SL to be or not to be

Hello everyone. It's no secret that many traders are not very keen on using stop losses.
For a long time I have not been able to understand how and where to place the stoploss. Somewhere it is written to apply it in relation to depo drawdown, somewhere it is written to put it under/over the minimum/maximum.
But nowhere have I seen a clear mathematical explanation on the fingers.
I myself did not want to accept stoplosses, because I thought I was the smartest and always right. But you know what the market does with them.
So now I trade with stoplosses without interference. I am a little bit aware that I may not always be right.
I've made this topic hoping to get some knowledge about the stop loss distances and it would be interesting to know who and how is dealing with them.

Anatolii Zainchkovskii:
But nowhere have I seen a coherent mathematical explanation on my fingers.

Hi. And you won't see an intelligible explanation, much less a mathematical one. There isn't one in nature.

Anatolii Zainchkovskii:
Greetings to all. It's no secret that many traders are not particularly keen on using stop losses.
For a long time I have not been able to understand how and where to place the stoploss. Somewhere it is written to apply it in relation to depo drawdown, somewhere it is written to put it under/over the minimum/maximum.
But nowhere have I seen a clear mathematical explanation on the fingers.
I myself did not want to accept stoplosses, because I thought I was the smartest and always right. But you know what the market does with them.
So now I trade with stoplosses without interference. I am a little bit aware that I may not always be right.
The topic created in the hope of gaining knowledge about the distance of setting st (stoploss), and generally wondering who and how it manages.

If you're right about the direction you're going, then this way the market will work out:

If you're right in the direction, then that level against the move, which the price will reach in time T (for example in a couple of hours) with a probability 0.2 for example, that is small.

You get SL=f(T,P); i.e. figuratively stop loss is calculated from time and reliability, not from points/fractals/extremes.

Maxim Kuznetsov:

Armed with an iron ass, statistics, thermostat and everything you know about the market, you calculate:

If you're right in the direction, such a level against the move, which the price will reach in time T (for example in a couple of hours) with a probability 0.2 for example, that is small.

You get SL=f(T,P); i.e. figuratively stop loss is calculated from time and reliability, not from points/fractals/extremes.

So, this approach is a challenge. Have you already calculated the function for yourself? What percentage of profit/loss trades do you have?

Aleksandr Volotko:

Hi. And you won't see a coherent, much less mathematical explanation. There isn't one in nature.

Hi, as you can see Max has already given a rather interesting and most importantly a sound method.

Anatolii Zainchkovskii:
Hi, as you can see Max has already given a rather interesting and most importantly justified method.

Everything is relative.

And then there's a lot of "maths": "iron ass", "everything you know about the market" (the market itself knows little about itself, let alone its participants), "if you're right".

All in all, the validity of this is for the amateur. But if it helps him to make a real profit - then you're welcome, as they say. Maybe it will suit you too.

Cool traders don't use stops, they're for wimps. Put a position in, go about your business, come back and take the profit.

Aleksandr Volotko:

Everything is relative.

Oh, man. It's a good idea. In fact, I have the function ready, I just need to apply the dynamics.
At the moment my stoploss is set at the time of opening a trade and remains static.
But as time passes, the price of the asset and the probability data shifts.
In essence the parabolic sar is close enough, but I will apply my calculations.

or you give away the deposit...

Aliaksandr Hryshyn:
Cool traders don't use stops, they're for wimps. They do not use stops, they are used by weaklings. You set a position, go about your business, come back and take your profit.
I used to be a cool trader, but now I'm getting old and I want to be more ordinary.)

Alexander Bereznyak:
or you give away the deposit...
And it has been, many times )
Reason: