Wishes for MQL5 - page 125

I would really like to have some kind of signal on the main news with an asterisk * (for example a click sound, like in Rumus at forexclub), and to be able to switch it on and off as desired.

Don't kill the MQL4 community! Moving from MT4 to MT5 may not go as smoothly as moving to MT4 in its time.
Add to MT5 support for .ex4 files, even if they are not editable, or add a simple MQL4 > MQL5 converter for texts written according to all the rules.

No one has killed MQL4 - there is a huge database of information, articles and code examples. More than 300 brokers worldwide support this platform.

MQL5 is very different from MQL4 in terms of working with the market environment and has a completely different ideology of trading operations. That is, MQL4 code cannot be automatically converted and launched in MT5.

Just as we developed MQL4.community, we are creating MQL5.community with even greater functionality. MQL5 will evolve very quickly, as its features are much bigger than MQL4.

Check out the new site - it's constantly evolving, new services will be launched and tested soon.

ps: There are no easy ways to success. If you want to achieve something serious, there is only one direction with lots of hard ways. When we launched the MQL5 project we knew there was a hard way. But we will take this path to the end.

My thoughts are as follows.

MT5 requires rewriting code that works on MT4. Maybe this will not be an obstacle for most people, or maybe some of the traders will decide not to invest extra effort and resources in rewriting the code (for various good reasons). As a result, the switch to MT5 may not be as massive. Not knowing what is in the marketing model of Metakvotts I can still suppose that MT5 transition will require brokerage companies to buy a new version that will bring additional profit to Metakvotts which probably will be more than from MT4 sale and support (otherwise there is no reasonable commercial sense to stop developing MT4 line while keeping the existing code development).

On the other hand, brokerage companies are oriented indirectly to traders and it may happen that brokerage companies will not be especially interested in buying MT5, because this will not attract new clients and only attract those who work with MT4. As a result, the marketing campaign of mass transfer to MT5 might get stuck and there might be the need to keep MT4 line, at least keeping compatibility at code level. That is why considering the possibility of such developments, it would be reasonable to implement all the functions that are in MT4, but on MT5.

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, since OOP implies full compatibility with non-OP programming on MT4. Of course, such an approach would have been logical from the start and it does not in any way contradict Metakwots desire to promote "a totally differenttrading ideology", but in addition to the existing one, rather than fighting it with all its might. Therefore, before it is too late, it is advisable to consider such a development that it would be very difficult and costly to "force" the MT5.

MQL5 is not fully compatible with MQL4, even with the use of wrappers, as the ideology has changed dramatically. In MQL5 functions calls are made asynchronously, as opposed to MQL4, where the result of a called function is always expected to be returned. This allows MQL5 programmers to free their hands, although it requires a certain readjustment of thinking. Take OrderSend() function as an example:
Возвращаемое значение

If thebasic structure check (pointer check) is successful, true is returned - this does not indicate successful execution of the trade operation. To get a more detailed description of the result of the function execution, the fields of the result structure should be analyzed .

Note .

When placing a market order, you should keep in mind that successful completion of the OrderSend() method doesn't always mean successful execution of the trade operation. You should check theretcode value in the returned result structure that contains the return code of the trade server , as well as the value of thedeal or order fields depending on the type of operation.

Rosh >>:
Полной совместимости MQL5 с MQL4 даже с помощью функций-оберток добиться не получится, так как идеология сильно изменилась. В MQL5 вызовы функций производятся асинхронно, в отличие от MQL4, где всегда ожидается возврат результата из вызванной функции.

Dear Rosh, I don't know all nuances of MT5 implementation, but technically I don't see a big problem to implement emulation of synchronous function call and prohibit call of a new function without completing results of the previous one. By the way, multiple runs of one and the same function can lead to strange bugs and is not always an advantage, although skillful use of this allows you to economically solve many problems. I've faced this problem a little bit because I've been programming hardver tests on SystemVerilog and there everything is built on synchronous and asynchronous things plus built-in OOP approach with support of previous C-like standard. So all the problems were successfully solved there and hopefully the level of Metakvot programmers is not lower.

Although I can assume that the problem here is not in the technical side of things, but in the commercial and as soon as such strategic decision will be made by Metakvot management, the technical implementation will not be an insurmountable problem. I hope that Metakvot management, taking such a difficult decision to abandon MT4 support, has taken into account all possible scenarios, although personally I find the commercial benefit of following this direction very problematic and non-optimal.

Asynchronous processing of trade orders is essential. There are strategies that require exactly this kind of processing. On MT4 this is emulated by running multiple terminals on the same account.

getch >>:
Асинхронная обработка торговых приказов - необходимая вещь. Есть стратегии, которые требуют именно такой обработки. На MT4 это эмулируется запуском нескольких терминалов на одном и том же счету.

Well, what prevents this from being implemented within MT4? Although the question was about something else, support for MQL4 code in MT5.

Andrei01 >>:Надеюсь, что руководство Метаквотов, принимая такое тяжелое решение отказаться от поддержки МТ4 учло все возможные варианты событий, хотя лично мне коммерческая выгода следования данному направлению выглядит очень проблематичной и неоптимальной.

This is a misleading statement, it has been repeatedly stated that MetaTrader 4 will not be discontinued with the release of MetaTrader 5. In fact, these platforms are designed to exist in parallel, as each platform has its own focus and users.

Release of the new generation platform is dictated by the times, we cannot stand still. We have to meet the demands of our end clients, i.e. the traders who asked for the possibility to trade on a variety of stock instruments.

Rosh >>:

Это неверное утверждение, множество раз уже заявлялось, что поддержка платформы MetaTrader 4 не будет прекращена с выходом новой MetaTrader 5. По сути, эти платформы призваны существовать паралелльно, так как у каждой из них есть своя направленность и свои пользователи.

By platform support I meant the inability to run MQL4 code on MT5. This does not in any way contradict the release of the new MT5 platform with its new features and vision, but the strategic decision not to support MQL4 code in MT5 is puzzling. If MT4 and MQL4 are supposed to be supported further, such a decision looks even more strange, because in this case the transition of traders to MT5 and MQL5 will be even less massive and longer, and will only waste developers' energy on supporting the two competing products.
Reason: