Points VS Pips - page 17

Nikolay Ivanov:

The funny thing is, there's a server... there's a stop loss parameter in the settings = 1.

1 - is it 1 point or 1 pip? Some smart guys will ask, "How many decimal places does eurodollar have? Without an answer to this question, they get deflated and do not know what 1 is... All right, let's say 5 decimal places...

The smart guys split in two, some say 1 is a pip and others say 1 is a pip... And so it turns out that for those who believe that 1 - is a point in 5 characters, but there are also pips, the programmer has to send the number 10 to the server, that is, for some reason multiply the unit by 10 ... eh, apparently the server is stupid, not read sites ...

a bit wrong:

There are English-speaking book-financial traders (I'd say most of them) and they understand pips as a percentage point, no other points exist for them (at all).
And there is a programmer who uses MT4/5, which does not have pips, but has a point - which is also similar to a pip)

So, the smart programmer thinks that if he sees a point, it means that everyone sees it and understands it as he does ...
And then it begins...

Taras Slobodyanik:

not so much:

There are English-speaking traders (I'd say most of them), and they understand pips as a percentage point, there are no other points for them.
And there is the programmer who uses MT4/5, which does not have this pips, but has a point - which also looks like a point).

and so the clever programmer thinks that because he can see the point, everyone can see and understand it... and then it starts

I have to constantly multiply their parameters by 10 myself, i.e. to bring them to the right format. And it would be better if nothing has to be adjusted, as entered and sent to work. That is to work with the real nature of things, not to fit the desirable to reality. For any reduction has a limit of applicability. For example, I'm writing, if the number of decimal places = 5 or 3 or 1, then it's nonsense... what if it's 6... or other variants... You can not know everything beforehand.

So that there is no confusion, and do not multiply in the code unnecessarily by 10 and there is a unit point.
Point or point or unit.
English-speaking users sometimes write pips referring to a point.
So, to avoid confusion, let's call a point a unit.
How much stoploss do you need? You have 5 signs and you need 300? Put it at 300.
Are you at 4 and you need 35? Put it at 35.
The user chooses how many points to set in the stop-loss.

They do not need all this boasting that there are programmers and traders, and everyone understands things differently.
I don't understand why they have to resort to personalities.

I don't like experts who have multiplication by 10 in their code. And if a person needs 12 pips? Pips? Pips?
What if he's from America and he writes pips? Does he mean pips?
Bullshit!
We are talking about Expert Advisors that trade that have Point. Do you trade personally? You may trade, but you are not asked any questions.
We are on that forum.

Taras Slobodyanik:

why do they call it a pips?
pips is a tenth of a pip and that's it, or 1/32

In MT4/MT5 it is called a pip (not a percentage), but as a minimum possible change.

a pip is a pip - in western markets)

i.e. dividing a pip means dividing a pip because their name is pips

Why? Because there should be a difference in the name of the item, from the tenth item )) so that people understand each other.
Well it's the retailer who calls it a clause because they don't know what a basic clause is ))
Because the retailer has been so brainwashed that they already say white for black. The goal set has been achieved.
Then please tell me what in slang is a "figure" and in what signs does it count ?

I do not know who or where it's written there, they write it on fences too ... ))
But I talk to my American English speaking broker, heuses point and pips and sometimes tick instead of pips and we understand each other perfectly.
Once again, you may measure a boa constrictor in parrots, as long as everybody understands what it is measured in.
The fifth digit was not made for nothing, just think at your leisure, why )).

Roman:

Why? After all, there should be a difference in the name of the point, from the tenth point )) so that people understand each other.
Well it's the retailer who calls it a point because they don't know what a basis point is ))
Because the retailer has been so brainwashed that they already say white for black. The goal set has been achieved.
Then please tell me what in slang is a "figure" and in what signs does it count ?

I do not know who or where it's written there, they write it on fences too ... ))
But I talk to my American English speaking broker, heuses point and pips and sometimes tick instead of pips and we understand each other perfectly.
Once again, you may measure a boa constrictor in parrots, as long as everybody understands what it is measured in.
The fifth digit was not made for nothing, just think at your leisure, why )).

Recently I have sold 0.99099 on the frank. I closed at 0.99097. I earned $ 0.02.
Now what am I supposed to say, that I earned 2 pips?;) nonsense. 2 pips and all is clear.

Vladimir Baskakov:
Recently I sold 0.99099 on the franc. I closed at 0.99097. I earned $0.02.
Now what am I supposed to say, that I earned 2 pips? ;) nonsense. 2 pips and all is clear.

Well, I also count a five-digit in pips, a four-digit in pips, everything is very clear without any confusion ))

Vladimir Baskakov:
I recently sold 0.99099 on the franc. I closed at 0.99097. I made $0.02.
Now what am I supposed to say, that I earned 2 pips?;) nonsense. 2 pips and all is clear.
2 pips, 0.2 pips.

Сергей Таболин:

All my understanding of basic concepts is ruined...

Stupidly, I thought that a tick is just a price change (exaggerated), and it may occur in 5ms or 5s and has no direct relation to the points, because this very tick may contain one or ten points... And that's how it turns out... A tick may contain 1/32 of an indivisible minimum value...

I'm going to a nunnery. A convent, of course... Goodbye, everyone.

Sergei, it's not foolishness, it's just ignorance. We all learn something for the first time at some point.
With the markets, I started my first acquaintance with the American futures exchanges, and they have their own exchange jargon.
And there is not only a minimum change of 1/32, depending on the market there is also 1/64, etc.
That is, one point is 32 or 64 ticks, or pips, for crying out loud ))
In the OTC market one point is considered a four-digit, because all the banking organizations calculate their grandmothers in basis points or in percents.
Because the change ininterest rates at which banks lend is calculated in basis points.
So for interbank forex the four digits is 1.0001, which is one pip.
And they have introduced a five-digit for retail, let them suffer )) but what should they call the fifth digit? So they put a pips on it to distinguish it somehow.
Although pips is a different term.
As for the tick, yes it is the minimal change of price, in all markets, whether it is a four or five digits, the minimal change is a tick.
But you are confusing again, it's not a tick that divides you, it's a point that divides you into ticks or pips. Ticks and pips are the same thing, it's just the slang for pips that's being used from another term.
A tick is just a minimal step of the price, but it has points, so to pass one point, the price should make N number of ticks.
The forex four-digit tick has no pips, everything is counted in pips.

how messed up is that...

off-topic but a question, what is healthier (safer) to drink at a time (with the equivalent of 500g of alcohol content), vodka, wine, rum, whisky, tequila, beer? (Do not suggest hitting your liver with a bat as an alternative)

Andrey Dik:

how messed up is that...

off-topic but a question, what is healthier (safer) to drink at a time (with the equivalent of 500g of alcohol content), vodka, wine, rum, whisky, tequila, beer? (Do not suggest hitting your liver with a bat as an alternative)

Google what the standard alcohol unit is, there are formulas too ))
Even alcohol is tied to a unit! )))
As a joke, one bottle counts as 1 point - three for 0.33 pips )))

Reason: