A real MetaTrader for LInux ? - an open question to MetaQuotes Software Corp. - page 2

Marco vd Heijden:

On my machine the terminal runs smoothly and i would say even better under linux then under windows.

Agreed. I just moved one platform from Wine to Windows 10 (same hardware), and it was faster on Wine.

Maybe it runs good on new machines (where you can install Windows 10), but on my old PC it runs terrible, as I described it in the first post.

alinuxtrader:
Maybe it runs good on new machines (where you can install Windows 10), but on my old PC it runs terrible, as I described it in the first post.

What hardware do you have, and which distro? I'm running it on a fanless Pineview Atom (2010)... it was pathetic even when new, but blissfully silent. Certainly not a new machine! I used lubuntu distros.

Linux distro is not a problem. I am using the newest Manjaro version (based on Arch, so generally it is faster then Debian/Ubuntu family).

Hardware may be the problem.

Previously I was using AMD single core CPU (over 10 years old) without SSE2 support and under older versions of MT4 it was acceptable under Linux (though it was solver then on Windows XP).

Real problems started when MetaQuotes forced brokers and their clients to use newer versions of MT4 requiring SSE2 support. So I had to change PC to a slightly newer Intel single core CPU with SSE2 support. And on this machine MT4 runs, but with problems, which I described in the first post.  

Currently MT4 is a software without official support. No more developments will be released in MT4. Therefore, we will not see native MT4 for Linux. You should ask your question to developers about MT5, not about MT4. Regards.

alinuxtrader:

Linux distro is not a problem. I am using the newest Manjaro version (based on Arch, so generally it is faster then Debian/Ubuntu family).

Hardware may be the problem.

Previously I was using AMD single core CPU (over 10 years old) without SSE2 support and under older versions of MT4 it was acceptable under Linux (though it was solver then on Windows XP).

Real problems started when MetaQuotes forced brokers and their clients to use newer versions of MT4 requiring SSE2 support. So I had to change PC to a slightly newer Intel single core CPU with SSE2 support. And on this machine MT4 runs, but with problems, which I described in the first post.  

I've used openSUSE, just on Intel pentium dual core E5400, with 4GB ddr2 ram. MT4 run just fine. Not sure about Intel single core but nowadays dual core is quite commonly use.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
Currently MT4 is a software without official support. No more developments will be released in MT4. Therefore, we will not see native MT4 for Linux. You should ask your question to developers about MT5, not about MT4. Regards.

I asked them generally: "are you going to provide a normal and properly working MetaTrader version under Linux ?" and the answer was general too: "No, we aren't. You can use MetaTrader for Linux as it's described in Help."

But I write about MT4 now, as my best and optimal MetaTrader broker supports MT4 only.

Reason: