Older items

Hi all! A long time ago, when I was just learning how to program in mql4, I came across such a concept as old and new points. And in all of the examples from tutorials, a check has been added:

if ((digits==5) || (digits==3))

{

dp=deltaPrice*10;

}

Sort of a conversion of old points to new ones in order to make the EA work with any symbol. Well, more than one build has passed since then. I tried to check it in the terminal with different symbols with different decimal places and came to the conclusion that it is not used. Can someone definitely say in what points (old or new) to put in the input parameters of the EA and whether to do the multiplication by 10?

Ivan Gurlev:

Hi all! A long time ago, when I was just learning how to program in mql4, I came across such a concept as old and new points. And in all of the examples from tutorials, a check has been added:

{

dp=deltaPrice*10;

}

Sort of a conversion of old points to new ones in order to make the EA work with any symbol. Well, more than one build has passed since then. I tried to check it in the terminal with different symbols with different decimal places and came to the conclusion that it is not used. Can someone definitely say in what points (old or new) to put in the input parameters of the EA and whether to do the multiplication by 10?

It's just multiplying by Point().

For example, you want to set a take profit 200 p higher than the price.

Write: price plus 200*Point().

Ivan Gurlev:

{

dp=deltaPrice*10;

}

Sort of a conversion of old points to new ones in order to make the EA work with any symbol. Well, more than one build has passed since then. I tried to check it in the terminal with different symbols with different decimal places and came to the conclusion that it is not used. Can someone definitely say in what points (old or new) to put in the input parameters of the EA and whether I should multiply by 10?

The notions of "old and new" have been introduced by traders who are so accustomed to four-digit quotes that they are too slow to find five-digit ones.

It would be fun to see how EAs work with the above string on six-digit or single-digit quotes (synthetic symbols, say).

The expert plays absolutely no role. For me, an EA should not work with points, it should work directly with prices. And the old... the new ones... Why introduce extra entities?

They are also called Old Believers...

They also say points and pips.

Lately, they have stopped autocalculating account values in their products.

In which pips the account is calculated and in which variables are specified.

Sergey Rashevskiy In which items the account is counted and in which variables are quoted.

You probably didn't mean "account", but "quotation of a particular instrument". An account does not have points.

Andrei Fandeev:

You probably didn't mean "account", but "quotation of a particular instrument". The account has no points.

Yes, it's just that the value is different in different accounts, and in one account the value is the same, either in pips or pierces.

Sergey Rashevskiy:
Yes, it's just that the values are different in different accounts, while in one account the values are the same, either in pips or pierces.

I didn't just say 'instrument specific quote' for nothing.
Gold and EuroDollar will have different "values" in one account. So it does not depend on the account, but on the instrument.

Andrei Fandeev:

I didn't just say 'instrument specific quote' for nothing.
Gold and EuroDollar will have different "values" in one account. So it does not depend on the account, but on the instrument.

That's not quite right. Gold will have different values in different accounts, and the values of different instruments in the same account will naturally be different.)

Sergey Rashevskiy:

That's not quite right. Gold will have different values in different accounts, and the values of different instruments in the same account will naturally be different.)

Also not so ))))
"Different accounts will have different gold values" - no. it may be the same. For example I have several accounts and at all my brokers Gold has 0.01.
"and the value of different instruments in the same account - will naturally be different" - not so either. EuroDollar and EuroFoot are different instruments but the values are the same.

Anyway OK. In essence of your first post you are right - the parameters in the settings need to be specified in the smallest divisions of the chart you are using.
I was only disagreeing with the wording. Not the Account but the Tool.

Georgiy Merts:

The notions of "old and new" were introduced by traders who were so used to four-digit quotes that they had no brains to come up with five-digit ones.

It would be fun to see how EAs work with the above string on six-digit or single-digit quotes (synthetic symbols, for example).

The expert plays absolutely no role. For me, an EA should not work with points, it should work directly with prices. And the old... the new ones... Why introduce extra entities?

I even think this was used on MT4 versions < 600
Reason: