I really want to learn MQL5 Where do I start ? - page 4

Vladimir Karputov:

If you want to learn MQL5 and you are advised to "learn C", send such advisors as far away as possible.

The best way is to set a task (like "I want to output the price of this or that symbol"), then MetaEditor and documentation. When you do not succeed, ask for help on the forum. And so step by step.

Yes, I agree. If you walk, you walk the distance.

But I would not reject the suggestion to "learn C". In my opinion, it is also quite acceptable... Another thing is that learning C++, as well as learning MQL, is done in the way you've described. You set a problem and try to solve it by studying documentation and asking for advice in the forum...

Georgiy Merts:

Yes, I agree. The road is travelled by the walker.

But, I wouldn't deny the suggestion to "learn C" so much. In my opinion, it's also quite acceptable... Another thing is that learning C++, as well as learning MQL, is done in the way you've described. You set a problem and try to solve it by studying documentation and asking for advice in the forum...

If you have a problem for C, it should be at least somewhat similar to that for mql5.

So, I suggested a worthless task, so I solved it and what? How does it provide understanding of how to open a position or a pending order? Perhaps, knowledge of OOP without knowledge of mql5 functions can be of some help? Doesn't it seem to you that you have to master mql5 first, and only then try to understand what this OOP is and all the advantages associated with it?

The real story is from a couple of days ago.

At the weekend, a customer needed to solve an Excel spreadsheet problem with a sample. VBA, understandably, does not know and as a programmer on a "like everyone else" level.

There is a problem to solve. He took some VBA lessons from the Internet and applied them to his problem.

In the end he solved the task with a slanted code, but it was solved in 1-2 days and he was satisfied "like an elephant".

It is important to note two key points here:

1) He didn't turn to documentation, but to tutorials - because documentation is "go where I don't know where" for a newbie - and the advice "start with the documentation" is inadequate.

2) he went to VBA, not Basics, C, C++ or anywhere else -- if he asked on some forum "where to start" and was told "start with C" -- that advice would look inadequate and the advisor would look "peek-a-boo".

Bottom line:

-- there is an MQL textbook -- it's Kovalev's https://book.mql4.com/ru

That's where you should start. Even if it is in MQL4, it means to start with MQL4. There may be some disadvantages in it.

But it is more than sufficient for understanding "what is what". At least it will allow us to understand the documentation. The understanding of documentation + Articles, will allow the user to go to MQL5 right after the "basics of MQL".

Учебник по MQL4
Учебник по MQL4
  • book.mql4.com
В настоящее время персональный компьютер стал незаменимым помощником в жизни каждого человека. Благодаря развитию Интернета и увеличению мощности современных компьютеров открылись новые возможности во многих областях деятельности. Ещё десять лет назад торговля на финансовых рынках была доступна только банкам и узкому кругу специалистов. Сегодня...

Georgiy Merts:

Um... Can I make a point of it?

What's there to reveal? C and C++ is focused on computer (hardware) programming, while mql is focused on writing user programs (used by humans). One can write in mql very well, even not having an idea what bytes and bits are and not worrying about many other things at all (and not having any idea about them).

Alexey Viktorov:

Suggest a problem for C that could be at least somehow similar to a problem for mql5.

So, you set a worthless task, solve it, so what? How does it give you understanding how to open a position or a pending order? Perhaps, knowledge of OOP without knowledge of mql5 functions can be of some help? Doesn't it seem to you that you have to master mql5 first, and only then try to understand what this OOP is and all the advantages associated with it?

What do you mean by "understanding"? Yes, it will. You have to fill the structure in a certain way and call a certain function.

That is, you need to understand what a structure is, what it consists of, you need to understand what a function is, how to call it.

And to use the classes of the Standard Library, one should become familiar, at least in a first approximation, with the concept of "class".

All this can be done both in C++ and MQL.

Personally, I don't see much difference - all my libraries are written in such a way that they can be used in C++ with minimal reworking.

Georgiy Merts:

What do you mean, "how will it make you understand"? Yes, it will. That you have to fill the structure in a certain way, and call a certain function.

That is, you need to understand what a structure is, what it consists of, you need to understand what a function is and how to call it.

And to use the classes of the Standard Library, one should get acquainted, at least in a first approximation, with the concept of "class".

All this can be done both in C++ and MQL.

Personally, I don't see much difference - all my libraries are written in such a way, that they can be used in C++ with minimal reworking.

My first "work" in C++ programming was at my laboratory work at the institute.

Assignment: Calculate cube root using iteration formula (formula given) with accuracy x.xxxx

How can such a task help in mastering mql5? Well, if I did it in Wasik or C of any modification, or any other fancy language up to assembly language, so what? How does it get you closer to understanding mql5? The answer is NO ONE...

Why would you learn OOP if you haven't yet figured out what a variable is, scope and what a predefined variable is. The question was originally asked to START learning, not to upgrade your skills.

Alexey Viktorov:

... The question originally asked is to START learning ...

the question originally asked is NOT to start learning, but to start solving the problem.

there is no point in learning a language for the sake of learning a language -- just as there is no point in learning C++ to learn how to write MQL problems.

it's not the programming language that is studied -- it's the problem that is solved -- the language is ALWAYS secondary here.

and the language is learned only to the extent and in the completeness needed to solve the problem.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

the question initially is NOT to start learning, but to start solving the problem.

There is no point in learning a language for the sake of learning a language -- just as there is no point in "kooky" advice to learn C++ in order to learn to write MQL problems.

it's not the programming language that is studied -- it's the problem that is solved -- the language is ALWAYS secondary here.

and the language is studied only to the extent and in the completeness needed to solve the problem.

Andrei, look at the name of the subject

I really want to learn the MQL5 language Where do I start?

Alexey Viktorov:

Andrei, look up the title of the topic

start talking about "old language" -- well, the documentation is not suitable for newbies -- 99% of newbies can't move with the documentation -- there is only Kovalev's textbook, good/bad, old/new, but there is only it.

Reason: