MT5 is for programmers, not traders - page 21

Mihail Matkovskij:

2. Advice about C++ is not just on point. Because you cannot become a programmer without learning at least one language! And it doesn't matter what language it is, be it Python, Java or Delphi. It is important to learn to be fluent in at least one language, to create complex algorithms and to know the concept of programming! And then to learn C like MQL will be just a matter of technique. Those who are not interested in programming as a science, can apply for help to programmers, or use the Expert Advisor constructor in MT5.

Kernighan, Ritchie wrote in their famous book: "The only way to learn a new programming language is to write programs in it".

Learning a programming language for the sake of a programming language makes no sense at all.

The practice, when the beginners and those, who want to master MQL, are suddenly being told that they must start from C++ or something like that, is sheer and complete nonsense and only an absolute ignoramus can generate such rubbish.

The MT terminal user should learn MQL -- not even learn MQL -- but start writing the programs he needs in MQL.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

Kernighan, Ritchie wrote in their famous book, "The only way to learn a new programming language is to write programs in it.

Learning a programming language for the sake of a programming language makes no sense at all.

The practice, when the beginners and those, who want to master MQL, are suddenly being told that they must start from C++ or something like that, is sheer and complete nonsense and only an absolute ignoramus can generate such rubbish.

The MT terminal user must learn MQL -- not even learn MQL -- but start to write the programs he needs in MQL.

I repeat. It makes sense to seriously study programming only if you are a programmer! Therefore, you can not become a programmer without learning at least one programming language! And the fact that to study programming as a science and take it seriously is advised by professionals, frankly speaking, ridiculous :)

Those who are originally interested in programming already know at least one language! So, for them to learn MQL (I repeat) is a matter of technology. And those who are interested in trading, but don't need to study programming as such, may start with MQL4. But it does not reveal the concept of programming (I repeat it again). If you go to MQL5, it reveals more, but not everything. It is a very skillful tool that is optimized by speed for writing Expert Advisors. But still, the trader still needs the help of programmers because it is unlikely that he or she can learn to master the code perfectly and understand the concept of programming.

fxsaber:

What pushes the beginner to MQL is the realisation that he can automate some Terminal things.

The first thing that comes to most beginners in the terminal is the automation of opening a position. They do not want to send something to the Terminal's log and that is why the newbies took up MQL.

A script for opening a position in MQL4 takes up several times less space than in MQL5 (even with SB). Moreover, in MQL5 the complexity can be beyond the reach of a beginner. The real example is above.

In what MQL will a beginner choose, if he/she is not a masochist? I will draw your attention to the highlighted

A newbie in ordinary programming may come to the realization that he can write a game no worse than Doom or WorldOfTanks. But that's no reason for a beginner to give up "Hello Word 1" in favor of learning DirectX.

You can ask your wife (or child), she certainly won't lie.

I have a colleague - a very smart "manual" trader, who has been trading with varying success for 10 years. For him I wrote my first MQL-products.

So, he wanted to study programming at least up to the level of "write an ATR indicator". He has looked through the courses, looked at the code, even tried to write something, and gave up after a week. He said, "Not for me, write everything yourself, I will tell you what exactly it is".

Well, for him it is the same whether it is MT4 or MT5. One or the other is a piece of paper.

My wife, I'm sure, will say the same thing.

Can Salvador Dali's precepts be applied to programming?

I will try to add the word"programmer".

Salvador Dali: Ten Commandments to be followed by someone who is going to become an artist(programmer)

1. an artist(programmer) prefers poverty to wealth, so teach your brush to give birth to gold and precious stones.
2. Don't be afraid of perfection - you will never achieve it!
3. First, learn to draw and paint like the old masters(programmers) , and then you can do whatever you want and everyone will respect you.
4. Do not give up your own vision, your manner and your ideas: they will be useful for you if you become an artist(programmer) .
5 If you are among those who believe that modern art(programming) has surpassed Vermeer (...insert it yourself) and Raphael (...insert it yourself), put this book(documentation) aside and continue to abide in blissful idiocy.
6. Don't spit on your own painting(program) because it can spit on you when you die.
7. Masterpiece and idleness are not compatible!
8. Painter(programmer), write.
9. Painter( programmer) , do not take in your mouth alcohol and do not smoke hashish more than five times in your life.
10. If painting(programming) does not love you, all your love for it will do nothing.

Mihail Matkovskij:

I repeat. It only makes sense to seriously study programming if you are a programmer! Therefore, you cannot become a programmer without learning at least one programming language! And the fact that to study programming as a science and take it seriously is advised by professionals, frankly speaking, ridiculous :)

What science. What kind of nonsense are you talking about. People are here to trade. Where else, except for trading, will you apply the "science" of writing trading functions and robots, except for trading. You'll be writing android apps on µl.

"It only makes sense to study programming seriously if you'rea programmer!"

That is, if I'm not a programmer, it makes no sense to study mcl. Or it makes sense to study mcl NOT seriously.

Having said one nonsense, you try to smooth out the aftertaste by freezing another nonsense, thereby only making it worse.

ILNUR777:
What kind of science is that? What kind of nonsense are you talking about? People are here to trade. Where else but in trading will you apply the "science" of writing trading functions and robots, except in trading. You'll be writing android apps on mcl.

"It makes sense to study programming seriously only if you area programmer!"

So, if I'm not a programmer, there's no point in studying mcl. Or it makes sense to study mcl in a non-serious way.

Well, I've written everything clearly, in black and white. And you "look for a black cat in a dark room, where there is no such thing" :) If you want to start learning programming in MQL, go ahead. But if you need to solve more complicated problems, than a simple order opening, you will surely need help of programmers!

For Android: A non-programmer will never understand how it is interesting to write a program for Android or Windows that can do whatever the programmer wants. Yes, you can talk about it as much as you like, but it's not for those who think learning programming is nonsense! :)

There's another thread on the forum with "whining" about "why is it so...". That says it's getting harder, not that it's not going at all.
There are many such echoes around the forum. It takes a talent to stubbornly ignore them.

Mihail Matkovskij:

Well, I thought I made it clear, in black and white. And you "look for a black cat in a dark room, where there is no black cat" :) If you want to start learning programming in MQL, go ahead. But if you need to solve more complicated tasks than a simple order opening, you will need help of programmers, by all means!

For Android: A non-programmer will never understand how interesting it is to write a program for the same Android or Windows, which itself performs any actions laid down by the programmer. Yes, you can talk about it as much as you like, but it's not for those who think learning programming is nonsense! :)

android developer?

Mickey Moose:

an android developer?

I am currently developing EAs and indicators. I used to write Windows programs and work with 3D graphics.

Mihail Matkovskij:

Well, I thought I made it clear, in black and white. And you "look for a black cat in a dark room, where there is no black cat" :) If you want to start learning programming in MQL, go ahead. But if you need to solve more complicated tasks, than to open orders, you will need help of programmers anyway!

Regarding Android: A non-programmer will never understand how it is interesting to write a program for the same Android or Windows, which executes by itself whatever the programmer wants to do. Yes, you can talk about it as much as you like, but it's not for those who think learning programming is nonsense! :)

I don't think it's nonsense to study programming. Don't attribute your fantasies to me.
The question here is not about learning programming or not. The question is how to ease this way. And is it reasonable for a beginner
to study in depth a wide area, which he needs for narrow tasks, not promising profit. Other languages are not studied for a hobby either.
Reason: