MT4/Ubuntu/WINE/Soft4FX

I'm pretty new to all of these things (been running Ubuntu for only a few months)

I've recently installed MT4 on Ubuntu using the most recent version of WINE. Seems to be running okay. 

Today, I just started trying to use Soft4FX (a backtesting EA plug in for MT4) with it and whenever it starts up, everything seems fine, but the moment I ask it to do something (like download tick data), it will run for about 5-10 seconds, then it will freeze. After clicking the x/close/cancel, Ubuntu brings up a message saying that I need to force quit it.

I'm pretty stupid with this stuff, but I feel like it's demanding too much of some resource and it's hitting some limit that WINE has set. My hardware is pretty fantastic, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue at all. Either some basic windows framework is missing (installed net framework a few minutes ago to see if it'd help, it didn't) or there's some resource limitation that MT4 is breaking and it's causing everything to lock up. 

Any help is much appreciated! 

i7 4790k

16gb ram

Nvidia 1080ti

Solid State Drive

Ubuntu 18.04

Wine 4.x + (not sure which one exactly)

EDIT/UPDATE:

The problem is on going, but currently I'm hung up trying to get Net Framework 4.5 and above installed on WINE on Ubuntu. It's getting hung up. The pastebin for the terminal text is here if it means anything to you. https://pastebin.com/0jMALnHT I have a post on the Ubuntu reddit trying to get this part resolved. I'm still not convinced that this is the primary issue, but it can't be helping. 

It's not a good idea to add things like that to MetaTrader when it is running on Linux.

Your best solution is to switch to windows and use that plugin there.

MetaTrader on Linux is usable but can easily become troublesome when diverting from the standard or basic operation.

I appreciate your quick reply. 

Unfortunately, I won't be using windows for the near future. I'm very open to considering other free/open source operating systems if need be, though (other linux distros, preferably), but that's probably not going to be of any help if what you say is the truth. 

I'll keep looking for my solutions for Ubuntu for now, I suppose. If anyone else here is a Linux junkie and has figured out a really stable setup, I'd love to hear it still. 

Thanks! 

You can also run a virtualbox with a windows installation.

Marco vd Heijden:
You can also run a virtualbox with a windows installation.

Thanks again, Marco

Yeah, there in lies the problem, though. Then I've got to have an installation of Windows which is the main thing I'm trying to avoid, personally. I've got a valid and legal windows key from years back, but I really just don't care for Microsoft and I wish to stay off of their data-hungry operating system completely. I have extra drives laying around that I could even install it on. I'm just trying to stay off of Windows period.

Thanks again! 

I feel the same about that.

So you do not really need any plugin for MetaTrader you can just use it as is.

Marco vd Heijden:

I feel the same about that.

So you do not really need any plugin for MetaTrader you can just use it as is.

Yes, I can. It runs acceptably otherwise.

I'm not sure if you've ever looked into soft4fx, but it's a backtesting plugin that allows you to load up historical data inside MT4 and basically trade on it with all your MT4 indicators and stuff. I really would like to get it going so that I can do my backtesting better without being biased by the right side. 

I think all of that that can also be done with a standard installation.

Marco vd Heijden:
I think all of that that can also be done with a standard installation.
If there is, I've yet to find anything near as functional. Like I said, soft4fx is just a EA for MT4. You're still doing it inside mt4, but it allows fetching of tick data from other sources, actually placing simulated trades/sl/tp, etc and will even export them to an excel sheet for you at the end. It just seems so bizarre that MT4 is stable until the EA is started. 

Still working on this. 

As of right now, I emailed the Soft4Fx developer and he said that when it's on Windows, it's crucial to have Net Framework 4.5 or above installed. WINE only has 4.0 installed and any time I try and install 4.5 or above, it gets hung up in the terminal. I'm not convinced this is the primary issue, but I'm sure it's not helping one bit. It still seems bizarre that MT4 runs fine until I put an Expert Adviser on there and then it crashes suddenly. Even though this isn't the place, it is related to the issue. If you happen to know anything about Linux terminal, here's the text from my most recent attempt. 

https://pastebin.com/0jMALnHT

Thanks again, peeps. 

If it's NET framework issues i'm not even going to try it.

Total waste of precious time.

If it's NET framework issues then the best option would be to use windows.

Maybe you can get it to run offline so you don't have to worry about safety.

Reason: