A real MetaTrader for LInux ? - an open question to MetaQuotes Software Corp.

Hi,

as I like MetaTrader, I am openly asking MetaQuotes Software Corp. when will you finally provide a normal  MetaTrader version , dedicated for Linux ?

Please answer this question, and please do not tell about wine +  MetaTrader under Linux as it does not always run properly and works much slower then under Windows.

For example:

- the same profile under Linux and wine +  MetaTrader4 uses about 85% of CPU on my PC, while it uses only about 60% of CPU on the same PC on Windows ;

-  making any operations under Linux and wine +  MetaTrader4  is considerably slower then on Windows

(  maximizing a complex chart window uses about 2,4 seconds under Linux and wine +  MetaTrader4 , while it uses less then 1 second under Windows )

As   MetaQuotes Software Corp. is a professional  company, I believe you are capable to provide a  professional  MetaTrader version, dedicated for Linux .

Thanks in advance.

I think - it may be good to send a suggestion/requests via the service desk to admins/developers other than to wait when they will come to you on this thread for this public duspute for example.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Metatrader4 / Linux / Signals

Aleksey Pak, 2015.05.18 09:43

Hello, unfortunately Signals Service not work in the Linux.
PS. 16th of May 2019 - 

Good news now on this MQ announcement  - https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/313653 - 

Terminal: Added support for "Market", "Signals" and "Search" in Wine. Linux and Mac OS users can now access the largest store of trading applications and the copy trading service.

PS. from 11th of June 2019 - New MetaTrader 5 platform build 2085: Integration with Python and Strategy Tester improvements

Added support for "Market", "Signals" and "Search" in Wine. Linux and Mac OS users can now access the largest store of trading applications along with the copy trading service.

PS. from 04th of September 2019.
The other good news, and for now - about Metatrader 4 build 1210 (and higher) -

Added support for "Market", "Signals" and "Search" in Wine. Linux and Mac OS users can now access the largest store of trading applications along with the copy trading service.

MetaTrader 5 platform beta build 2055: Integration with Python, C++ like scope and Strategy Tester improvements
MetaTrader 5 platform beta build 2055: Integration with Python, C++ like scope and Strategy Tester improvements
  • www.mql5.com
The beta version of the updated MetaTrader 5 platform will be released on Friday, May 17, 2019...

TRADING USING LINUX

Trading in financial markets is not principal earner for all users of the online trading platform MetaTrader 4. It is not always convenient to keep the trading terminal open all the time, and sound alerts require either continuous keeping loudspeakers on (what can provide problems if you have, for example, little children) or wearing headphones all the time which is not always comfortable or healthy. The way out may be provided by operating system Linux.

METATRADER 5 ON LINUX

Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. Linux systems are widely used in smartphones and server hardware. Many home PC users prefer it to MS Windows series.

In this article, you will find out how to work in MetaTrader 5 via one of the Linux versions - Ubuntu. 

METATRADER 4 ON LINUX

Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. Linux systems are widely used in smartphones and server hardware. Many home PC users prefer it to MS Windows series.

In this article, you will find out how to work in MetaTrader 4 via one of the Linux versions - Ubuntu.

RUNNING METATRADER 4 CLIENT TERMINAL ON LINUX-DESKTOP

Like the majority of programs, written exceptionally for a family of Windows operation systems, the MetaTrader 4 Client Terminal was long unavailable for use by Linux operation system admirers. Launching this program using vmware emulator doesn't count. This emulator uses too many resources. Besides it is not an opensource, which the author of the article considers a disadvantage. Moreover, the developers of this generally good program make the registration, necessary for receiving and using their product, more difficult with each new version. There is also Lin4Win. It is also paid, so the opensource fans do not face a wide choice - only wine. GPL license, under which the program is distributed, allows involving a great number of programmers from all over the world in the development of this non-emulator. That is why the new versions of this program appear on the average twice a month, sometimes even more often. With each new version the number of programs, working under Windows, that now can be launched using this emulator increases. Now let's get directly to running MetaTrader 4 Client Terminal. 

@Sergey Golubev

Thank you for recalling all the information what MetaTrader currently is. 

But as, unfortunately it is not properly working under Linux, I wonder if MetaQuotes Software Corp. is going to modify MetaTrader in the way, that it will be working properly under Linux too ? That's why I started this thread. 

Or maybe  MetaQuotes Software Corp. does not care about Linux traders too much, and those traders should look after some alternative to MetaTrader trading software/brokers in such a situation ?

It is a good idea to send a suggestion to admins/developers and I will do it.

I once asked the service desk about a Linux-version and got the answer it's not planned :(

The answer from service desk: they are not going to provide a normal MetaTrader for Linux :(

So, as MT4 (+Wine) works very slowly and consumes very much CPU under Linux, that practically I can NOT use it, I am forced to find an alternative to MT4 under Linux. At the moment I know two brokers providing such an alternative: Dukascopy and Oanda. Do you know any other alternatives ?

I just don't understand where you got that.

On my machine the terminal runs smoothly and i would say even better under linux then under windows.

Maybe you got it set up wrongly.

Reason: