Off-topic posts - page 114

@phade #: Hello, when someone uploads an indicator with a copyright note and symbol, does it mean the code should be modified only for personal use? or with permission from the owner it can be modified and uploaded? I never uploaded a modded script to the codebase, but I'm just wondering about the rules on it, because sometimes we might be able to improve/further develop an indicator

Strictly stated, yes — copyright for the code always belongs to the original programmer.

If you intend to modify and republish the source code, then you can add your contribution credits to change log. You must, however, not change the original copyright notice.

However, if most of the new code is your own, and only a small part is from the original source, then you can replace the copyright with your own, but still credit the original sections in the change log.

If instead you plan to publish to the Market, then unless the author states otherwise or you ask for specific permission, the publicly published code should be for personal use only and not be distributed commercially.

If you wish to use it commercially, you MUST ask for permission or for a license to distribute.

As for the MetaQuotes rules imposed on the website, unfortunately, they fall short. They don’t properly enforce international copyright laws. There are, in fact, many loopholes and deficiencies in those rules.

Another problem is that most coders/programmers (and the users) are ignorant of the copyright laws. They simply do as they please, without realising when they are in the wrong.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Strictly stated, yes — copyright for the code always belongs to the original programmer.

If you intend to modify and republish the source code, then you can add your contribution credits to change log. You must, however, not change the original copyright notice.

However, if most of the new code is your own, and only a small part is from the original source, then you can replace the copyright with your own, but still credit the original sections in the change log.

If instead you plan to publish to the Market, then unless the author states otherwise or you ask for specific permission, the publicly published code should be for personal use only and not be distributed commercially.

If you wish to use it commercially, you MUST ask for permission or for a license to distribute.

As for the MetaQuotes rules imposed on the website, unfortunately, they fall short. They don’t properly enforce international copyright laws. There are, in fact, many loopholes and deficiencies in those rules.

Another problem is that most coders/programmers (and the users) are ignorant of the copyright laws. They simply do as they please, without realising when they are in the wrong.

Very good reply which makes things clear, thank you.

How to access stocks?

2000990531 #:

How to access stocks?

The charts, the price on the charts, the symbols to trade, and the names of the symbols, and the time of the price on the chart - all of them are related to the brokers only.
So, if you want to trade some symbol so you should find the broker which is allowing this symbol for traders (because it is nothing to do with Metatrader platform application at all).

----------------------

read this summary post about stocks in MT5

Where Do I start from? - How to setup MetaTrader 5 and MQ5 for simple automated trading - Forum on Trading, automated trading systems and testing trading
Where Do I start from? - How to setup MetaTrader 5 and MQ5 for simple automated trading - Forum on Trading, automated trading systems and testing trading
  • www.mql5.com
Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies. How to buy, install, test and use a mt5 expert advisor - forum thread with the instruction about howto. It is strongly recommended to watch for any newbie in metatrader 5

pls how can i access forex pairs on deriv metatrader 5. i can only see synthetic pairs.

Ose Ehikhioya #:

pls how can i access forex pairs on deriv metatrader 5. i can only see synthetic pairs.

Connect MT5 to your trading account, and allow all the pairs/symbols in the in the Marjet Watch.
If some issue with that - contact with your broker for support (because all the apirs are related to the brokers only).

can i trade forex pairs on the deriv broker 

Ose Ehikhioya #:

can i trade forex pairs on the deriv broker 

I do not know; you can ask them.

I want to, trade but I don't know how to trade, some one to teach me please

gillan28 #:
I want to, trade but I don't know how to trade, some one to teach me please

Find Metatrader broker (there are a lot of Metatrader brokers, use google to find), and open the account according to their condition on their websites.
Try with demo first.

1. The article - MQL5.community - User Memo 

2. MetaTrader 5 Help - Open an Account

3. Where Do I start from?
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/212020 

4. MetaTrader 5 Help - Trading Platform — User Manual 

5. How to make a search on the forum
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/193510 

6. Find a Server by the Broker's Name: 
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/214820 

7. Broker selection
MQL5.community - User Memo
MQL5.community - User Memo
  • www.mql5.com
You have just registered and most likely you have questions such as, "How do I insert a picture to my a message?" "How do I format my MQL5 source code?" "Where are my personal messages kept?" You may have many other questions. In this article, we have prepared some hands-on tips that will help you get accustomed in MQL5.community and take full advantage of its available features.
Reason: