Off-topic posts - page 24

RLE:

Hi,

Wondering how reliable is MT4 Strategy Tester.
Ran an EA on a live account over a certain time period and compare same time period with Strategy Tester.
To my surprise results are not the same.

Can anybody advise?

MT4 strategy tester?
It is not the same in many cases (in most of the cases concerning my opinion).
It is surprise if it will be same results (especially for scalping, martingale, EA coded on open bar or high/low of the bar, and in many other cases).

Many people are using MT4 strategy tester to optimize EAs to find the settings, or to check the following: EA works or not, stop loss is placed or not, and so on.
But instead of backtesting - they are trading by the EA on demo account.
Besides, the performance depends on the brokers too.

----------------

If you want to get same results with trading so it is better to convert indicators/EAs to MT5 just to test them with 'every tick based on real tick' mode (to be the same as trading) with the broker you are going to use this EA with (because the performance depends on the broker's data/quotes as well).
Look at post to understand the differences between MT4 strategy tester and MT5 strategy tester.

How to perform a backtesting, equivalent to the real trading.
How to perform a backtesting, equivalent to the real trading.
  • www.mql5.com
First of all, a tick-to-tick trial should be used, where it is possible to download all the real ticks that have happened in the forex market...

thandek:
Hello. Im new to this and learning.  Trying to download MT4 but seems its only letting me odnwload MT5.  Any ideas?

You can only download MT4 from a broker's website and not from Metaquotes.

RLE: Wondering how reliable is MT4 Strategy Tester.

To my surprise results are not the same.

What did you set for spread? Always specify Tester-SpreadDon't use current

The spread is constant during the run. It is the current spread for the pair (your broker,) at the moment you start the test.

If you start the test on the weekend, the current spread is likely to be very large.

Most brokers with variable spread widen considerably at end of day (5 PM ET) ± 30 minutes. My GBPJPY (OANDA) shows average spread = 26 points, but average maximum spread = 134. The charts show Bid prices only. Turn on the Ask line to see how big the spread is, Tools → Options (control+O) → charts → Show ask line.

Anyone who can help me on coding.👏

I'm new comer to forex pls advise me

Edmund Dantes Castellanes:
I'm new comer to forex pls advise me

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How to start a Live account?

Sergey Golubev, 2020.07.29 10:29

Find Metatrader broker (there are a lot of metatrader brokers, use google to find), and open the account according to their condition on their websites.

1. The article - MQL5.community - User Memo

2. MetaTrader 5 Help - Open an Account

3. Where Do I start from?
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/212020 

4.  MetaTrader 5 Help - Trading Platform — User Manual 

5. How to make a search on the forum
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/193510 

6. MetaTrader 5 Help - Open an Account

7. Find a Server by the Broker's Name: 
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/214820

Giovanni:

Here there is the multi time frame version.

With multi time frame I mean thath it draws support and resistance in the choosen timeframe (OTF = Other Time frame)
For example if you choose on 1 minute chart the Input parameter 5 minut you'll support/resistance of 5 minute chart painted on 1 min chart.

In the below chart you can see that after Neighborhood bars from a min/max the indicator draw the support/resistance line segment.

The figure show the parellel between SupportResistenzeGioMTF.mq5 applied on timeframe 1 min with input parameter OTF=5' Neighborhood=10 NBar=50

and  SupportResistenzeGio.mq5 with input Neighborhood=10 NBar=50 applied on timeframe 5'

Note that a min/max could be classified Support/Resistance only after Neighborhood bars from it!

Brilliant! Grazie!!

hi have the same issue  with maxi finish 2 it down load
ed but  and show in navigator but when l drag and drop  or attach to chart nothing happens  how do l reinstall an indicator  again 

Hello.  I have a problem. I'm a starter trader. I opened a trading account with the broker ALPARI. I also downloaded 2 EA robots there / Legend EA , EUR/USD, M15 , and Envelope EA , USD/CHF, M5 /.
From the beginning, 14 days PC has not opened the transaction.  
I have on PC panel in the top right corner SMILE  and - AUTO TRADING-  is white. If I click - Expert Advisors- Strategy Tester - then there is a GREEN  LINE.

Maybe you can give advice and what should I must to change? 

Regards,
Toomas 

Seakari1:
Hello.  I have a problem. I'm a starter trader. I opened a trading account with the broker ALPARI. I also downloaded 2 EA robots there / Legend EA , EUR/USD, M15 , and Envelope EA , USD/CHF, M5 /.
From the beginning, 14 days PC has not opened the transaction.  
I have on PC panel in the top right corner SMILE  and - AUTO TRADING-  is white. If I click - Expert Advisors- Strategy Tester - then there is a GREEN  LINE.

Maybe you can give advice and what should I must to change? 

Regards,
Toomas 
How to Start with Metatrader 5
How to Start with Metatrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
I decided to create this thread to help to myself and to the others to start with Metatrader 5...
Reason: