Martingale EA - page 24

I could not get it to make a profit...perhaps I was using the wrong Nexttrade? I agree with you that this EA could be used like it should, the problem that I have is that price will drop below the long and then start shorts then rise with longs again...then start over...building lotsize progressively and never giving TP.

ES

Cijas:
I don't understand why you want to make the EA trade in only one direction : i think the biggest interest of this EA is that even if the first trade is wrong direction, you will finally catch the trend (and contrary to other martingales you dont increase lots against trend with the fear of marging call).

Can i suggest we add in a time filter timing?

e.g EA only adds trade at a certain time of the day which we would choose the most volatile time of the day.

Any opinions on this?

ElectricSavant:
wolfe,

I am reposting this as this might be real convienient for some. I realize your plate is full for v1.5 and making it more efficient, but this would be a great addition to consider in my opinion, as there are many ways to use this EA.

Can we have an overide on the entry direction completely and get an input where we can indicate an initial entry direction choice of long or short?

1 for long

-1 for short

If you can implement this...that will mean that this EA will offer three types of options for initial entry direction...

The MA settings

The BO settings

User input settings

wolfe you can see that by implementing this you will give the user another option for him to use, in the event he has a bias about the direction. (he may be using Long Only or Short Only inputs in the common tab of the smiley)

ES

I'll work on this option.

I included one of your ideas in v1_4. You now have Auto_Restart in your external variables. If set to false, EA will not re-start cycle after a cycle has been closed out.

Thanks for your testing and contribution ES.

lcfxtrader:
Anyone out there having success?

Yes, I've been testing since Jan. 14, very consistent results.

NO LOT INCREMENTING OR DOUBLING. This is the key to success for most of these systems.

Forget backtesting altogether, just forward test.

This EA works very well if you set it up correctly.

It's fine as it is (I'd just like to see MM for lot sizing).

You create new problems by adding directionality..

Do you close all trades out when direction changes or leave them open?

Do you open trades only in the direction of trend?

What kind of indicator will respond quickly enough to render the strategy more effective?

Time filtering does not enhance performance either as you are restricting the market movement to YOUR criteria which price does not recognize.

Simpler is better. Price action alone enables this to work, as eventually it WILL move farther in one direction than another. That's all that's needed.

Please enlighten the system creator. LOL

WNW:
Yes, I've been testing since Jan. 14, very consistent results.

NO LOT INCREMENTING OR DOUBLING. This is the key to success for most of these systems.

Forget backtesting altogether, just forward test.

I ran a short forward test using your method. I did not increase lot size. I had Next_Trade set at 20, TP at $15.00, and SL at $300.00. I think the key may be no increasing of lot size, not a small Next_Trade (5-10 too small), a small TP, and a large SL. If you can suffer the draw down, I think you will eventually hit your TP.

I ran this short test on 6 pairs at the same time with v1_4. The floating loss is high (keep in mind 6 pairs are running), but it never hit it's SL.

Files:
v1_46pr.gif  107 kb

WNW:

You create new problems by adding directionality..

Do you close all trades out when direction changes or leave them open?

Do you open trades only in the direction of trend?

What kind of indicator will respond quickly enough to render the strategy more effective?

Time filtering does not enhance performance either as you are restricting the market movement to YOUR criteria which price does not recognize.

Simpler is better. Price action alone enables this to work, as eventually it WILL move farther in one direction than another. That's all that's needed.

I agree with your assessment WNW.

Autumm:
Can i suggest we add in a time filter timing?

e.g EA only adds trade at a certain time of the day which we would choose the most volatile time of the day.

Any opinions on this?

Part of the way this EA works is to add trades to get you out of the hole. If you put a time choke on it, I think the basic functionality of the system would fail.

WNW:
...Forget backtesting altogether, just forward test...

Forward test means setting future date in the tester, right?

Reason: