Stealing Ideas

Honest question

If I see a source code online and modify it by adding extra features, dos it become mine? 

Can I post it online and say I'm the author or do I have to say its from the original programmer. If the latter is true, how can I give credits to myself as the "modifier"? 

Chioma Obunadike: Honest question. If I see a source code online and modify it by adding extra features, dos it become mine? Can I post it online and say I'm the author or do I have to say its from the original programmer. If the latter is true, how can I give credits to myself as the "modifier"? 

Here are some guidelines ...

• Even if code is open-source or available online, Copyrights still need to be respected.
  • Depending on what licensing rights were declared by the author, you may need to obtain permission before you make changes or publish the final code. When in doubt, always ask for permission.
  • If most of the code is not your own, then do not alter the original Copyright text. You may only do so when the majority of the code is your own.
  • Within the code itself, add a comment block where you describe what changes you have made, in the style of a "Change Log" (this is where you credit yourself for the changes).
  • When publishing in the CodeBase make sure to credit the original author of the code in the field that is provided.
EDIT: If the original Copyright text includes the words "All rights reserved", then you have to ALWAYS ask permission, and you can also not use the code for commercial use.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Here are some guidelines ...

• Even if code is open-source or available online, Copyrights still need to be respected.
  • Depending on what licensing rights were declared by the author, you may need to obtain permission before you make changes or publish the final code. When in doubt, always ask for permission.
  • If most of the code is not your own, then do not alter the original Copyright text. You may only do so when the majority of the code is your own.
  • Within the code itself, add a comment block where you describe what changes you have made, in the style of a "Change Log" (this is where you credit yourself for the changes).
  • When publishing in the CodeBase make sure to credit the original author of the code in the field that is provided.
EDIT: If the original Copyright text includes the words "All rights reserved", then you have to ALWAYS ask permission, and you can also not use the code for commercial use.

Alright. Thanks a lot!

Reason: