Has anyone created a successful automated trading system? What is your advice? - page 13

Valeriy Yastremskiy:

I am still hampered by the complexity of the proximity of the concepts to the stock market environment. You have to simplify to work out the logic. And this is exactly 4ka. I.e. the task of determining the states of a series, beginnings, ends of stable states should not take into account the times varying spread, the tricks of the broker, these are eternal and complex tasks of mathematics and other disciplines. The exchange environment gets in the way.

Well... I don't know... What's in the way ? My code is portable, and there is no environment, I only have my interfaces, which are absolutely the same in MT4 as in MT5.

Besides, compatibility library has been written for a long time - no hindrances either...

Georgiy Merts:

Well... I don't know... What's in the way there ? I have portable code with no environment, I only have my interfaces, which are exactly the same in MT4 as in MT5.

Also, the compatibility library has long been written - no hindrance either...

Your logic is simple, mine is apparently more complex. Errors are hard to find in 4ka as it is. And with third party binaries, it's an even harder task.

You plan one thing, you write what you write, it doesn't work the way you plan ... In general, I'm more comfortable in a simpler language))) If you need anything from 5, of course, I'll take it and use it.

JesonMile:
"automated trading" means different things to different people, here I mean a system that detects good trading situations and then places an order and closes later after some conditions are met.

It seems to be possible to create a profitable system, but so far I haven't had much luck. some big advantages I see in an automated system is that it can trade 24/7 and does not cause any emotion. ideally I would like to scalp on small timeframes (h1 or less), but h4 or d1 is probably easier, right?

what indicators have you had success with? are you using fixed sl and tp or more complicated closing conditions? did you write it completely yourself or use templates such as mt5 advisors? do you think many different indicators with certain weights are better than one or two or is it too complicated?

what kind of returns are you seeing and how consistent is your system?

can a breakout bot at market opening be successful?

I personally do not believe in bots (robots, expert advisors) for me it is better to trade manually.

Valeriy Yastremskiy:

You have simple logics, I have apparently more complex ones. Errors are hard enough to find in 4. And with third-party binaries, it's an even harder task.

You plan one thing, write what you write, it doesn't work the way you plan... In general, I'm more comfortable in a simpler language))) If you need something from 5, of course, I'll take it and use it.

Well... I don't know, what's "more simple" about the language, if one and the same code is compiled on MT4 and MT5 without any changes. And MT5 strategy tester is much better than the old one...

But, if it's better than MT4, then use it...

Georgiy Merts:

Well... I don't know what the "simpler" language is, if the same code compiles on both MT4 and MT5 without any changes. And MT5 strategy tester is much better than the old one...

But, if it's better than MT4, then use it...

Not better, and not worse. The other one, for other tasks. ))) I use both)

Valeriy Yastremskiy:

Not better, and not worse. The other, for other tasks. )))) I use both.)

The tester in MT5 is better and here's why:

1. you can test on real ticks, not on average spread. The Market was full of Expert Advisors, which draw beautiful pictures at the expense of 1 hour trading, when in reality the spreads are several times worse.
2. You can test multicurrency strategies.
3. The speed of optimization is higher by how many more cores and memory you have. You can also use cloud. But I don't know who uses it. It is much cheaper to rent a third-party UPU for 20-30 cores.

Dmitiry Ananiev:

A tester in MT5 is better and here's why:

1. you can test on real ticks and not on average spread. The Market was full of Expert Advisors, which draw beautiful pictures due to trade 1 hour nocturnal, when in reality spreads are several times worse.
2. You can test multicurrency strategies.
3. Optimization speed is higher by how many more cores and memory you have. You can also use cloud. But I don't know who uses it. Much cheaper to rent a third party VPN for 20-30 cores.

When I need real ticks and spread, multicurrency (the only thing I would like, but not critical), optimization, then I go to 5. I have other tasks for now. They are more mathematical and logical. A 4 is enough. With the numerical side-by-side with SB elements you can have fun forever)))) Everyone has their own way).

Valeriy Yastremskiy:

When I need real ticks and spreads, multicurrency (the only thing I would like, but not crucial), and optimisation, then I switch to 5. I have other tasks for now. They are more mathematical and logical. A 4 is enough. With the numerical side-by-side with SB elements you can have fun forever)))) Everyone has their own way).

If you don't need prices at all, there is a mathematical calculation mode.

I'll tell you a secret. In MQL5 you can program in procedural style. You do not need to use OOP. Moreover, MQL4 and MQL5 are very similar, except for trading operations. And there are few differences in the work with visual objects. In addition, the input of the ready-made indicators can be any array of data, not only prices. In MQL4 this cannot be done directly.

Dmitiry Ananiev:

If you don't need prices at all, there is a mathematical calculation mode.

Let me tell you a secret. In MQL5 you can program in procedural style. You do not need to use OOP. Moreover, MQL4 and MQL5 are very similar, except for trading operations. And there are few differences in the work with visual objects. In addition, the input of the ready-made indicators can be any types of arrays, not only prices. This cannot be done directly in MQL4.

I don't argue. If indeed 5 operators were not added to 4, that would make them very similar in their calculations capabilities, 4 would be much less convenient. I don't need to feed arrays yet and multiply them by each other without a loop). Also, the 5 makes a powerful machine with MO capabilities. I don't need that for simple tests with a price range. It's much easier for me to catch bugs in 4.

Valeriy Yastremskiy:

It's much easier for me to catch bugs in 4.

Can you give me an example?

I think it's just lazy to redo a dozen functions to adapt MT4 EAs to MT5.

In my opinion, any EA should have its own "internal" interface of all basic operations, which would not depend on implementation. Then "adapters" dependent on the environment are added to them. And then, should it suddenly become necessary to port the EA's code to a new environment, only a small number of these adapters shall be rewritten.

Say, I can easily port all my EAs (and there are over 700 of them) to, say, C++ or C# to be used in quite different EAs researching programs. All I need to do is to rewrite only these very adapters, which directly interact with trading environment.

I can't imagine the situation, when MT4 would be so handy for me, that I have to pull it with me... My "battle" Expert Advisors work on MT4 solely because the account is five years old, it was opened for MT4, and I care about history for popularity.

Reason: