Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 9

Maxim Dmitrievsky:

It's fine, you can make it twice as big and you don't need a fan :Z

The main thing is to be quiet! :)

Right. The first thing I didn't like was the Win10 interface, plus a lot of unnecessary stuff. Well, the extra stuff was dealt with by spiraling the LTSB version - it immediately got easier. But the interface... I don't like it.

Well, made it look like Win7 as much as possible. Unfortunately, to make a completely classic interface - you need to put a special utility, and it looks, as I look at reviews on the Internet, have problems.

The second thing I didn't like was the noise of the fan in the power supply. Even without load it's very noticeable, what will be under load ? Disregarded my warranty, took out the fan (thankfully it was not soldered in but connected with a socket, no need to tinker with the soldering iron), put in a regular four pin controlled fan, connected to the socket on the board. Everything has become noticeably quieter.

I don't have time to run stress tests today, probably tomorrow.

Georgiy Merts:

Right. The first thing I didn't like was the interface of Vin10.

Well, made as similar as possible to Vin7, quite a classic interface - you have to put in a special utility, and it seems to have problems.

The second thing I didn't like was the fan noise in the power supply. Even without load it is very noticeable, what will be under load? Disregarded my warranty, took out the fan (thankfully it wasn't soldered in but connected via connector), put in a controlled fan, connected it to the connector on the board. It's noticeably quieter now.

I don't have time to run the stress tests today, probably tomorrow.

Vin 10 is rubbish, but maybe people have learnt how to upgrade....

Noise in the PSU - so I should not have taken a lousy PSU :) Not sure how you put a controllable fan in a socket that doesn't control the fan (or was it controllable too, but very noisy)? Question is, is the temperature sensor in there serviceable, and maybe the PSU should have been returned under warranty if it's howling... or maybe it's really warming up...

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

Noise in the PSU - so you shouldn't have got a lousy PSU :) Not sure how you put a controllable fan in a socket that doesn't control a fan (or was it controllable too, but very noisy)? The question is, is there a good temperature sensor in there, and maybe the PSU should have been returned under warranty if it's howling... or maybe it's really warming up...

No, no. My PSU isn't brand name, but it's pretty good.

The fan in the power supply works fine. Under load the speed starts to increase. But, at minimum load it was giving, as I understand, about 1,500 rpm (120 mm fan), which is already quite noticeable. I understand when such noise under load. But without ??? You give a stress test - RPMs go up both on the processor and the power supply, and in the beginning - the power supply is still "louder". But from 2000 RPM onwards the CPU gets louder.

This is the fourth (if I'm not mistaken) time I've done modifications to the PSU - it's almost standard procedure for me now.

I throw out the fan from the power supply (if it is soldered in - I unsolder it). I replace it with usual case fan with three (or better with four) legs. The cable from it - lead out with the rest of the power supply wiring harness. Then this new power supply fan - plugged into the motherboard connector - and voila - control it as you like.

Georgiy Merts:

Then this new power supply fan - plugged into the motherboard socket - and voila - control it as you like.

So how can the motherboard control it if it has no information about the power supply temperature? Only by expecting the CPU to heat up the PSU.... i don't know...

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

So how can the motherboard control it if it has no information about the temperature of the power supply? Only by expecting the CPU to heat up the PSU.... i don't know...

It doesn't need to. In all power supplies I've dealt with (I've opened about ten of them) the fan speed control board was just a separate "add-on" element, usually located in the middle part, and most often was attached to the heatsink of the power transistors by a short (and a couple of times by a rather long) bracket. So - the power supply fan measured the temperature of the air in the power supply. And if you exclude the fan stopping - this temperature is not much different from the temperature inside the case. (Perhaps it's different in expensive brands - but I've only dealt with cheap models)

You, my friends, of course, scared me a bit with words like "TDP is just rubbish", that "under load the CPU consumes all 150W, that I should immediately change Deepcool Theta 16 PWM to a more serious device...

But apparently my worries were in vain.

Already an hour my computer is under stress test by CPU-Z utility. Temperature - fluctuates from 71 to 73 degrees, reaches 74 a couple of times. By the way, I've just made some adjustments to the profile, so the fan at 70 deg didn't give maximal speed (2400), but kept it at 2000 and "got the rest 400" at 75. To the touch, from the side the temperature of radiator's fins tops is not higher than 45 (easy to hold with my hand). I don't think CPU-Z stress-test gives less load than Metatrader optimizer does.

So, no need to change anything, thank God.

Georgiy Merts:

You don't need one. In all the power supplies I have dealt with (I opened about ten of them) the fan speed control board was just a separate "hinged" element, usually located in the middle part, most often attached to the heat sink of the power transistors by a short (and a couple of times - quite long) bracket. So - the power supply fan measured the temperature of the air in the power supply. And if you exclude the fan stopping - this temperature is not much different from the temperature inside the case. (Perhaps it's different in the expensive brands, but I've only dealt with the cheap models)

If that's the case, the argument is convincing, there really won't be much difference, well maybe a couple of degrees.

Georgiy Merts:

Of course you, friends, scared me a bit with words like "TDP is just a balloon", that "under load the CPU consumes all 150W, that I'll have to immediately replace Deepcool Theta 16 PWM to a more serious device...

But my worries were in vain.

The computer is already an hour under stress-test by CPU-Z utility. Temperature - fluctuates from 71 to 73 degrees, reaches 74 a couple of times. By the way, I've just tweaked the profile also, so the fan at 70 deg didn't give maximal speed (2400), but kept it at 2000 and "got the rest 400" at 75. To the touch, from the side the temperature of radiator's fins tops is not higher than 45 (easy to hold with my hand). I don't think CPU-Z stress-test gives less load than Metatrader optimizer does.

So, no need to change anything, thank God.

70 degrees is a lot for me, I'm sure it doesn't start trotting - look at the frequencies, is it holding?

LinX is good for warming up the processor and checking its stability! If your gigaflops won't go down after 20-30 passes, you'll be fine. Just make sure you have stricter settings there.

1. The processor is a toy, good for a domestic computer - there is no USS, so there is no way of knowing what it actually counts. If you make industrial things, only processors with USS. Out of the processor comes the memory and the motherboard.

2. I don't understand how many channels to memory the processor has. A normal server CPU has 4 memory channels, which greatly improves the use of multiple cores. With the same frequency, the computer runs 15-20 percent faster

3. A cooler has a small impeller diameter and prohibitive speed. Do not take fans less than 120 mm and their speed should not be more than 1200 rpm at an extreme.

4. I don't understand what kind of power supply. At least a bronze one? The impeller must be at least 140mm.

5. 120 GB SSD is a disaster. I don't even want to talk about password optimisation as it easily causes your computer to hang because of a simple error.

6. SSD interface performance is a philosophical thing and is important ONLY for very large files - several gigs. We are dealing with usually a few megabytes, not more than 100MB. The size of the file to be copied = roughly the speed of the disk. You have to copy 1000 files of 10Mb - the speed will be 10Mb. That's the whole tale of M2.

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

If that's the case, the argument is convincing, there really won't be much difference, maybe a couple of degrees.

70 degrees is a lot for me, I'm sure it's not starting to trotlift - look at the frequencies, is it holding?

LinX is good for CPU warm-up and stability testing! If your gigaflops won't go down after 20-30 passes, you'll be fine. Just make sure you adjust it in a more sluggish way.

Nah, frequency won't change.

As far as I understand the thrttling, it starts only at 90 deg. I have - without load temperature is about 35 deg, when stress test is on - it gets to 65 for a few minutes, and then slowly goes up to 72-73. CPU frequency is 4280, memory frequency 2390 all the time, changes are in units.

Nah, I see that TDP 65W is probably the correct maximum TDP at full load. The error is hardly more than 5W. And with the fan - same thing, TDP - 95W is probably correct, the error is hardly more than 10W.Tomorrow, hopefully my eyes will get used to the freaking Win10 interface and I'll put MetaTrader on, maybe I'll get to the optimization as well.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

1. The processor is a toy, good for a domestic computer - there is no USS, so there is no way of knowing what it actually counts. If you make industrial things, only processors with USS. Out of the processor comes the memory and the motherboard.

2. I don't understand how many channels to memory the processor has. A normal server CPU has 4 memory channels, which greatly improves the use of multiple cores. With the same frequency, the computer runs 15-20 percent faster

3. A cooler has a small impeller diameter and prohibitive speed. Do not take fans less than 120 mm and their speed should not be more than 1200 rpm at an extreme.

4. I don't understand what kind of power supply. At least a bronze one? The impeller must be at least 140mm.

5. 120 GB SSD is a disaster. I don't even want to talk about password optimisation as it easily causes your computer to hang because of a simple error.

6. SSD interface performance is a philosophical thing and is important ONLY for very large files - several gigs. We are dealing with usually a few megabytes, not more than 100MB. The size of the file to be copied = roughly the speed of the disk. You have to copy 1000 files of 10Mb - the speed will be 10Mb. That's the whole tale of M2.

You, my friend, are telling all this to overclockers, who have over 9000 IOPS.

But for penniless old-timers like me, it's a mockery.

1. I know that "orthodox processors" are only devices designed for military equipment and for combat temperature, radiation and electromagnetic conditions. I don't need all that - at all.

2. I don't care how many memory channels a processor has. Because there is no choice. It's like lamenting about how many women there are - there are no others anyway. It's either that or no women at all.

3. "Small impeller diameter" is 50mm. And "prohibitive rpm" is 3500 rpm. My numbers are much better, and even under full load they are quite enough. In usual mode you can hear the fan only if you listen directly near the slots in the case, in complete silence. So all these monster coolers are also for overclockers, for their lofty self-esteem.

4. The power supply is a budget AeroCool. I even thought I should have taken 450W for nothing. I could have taken 400W and saved my 200p. I don't think we, lowbrow old-timers, don't need it.

5. I'm sure nothing bad will happen with my system or my terminals. I've heard a lot of legends about "SSD errors", but no matter how many times I've asked on the Internet, if the disk didn't "fall apart" immediately upon installation, and it wasn't defective, it works long and reliably.

6. Well, that's what the tests will show. Still, I'm hoping to get everything into RAM for now. Besides, as I said before - I didn't take M2 interface yet. There are no fast M2 SSDs in DNS yet. All of them are the same speed as SATA. And since it is so, I prefer SATA, so I can remove the disk and move it to other system units.

Reason: