V1andV2 Hedged EA: Beautiful Equity Curve - page 3

pipsweak:
Here's the equity curve starting January of 02. Account blown out after 9 months.

I have never had a curve like that; possibly cucurucu will be in here shortly and help us understand. Thank you.

Thanks for this thread. I've been looking to hedge the blessing system v7 EA. I'll try v1 and v2 to see how they work.

I have backtested and forward tested V1+V2_5% and it is profitable for EURUSD and USDJPY only.

I changed the settings to have 20 pips for TP and 10% equity gain to close all open orders.

This EA run using small micro lots on a medium sized account looks to be quite good if you're willing to wait and take small gains on a monthly basis. The important thing is to withdraw the money every month so that if there ever is a catastrophic margin call you would be alright.

I am just awaiting the fix for buy orders on this EA. It closes all open Buy orders when MT4 is restarted which means that this EA is virtually unusable for the moment.

pipsweak:
There will still come a time when the system blows up and you will blow the entire account before you are able to make back your original investment, as shown in the backtests. It appears that 07 has been good for this EA, but try 05. The fun won't last forever.

That was my concern when I ran a backtest. I feared that somewhere along the line there will be atleast one margin call, and one is all you need to wreck havoc.

Pipsweak, I understand you're talking about the straight v1+v2mini. Do you think there may be some merit to mikejody's closing all trades every 5% gain idea?

Just note.. here's a backtest from Jan 01 1999.. The fear of a margin call will always be there. But if you use small lots relative to a large account and not be greedy you can do very well over a number of years thanks to compounding.

Files:

drgoodvibe:
I have backtested and forward tested V1+V2_5% and it is profitable for EURUSD and USDJPY only.

I changed the settings to have 20 pips for TP and 10% equity gain to close all open orders.

This EA run using small micro lots on a medium sized account looks to be quite good if you're willing to wait and take small gains on a monthly basis. The important thing is to withdraw the money every month so that if there ever is a catastrophic margin call you would be alright.

I am just awaiting the fix for buy orders on this EA. It closes all open Buy orders when MT4 is restarted which means that this EA is virtually unusable for the moment.

drgoodvibe, how long was your forward test? and are all the orders closing at 5% (or 10% in your case) correctly in your test?

drgoodvibe:
Just note.. here's a backtest from Jan 01 1999.. The fear of a margin call will always be there. But if you use small lots relative to a large account and not be greedy you can do very well over a number of years thanks to compounding.

Thanks Drgoodvibe. What in your opinion and testing is "small lots relative to a large account" as it relates to a mini account? In other words, what would be a good balance in a mini-account to avoid any margin calls.

Also, I use 400.1 leverage which would obviously help to withstand any possible margin call as well.

Thank you.

hhsmoney:
drgoodvibe, how long was your forward test? and are all the orders closing at 5% (or 10% in your case) correctly in your test?

I just chanced upon this EA at the begining of this week so I have let it run all week long. I have been observing it carefully, especially during yesterdays good news for the USD and this mornings Bad NFP news for the USD and the EA at maximum has gone to level 4. Which means an 80 Pips run with no retracement. However there was a 20 pip retracement then which successfully closed out all open orders at a profit.

Being the fact that during the NFP is quite possibly the most volatile time for EURUSD or USDJPY I figured if this EA must fail it will fail on this day. And to be honest it has performed fine.

As for wether it has successfully closed all opern orders at a 10% equit rise, I am using a fairly large account relative to using micro lots. I figure it will be another week before the account is fully at 10%. Will post the results then.

hhsmoney:
That was my concern when I ran a backtest. I feared that somewhere along the line there will be atleast one margin call, and one is all you need to wreck havoc. Pipsweak, I understand you're talking about the straight v1+v2mini. Do you think there may be some merit to mikejody's closing all trades every 5% gain idea?

Actually, my concern is the same no matter what type of variation or where you take profits. Even if were to take your money out after you make 5%, you would still run into problems.

Example:

You start with $10k. You have withdrawn 5% 10 times in a row, so now have $5k in profits. Now the EA blows out and you lose 90% of the account or $9k, so you now have $6k. In order to gain an edge, you need to be able to get at least a 5% increase in equity more than 20 times in a row before blowing the account out. I think it's very unlikley in the long run.

mikejody:
Thanks Drgoodvibe. What in your opinion and testing is "small lots relative to a large account" as it relates to a mini account? In other words, what would be a good balance in a mini-account to avoid any margin calls.

Also, I use 400.1 leverage which would obviously help to withstand any possible margin call as well.

Thank you.

I am using IBFX mini account. Which means that .01 lots is 1 cent, Or $0.01. To trade at this level you would need at least $500.

Now here's the trick to the major money management of this.. at $600 the compounding will increase to 0.02 or $0.02. My Plan is to remove 50% of all equtiy that is gained in the account every two weeks.

So if I made let's say $100 in two weeks, I would remove $50 from the account and just put in a Savings account. This way after a couple of weeks you will have the money you initially invested in this strategy and you will no longer need to be too worried about a margin call becuase you're trading with money you have taken from the market.

note: this is an extremely conservative money management strategy to an extremely aggressive trading strategy. The hedging is great and really pads the account, but the martingaleing like many have said before me will destroy your account. It's not an IF it's a when..

Reason: