Stops are the way to go. - page 5

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

So that's why I'm saying that I think you should use different stop points for each situation - you have to rank the situations.

This is true. Even a third bar can't be a quality reference point, but it can be applied in individual cases.

Uladzimir Izerski:

I have an idea.

To set stops in relation to profit or loss to funds or balance sheet.

What can anyone advise in this direction?

Try it in the tester, on demo, on real...

STARIJ:
Try to check it in tester, on demo, in real time...

This method is better suited to a constant lot.

I have ATS working with counter orders (not lots in the usual sense) and different lot sizes. I need to apply a complicated formula here. I have no idea how to model it yet.

Uladzimir Izerski:

Stops are the way to success.

Without protective stops, trading is doomed to failure. Most players in the financial markets know this.

Optimizing stop orders has been my concern for many years. I think I am not the only one.

I want to hear the opinion of experienced traders and programmers in this field, for you understand what).

As with any commonly available trading paradigm, stops are a path to failure. It is a tool that must be used wisely. If there is an algorithm that needs stops, you should use them. If not, you should not use them. Stops are market orders. Sometimes it's better to implement them in the algorithm. Ideally, you should close and open with limits, but someone should create liquidity).

I agree, stop is the way to fail, there are many other options

One example, opening a hedge order and shifting the TP in stages.

This will in any case give an opportunity to reduce the loss or even make a profit.

In medium and long term trading it is not necessary to place stop orders, because they can be controlled by looking at the chart once a day.

In short-term trading, however, it is a must.

Thank you all for your helpful tips. Of course, there will never be one right decision, but experience is becoming more and more granular.

Uladzimir Izerski:

In medium and long term trading it is not necessary to place stop orders, because they can be controlled by looking at the chart once a day.

In short-term trading, however, it is a must.

Thank you all for your helpful tips. Of course, there will never be a single right answer, but grain by grain.

Listen to everyone and do your own thing.

Stops, the path to losing a deposit

for every stop, there is a stopper

Uladzimir Izerski:

Stops are the way to success.

Without protective stops, trading is doomed to failure. Most players in the financial markets know this.

Optimizing stop orders has been on my mind for many years. I think I am not the only one.

I want to hear the opinion of experienced traders and programmers in this field, for sure).

Stops are part of the strategy, so they should be linked to entry points.

Analyse market behaviour after entry points, and use the results in trailing(dynamic stop).

You could, for example, save the necessary sections of price behaviour and analyse them in a third-party program....

With stops there can be a systematic drain over a period of up to several months. Therefore this is a double-edged sword, for example, my free signal on simple averaging has been alive for half a year with a 15% drawdown. Might as well be a strategy with stops that could have lost money on this section while the averaging was pulling all trades to the plus.

You still need to look for entries with an advantage, which I believe 95% of traders don't know how to do.

Reason: