Advise on MQL4 vs MQL5

Hi all

I've read the new here:
https://forum.mql4.com/59622

Question is:
Quit a while ago I started learning MQL4 to about an intermediate noob level.

Now that time as gone by I wondered should I continue to write code in MQL4 or just start learning over again and go right to MQL5

Are most forex trading brokers using MQL5 or MQL4

I'm not sure what direct I should go with learning MQL in the short term.
Will making EA's be similar in MQL5 ? or completely different ?

Anyhow any advise is welcome
Thanks

Agent86:
Hi all

I've read the new here:

Question is:

Now that time as gone by I wondered should I continue to write code in MQL4 or just start learning over again and go right to MQL5

There are many more MT4 Brokers than MT5.

Agent86:

Some things in mql5 are very, very different, for example Order handling . . . you cannot have multiple open Orders on the same symbol, they combine to make a single position. You can do multi-symbol testing in the Strategy Tester, but you cannot use your own data so testing with real tick data is not possible.

Some things are very similar, for example Object handling, File handling.

Indicators work a little differently . . .

You need to determine what you want from your coding, if you can do it in mql4 then do so . . . if there are things you want or need to do and they can't be done in mql4 ask and someone will probably know if it can be done in mql5 and advise you.

Great thanks,

One last thing.
If the forex brokers websites advertise MT4 does this mean I can't use MT5 with that broker ?
Thanks

Agent86:
Hi all

I've read the new here:

Question is:

I'm not sure what direct I should go with learning MQL in the short term.

Anyhow any advise is welcome
Thanks
There's no "short term". Imo... mql4 is simpler than mql5 and mql4 have a book while mql5 doesn't. If you find mql4 challenging then mql5 will be more challenging. Anyways, the languages are combining and what you'll use will depend on the complexity of the program you're developing.

Agent86:
Great thanks,

One last thing.
If the forex brokers websites advertise MT4 does this mean I can't use MT5 with that broker ?

They can offer MT4 and MT5, just MT4, or just MT5 . . . but if they don't specifically mention MT5 they probably don't support it, you can always ask them though.

Ok perfect.

That's exactly what I wanted to know

I'll resume with MT4 where I left off and write some code for now.

Stick with mql4 because mt4 is here to stay and is still most popular then if you wish you can also learn mql5.

MQL4 is the best because it has many brokers.

I think it really depends on what happens when the new MT4 (currently in beta) is released. I have seen the new mql4 documentation it is heavily biased towards mql5 methods and features with little to no support for the currrent C based mql4.

If it remains that way it would mean the only support for C based mql4 will be this forum and whatever old documentation is still available. I think I would recommend start learning the basics of mql5 because the new mql4 will be based on the same thing with legacy support for C based mql4 functions and over the long term it will be beneficial to know some mql5.

I have a little coding experience and MQL4 looks simpler to me.

The simpler to code, the easier to focus on trading strategies.

A professional programmer surely will think different,
but I really don't need OOP (object oriented programming) in a 1400 lines script.

The best language would be the easier to describe a trading strategy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language

But this is subjective, relative to your programming skills.
Experts love details to increase their control over the process.

I also think mql4 is much simpler to use, easier to learn and well suited to the task. I have not seen an explanation of why MQ felt it neccessary to implement an OOP language for this, but I think as that is the way things are going it would be beneficial to get up with it. I have only just begun to dabble with mql5 so I really could not comment on the benefits of using it because I have yet to learn what they are. Having said that the little I have learned already has served to increase my interest in it.

Reason: