 400GB NVMe Disk Space), which will cost around 225$/year. And If i look for around same cost windows VPS, it is Windows (8GB RAM, 3 Cores, 80GB SSD) which will cost around 170$/year. That is why I was planning to get Ubuntu VPS. Let me know your views.

Thanks

MetaTrader 5 on Linux
MetaTrader 5 on Linux
  • www.mql5.com
In this article, we demonstrate an easy way to install MetaTrader 5 on popular Linux versions — Ubuntu and Debian. These systems are widely used on server hardware as well as on traders’ personal computers.

Adil Sumra #:

Okay Understood. So if I download MT5 with use of this article https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/625 then I need to make sure MT5 version is not 4055 beta. Cause as per article its downloading automatic after entering single command. If its beta probably I can use video link guide to install MT5 with use of .exe file downloaded from broker site. I hope i understand your point.

For VPS if I go for Ubuntu (32GB RAM, 8 Cores, 400GB NVMe Disk Space), which will cost around 225$/year. And If i look for around same cost windows VPS, it is Windows (8GB RAM, 3 Cores, 80GB SSD) which will cost around 170$/year. That is why I was planning to get Ubuntu VPS. Let me know your views.

Thanks

yes more or less.

And how many W is your power supply on the PC ? and what is the kW/h cost ? (if you don't mind)

If you assume your pc uses all the power do ((watts / 1000)*(kw/h cost))*24*365 and that would be the cost of running it 24/7 , more or less for a year

Lorentzos Roussos #:

yes more or less.

And how many W is your power supply on the PC ? and what is the kW/h cost ? (if you don't mind)

If you assume your pc uses all the power do ((watts / 1000)*(kw/h cost))*24*365 and that would be the cost of running it 24/7 , more or less for a year

If I calulate that Its coming around 25$/year not sure if My calculations were correct(120 watts for PC,kw/h is 0.02$).

But Windows PC I have is very old with (4GB RAM, dual Core). Tried Opt there its very very slow.

So I have 3 options

i) Get Ubantu VPS with 225$/year

ii) Get Windows VPS with 170$/year (specs are alomst 3rd size what ubantu vps will have)

iii) Get new PC with cost of 1200 - 1300$ and keep ON everyday +25$ cost

That is why i was thinking Ubantu. But wanted to make sure MT5 working fine on that. Let me know your choice..

Adil Sumra #:

If I calulate that Its coming around 25$/year not sure if My calculations were correct(120 watts for PC,kw/h is 0.02$).

But Windows PC I have is very old with (4GB RAM, dual Core). Tried Opt there its very very slow.

So I have 3 options

i) Get Ubantu VPS with 225$/year

ii) Get Windows VPS with 170$/year (specs are alomst 3rd size what ubantu vps will have)

iii) Get new PC with cost of 1200 - 1300$ and keep ON everyday +25$ cost

That is why i was thinking Ubantu. But wanted to make sure MT5 working fine on that. Let me know your choice..

Hmm , what is the goal ? to run tester agents and sell resources to the cloud tester or test your own strategies ? 

Also for choice 3 , watts will go to 500+

Lorentzos Roussos #:

Hmm , what is the goal ? to run tester agents and sell resources to the cloud tester or test your own strategies ? 

Testing and optimization of my own strategies..

Reason: