From theory to practice - page 800

Aleksey Nikolayev:

This is incorrect. In fact, the modern name for a matstat is statistical decision theory. You are reducing the matstat to descriptive statistics.

The classic examples of decision making for the matstat are drug tolerance, radar target detection, etc.

Well, drug clearance is nothing at all. The drug has undergone clinical trials and is approved for use based on the results. The decision was originally on statistics, i.e. it is not an operational decision and therefore cannot be applied to commerce. Now about radio reconnaissance. The probability of an error detecting a target presence event is practically zero, isn't it?

Алексей Тарабанов:

Now, about radio reconnaissance. The probability of an error detecting a target presence event is practically zero, isn't it?

Not so.

There are probabilities of target acquisition, target miss and false alarm. And in the real world, they are far from zero.

Silence is a sign of agreement, hence: the use of statistics in radio reconnaissance is aimed exclusively at determining the validity of results, i.e. assessments of the truth of statements such as: "radar on azimuth 150", or "radar on range 70". Again there is no way to make an operational decision.

How to live?

Yuriy Asaulenko:

Not so.

There are probabilities of target acquisition, missed targets and false alarms. And in the real world, they are far from zero.

Yuriy Asaulenko:

No, they're not.

There are probabilities of target acquisition, missed targets and false alarms. And they are far from zero in the real world.

The probability of false alarm in RTR is zero. And the probabilities of capturing and missing the target have no effect on the decision - if the target is missed, then nothing needs to be done, and if it is captured, then the algorithm is already working.

Алексей Тарабанов:

The probability of false alarms in RTR is zero. And the probabilities of capturing and missing the target have no effect on the decision - if the target is missed, then nothing needs to be done, and if it is captured, then the algorithm is already working.

Actually, there is such a field - Statistical Radio Engineering. It is focused on signal extraction from interference using statistical methods. That is, decisions are made by hardware, statistical methods and real-time.

Yuriy Asaulenko:

Actually, there is a field called Statistical Radio Engineering. It focuses on signal extraction from interference using statistical methods. That is, decisions are made by hardware, statistical methods and real-time.

I don't doubt it. I think statistical electrical engineering, politics, sexology and diplomacy will soon emerge. All will be highlighted. Only where is the market here?

Алексей Тарабанов:

I don't doubt it. I think statistical electrical engineering, politics, sexology and diplomacy will soon emerge. All will be highlighted. Only where is the market here?

I mean decision making by statistical methods, the possibility of application of which for this purpose you persistently deny for a day).

And if it is possible, why is it not possible in the market?

Yuriy Asaulenko:

I mean making decisions using statistical methods, the possibility of which you have stubbornly denied for this purpose for days now).

And if it is possible, then why it is not possible in the market.

No, it is impossible anywhere, including Forex. Statistics are not applicable to decision-making at all.

Алексей Тарабанов:

No, it is not possible anywhere, including Forex. Statistics are not applicable for decision-making at all.

How so? It is suitable and successfully applied in radio engineering, but it is not applicable at all. Very interesting.

Yuriy Asaulenko:

I mean making decisions using statistical methods, the possibility of using which for this purpose you stubbornly deny for a day now).

And if it is possible, why is it not possible in the market?

Make a decision using the statistical method. One example.

Reason: