Questions: to start with MetaTrader and forex - page 6

General/Newbie EA/Indicator Questions

Hi all,

I apologize up front for the long post. I'm new here and I hope I have chosen the right forum as reference for learning some mt4 programing. I've been browsing around MQL4.com, but I'm finding that site frustrating to find simple answers, and the documentation seems to be missing details on object parameters.

I've been learning forex for maybe a couple of months now. Browsing different systems; learning indicators and patterns. Really lots of fun. I started a demo account with Oanda at first, then I found MT4. Didn't like MT4 in the beginning, but once I learned you could code for it I'm much more interested in MT4!

The better I get at recognizing good trades the more I'm missing those good trades, since I'm not at my computer as soon as a candle completes a realiable pattern, or when the indicators of a basic system line up with jupiter. Needless to say I'm making very few trades, but learning what I can from hindsight.

With that in mind, I would like to give EA automation a shot so I can execute trades while I'm away from my computer. I have a programing background, so the coding isn't a problem. I'm getting my feet wet creating an indicator based on criteara I would like to use for trading, but I'm having some problems, like drawing arrows based on two different indicators. Say a yellow arrow for MACD criteara and a blue arrow for for stochastic criteara. I end up with both arrows the same color, even though the object parameters are pretty clear. It's like the first buffer overrules the consecutive ones. Do I need to create separate indicators or keep troubleshooting?

So as I'm plodding along, I'm also thinking I should just jump right to EA's so I can run the automated back testing. But I'm not sure if I can make an EA draw arrows (would like to do boxes as well) when criteria line up and a position is opened or closed. I'd like to have some chart visuals while creating a system. Is it standard to create and indicator first, visually backtest for errors, then convert the indicator into an EA?

I'm pretty excited to get started, but I don't want to jump in thinking I can accomplish something only to find that the application doesn't accommodate. Time is precious ya know!

So to cut things short, can an EA create visuals like an indicator as far as arrows, text, lines, etc?

I'm on a demo account with ibfx right now, but what differences will I encounter between a demo and live account? I'm thinking I should open a small live account sooner than later for accurate results.

Thanks!

.ex4 cannot attach

Hi all,

I have an indicator with .ex4 file only. I have copied it into \expert\indicator directory but I cannot find from the "custom indicator" in MT4. What should I do?

Thank you

p.s. I am sorry that I cannot attach the file because I am not supposed to do it.

:: is it an indicator or an EA (expert advisor) ? they have to be in another folder, but even then you have to see them... & please restart your metatrader platform first & look for it again...

IN10TION

footy98:
Hi all,

I have an indicator with .ex4 file only. I have copied it into \expert\indicator directory but I cannot find from the "custom indicator" in MT4. What should I do?

Thank you

p.s. I am sorry that I cannot attach the file because I am not supposed to do it.

Hi,

It is not an EA but an indicator. I have restarted MT4 a few times but fail to load it. I am sure I put it into \expert\indicator directory and I have tried 2 different computers.

Thank you

Failure

We could think the indicator have a bug and the ex4 is incomplete. Have you check the log? some message there? Another problem could be it's expired.

Single EA multiple accounts

I am running an EA on many Live accounts, for this i have to keep many terminals open, each terminal for each account , and the laptop is already very slow now and crawling. And dont want to go for VPS solutions.

IS there a better way to do this ?

Any help will be appreciated.

peterdias77:
Any help will be appreciated.

Fill the PC with 4GB RAM and a quadcore.

i don't think you have any choice

Reason: