Using CCI to Make a Living Off Forex - page 5

Thanks Codex,

I was testing around with Non Lag MA v7.1 after I read your post. It also works well. How do you think both differ?

Wow Thanks Codex!

I am happy to help, and am glad I could bring some light to the trickiness that is forex.

Simple is the best, but its the confidence you have in CCI that will get you through the rough trading times in Forex. And I loved CCI from the beginning because I too saw its potential by just looking at the charts peaks and bottoms which can be see in CCI aswell. Just took a while to make them into valid trades.

Pips for everyone!

For some reason, mladen's indicator is drawing the trend change at least 1-3 bars sooner than the 7.1 indicator from igorad. However comparing igorad 7.1 version to his latest 7.9 is proving difficult. (I am also trying to trawl the forum as to the change log between 7.1 to 7.9, was 7.9 the evolution and did it contain bug fixes? I do not know)

So my comparison between the mladens nonlagMA and the 7.1MA is not quite balanced. Maybe igorad will see this message and help out explaining how to use his 7.9 indicator. It has all those additional parameters that need tweaking. I must have spent 3 hours playing with them to try and get it to the same as mladens, eventually just ended going with mladens as his was "simpler to use".

Both indicators are 100% suited for your strategy though.

Cheers

Codex

Codex:
Hi James,

I have been playing around with using a nonlagMA with a period of between 5 and 10. I am finding that this can help with the exists quite nicely.

The nonlagma I am using is the one from MLaden "nonlagma - nrp". You able to apply "colors" to the trends, so I find that as soon as the 8 CCI crosses the 100/ -100) and you are at the peak of your trade, I start watching the nonlagma and as soon as it changes colors I exit, which in 90% of the cases has proved to be the peak. (I think he also did a histo version of the same nonlagMA, which is quite nice as then you don't have to clutter your charts)

Here is a screenshot of my charts with the nonlagMA in histo form.

I'm still playing around with settings, but for now I just chose a period of 5, but I think this should be more around 10-14...

Screenshot is using 5.

Further Update:

I think the sweet spot for this nonlagma is around 8, if anyone else is using this nonlagma I would be interested in your settings.

I am using this nonlagma as an additional tool to help with exits.

Cheers

Codex

The only difference which I would like to see in Mladen's "non lag MA" is PCTfilter option (in nonLagma_7_1) which I found quite useful.

James the Giant:
And I am testing the EA to make sure it doesnt close my live trades once I attach it to my charts. I am checking it on demo. The EA just opens or closes a trade once CCI 8 crosses zero, doesnt take into account the larger trend crossing 100 levels. So its a semi auto EA.

James, I can add CCI 14 as filter. So if CCI14 is between 100-0 and CCI8 cross zero line, open SELL order and vice versa for BUY.

Thanks altoronto, but I would like to keep this strategy more manual than auto since I am filtering with USD strength and non lag ma. Thanks though.

And thanks Codex for your review of the different Non Lag MAs. I am going to try Mladens NLMA since it looks very useful to this strategy.

James the Giant:
Thanks altoronto, but I would like to keep this strategy more manual than auto since I am filtering with USD strength and non lag ma. Thanks though.

Sure, np. or I can add nonLagMa filter. Btw. is it MagicNumber works for you, open/close trades?

There is a small (very small) but a difference in the way calculation is done. I will let you find it (wouldn't like to kill the joy of finding the difference )

And I agree with you : whichever you use, both are reliable

Mladen

Codex:
For some reason, mladen's indicator is drawing the trend change at least 1-3 bars sooner than the 7.1 indicator from igorad. However comparing igorad 7.1 version to his latest 7.9 is proving difficult. (I am also trying to trawl the forum as to the change log between 7.1 to 7.9, was 7.9 the evolution and did it contain bug fixes? I do not know)

So my comparison between the mladens nonlagMA and the 7.1MA is not quite balanced. Maybe igorad will see this message and help out explaining how to use his 7.9 indicator. It has all those additional parameters that need tweaking. I must have spent 3 hours playing with them to try and get it to the same as mladens, eventually just ended going with mladens as his was "simpler to use".

Both indicators are 100% suited for your strategy though.

Cheers

Codex

EA Anyone?

Altoronto, it would be great to at least finish the EA to match JTGs strategy. I think this will help filter out a few losers which prevent the EA from being solidly profitable.

JTG - I too thank you for sharing your method. I have never used CCI before but do see real value here. You have helped to further at least one traders education and probably many more.

Thanks again!

ej5