Trading Systems: Synthetic Bars - A New Dimension to Displaying Graphical Information on Prices

New article Synthetic Bars - A New Dimension to Displaying Graphical Information on Prices has been published:

The main drawback of traditional methods for displaying price information using bars and Japanese candlesticks is that they are bound to the time period. It was perhaps optimal at the time when these methods were created but today when the market movements are sometimes too rapid, prices displayed in a chart in this way do not contribute to a prompt response to the new movement. The proposed price chart display method does not have this drawback and provides a quite familiar layout.

Author: Rustem Bigeev

The Russian version of this article has nearly 50 comments - you can get the basic meaning of them using google translate. Importantly they contain a fix to the indicator, involving the addition of a deinit() function, and there also seems to be something relating to an EA mechanism that uses synbars.

Just wanna thank you for the article.
It was a while that I was looking for a way to draw price action based charts... you opened the way to a whole new way of trading.

Outstanding work!

Cheers.

VERY interesting and sounds very promising!

I'll be back to take a much closer look when I have the time.

But I want to make sure that were are referring to the same thing in the cautions about not trading when using it when a 'GAP' is forming.

What exactly do you mean by a 'GAP' in this instance please?

I'm hoping that I am able to utilize the corresponding Russian thread.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

DougRH

I was wondering if there's a way to display these synthetic bars in visual backtest mode. If so & anyone knows how its done, can you please post instructions here? Thanks :)

you guys should check WHRoeder comment https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/139320

onewithzachy:
you guys should check WHRoeder comment https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/139320
Thanks for the link to WHRoeder's comment - definitely worth applying his fixes to the code. Unfortunately my own question remains though - is there any way to display these synthetic bars / Constant Range bars in the backtester in visual mode?

slipshod:
Thanks for the link to WHRoeder's comment - definitely worth applying his fixes to the code. Unfortunately my own question remains though - is there any way to display these synthetic bars / Constant Range bars in the backtester in visual mode?

http://articles.mql4.com/en/articles/1417 and I think stringo mention attaching template to the tester chart, but I forget where he say that.

I've added WHRoeder's comments to my copy of the indicator - seems to work ok. I'd attach it here but can't figure out how its done, but I have posted it at ForexTSD. Also included in that post are the steps to enabling backtesting (visual and otherwise) with these range bars.

Edit: Nevermind, attached the modified indicator here afterall :)

I couldnt get the EA version to compile. Im getting an error on the RegisterWindow call.

hkjonus:
I couldnt get the EA version to compile. Im getting an error on the RegisterWindow call.

Chances are you didn't put the new WinUser32.mqh in the include directory.