Older items - page 3

On some indices, the minimum price change step is 5 points. When you ask for the minimum change, you get 1 point. Therefore on these indices you have to multiply by 5, so that you are not surprised ;))

Олег avtomat:
On some indices, the minimum price change step is 5 points. When you ask for the minimum change, you get 1 point. So you have to multiply by 5 on these indices, not to be surprised ;))
Interesting, I did not know, I only trade on currencies. Although I used to trade crypto indices with my hands, but only on demo.

Alexey Volchanskiy:
Yes. But there are other currencies, futures, stocks, options, and so on. What are we talking about now - the correct pips concept or how to correctly calculate the real price range, for example Real_CL = price + SL? I said about my method, all these points are bogus.

We're talking about how to define the dimensionality of the points (what to multiply by). If you want to specify some indentation expressed in points, you need to know which points the user has in mind. In the code you cited for the EInPoint case you need to multiply by 10 or not multiply by 10. This is the issue of when to multiply and when not to multiply.

And this topic concerns any symbol, because several years ago, the accuracy of quotes representation in the majority of brokerage companies increased by 10 times. But the points value has not changed. Many people refer to "old" points as points.

Ihor Herasko:

We're talking about how to define the dimensionality of the points (what to multiply by). If you want to specify some indentation expressed in points, you need to know what kind of points the user has in mind. In the code you cited for the EInPoint case you need to multiply by 10 or not multiply by 10. This is the issue of when to multiply and when not to multiply.

And this topic concerns any symbol, because several years ago, the accuracy of quotes representation in the majority of brokerage companies increased by 10 times. But the points value has not changed. Many people refer to "old" points as points.

That's exactly what I'm interested in. And clients usually ask to specify everything in pips. He usually forgets about the old points, even though he has repeatedly said so and it turns out he wants to see the value at once, without any multiplication by 10.

The way I look at it in practice, if it is written in pips, there is no need to multiply anything. Is this statement true?

For example: a stop loss 20 pips below the price 1.12345 is 1.12365, and the same for other instruments with other decimal places, without multiplying by 10.

Ivan Gurlev:

That's exactly what I'm interested in, but customers usually ask for everything in pips. And he usually forgets about the old points, even though he has said so many times, so it turns out that he is specifying the values he would like to see without any multiplication by 10.

The way I look at it in practice, if it is written in pips, there is no need to multiply anything. Is this statement true?

For example: a stop loss 20 pips below the price 1.12345 is 1.12365, the same for other instruments with other decimal places, without multiplying by 10.

you have the concepts mixed up, a point is the minimum price value, while a pip (Point In Percentage) is 10 pips.

https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/education/trading_tips/post_of_the_day/2013/12/31/What_is_a_pip.html
What is a Pip?
What is a Pip?
  • Jeremy Wagner, CEWA-M
  • www.dailyfx.com
“PIP” stands for Point In Percentage. More simply though, a pip is what we in the FX would consider a “point” for calculating profits and losses. When trading a mini lot (10k units of currency), each pip is worth roughly one unit of the currency in which your account is denominated. If your account is denominated in USD, for example, each pip...

Taras Slobodyanik:

you have the concepts mixed up, a point is the minimum price value and a pip is 10 pips.

You should have figured it out yourself.

you could start by opening a wikipedia and readinghttps://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Пункт_(economics)

pip(fromlat.punctum"point"; slang for"pip".pip - percentage in point"corresponding percentage") ineconomics is the minimum change of an indicator when no smaller changes are foreseen for this indicator. One pip corresponds to a single change in the most recently published indicator figure.

you can then read the documentationhttps://www.mql5.com/ru/docs/check/point

Returns the point size of the current instrument in the quote currency.

and see that there is no distinction between "points" and "pips" and never has been.

"point" and "pip" are the name of the same category - a single change in the most recent published indicator digit.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

you would have figured it out on your own.

and how you make orders)

ps. although I see you all speak russian.

Taras Slobodyanik:

and how you make orders)

ps. although I see - you all have russian speakers

Do you ask yourself "how do you make orders"? Are you misleading customers?

go to wikipedia and search for authoritative sources (dictionaries, encyclopaedias), whether English or russian, and you will understand that "point" and "pip" are the same category.

Whether it's 0.0001 point or pip for Euro or 0.00001 point or pip (or call it either pip or pip and all these terms mean the same thing) -- point value/pip depends on the precision of the quote.

When it comes to orders, the previous page clearly explained "all the differences".

setting up the EA . If we are referring to the "old" points on instruments with the accuracy of 5 digits, the Expert Advisor must multiply the values of all parameters relating to points by 10. If we mean the "new" points or instruments with the accuracy of 4 digits, do not do anything. That is, this must be controlled by the user himself, and the Expert Advisor will only multiply or not multiply the values depending on the action option specified by the user.

The term "pips" is often used to distinguish between a 4-digit point value and a 5-digit quotation point value.

If you open the English version of the wikipedia, there is a mention of this athttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage_in_point

A pip is sometimes confused with the smallest unit of change in a quote, i.e. thetick size. Currency pairs are often quoted to four decimal places, but the tick size in a given market may be, for example, 5 pips or 1/2 pip.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

The term "pips" is often used to distinguish between a 4-digit point value and a 5-digit quotation point value.

If you open the English version of the wikipedia, there is a mention of this athttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage_in_point

A pip is sometimes confused with the smallest unit of change in a quote, i.e. thetick size. Currency pairs are often quoted to four decimal places, but the tick size in a given market may be, for example, 5 pips or 1/2 pip.

That's what I mean - if pips and points (or ticks) are mentioned, then the pip is bigger than the point, not the other way round.

that's why i wrote that the author of the thread has these concepts mixed up.

ps. you seem to be confused about it too, since for you these concepts are one and the same)

Reason: