Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority)

Greetings, everyone.

I'm getting more and more stressed by my old system unit. After all, for almost 10 years it is not only obsolete, but it is already limiting me considerably.

So the question arose about getting a new system unit (I have a monitor and it suits me fine).

So.

Aim - maximum performance while optimizing the TC.

Budget - $500.

I'm partial to Intel's CPUs (I'm looking forward to i5 six-core units) and Asus boards (I really like their ability to control fan speeds).

Gaming capabilities are completely unimportant. The last thing I played this year was Age Of Empires (the very first one, from 1997). What are the newfangled toys out there now - not even aware of it.

Lower power is desirable - I like the quietness, especially when I don't need the performance. That's why it's important that the motherboard knows how to control all the fans in the system.

What do you suggest, colleagues?

Georgiy Merts:

Greetings, everyone.

I'm getting more and more stressed by my old system unit. After all, for almost 10 years it is not only obsolete, but it is already limiting me considerably.

So the question arose about getting a new system unit (I have a monitor and it suits me fine).

So.

Budget - $500.

I'm partial to Intel's CPUs (I'm looking forward to i5 six-core units) and Asus boards (I really like their ability to control fan speeds).

Gaming capabilities are completely unimportant. The last thing I played this year was Age Of Empires (the very first one, from 1997). What are the newfangled toys out there now - not even aware of it.

Less power is desirable - I like quiet, especially when you don't need performance. That's why it's important that the motherboard knows how to control all the fans in the system.

For $500 you can only buy a good processor.

But the way I see it. Processor capacity doesn't really affect the speed of optimisation. Optimise in the cloud and you will be happy.

i would suggest looking at ssd . Without ssd your powerful cpu won't make much sense.

Vladislav Andruschenko:

for $500 you can only buy a good processor.

Although, as far as I'm concerned. The power of the processor has little effect on the speed of optimisation. Optimise in the cloud and you'll be happy.

I would suggest looking at ssd . Without ssd your powerful processor will not make sense.

For $500 one CPU ???

You're nuts, mates. You've got nowhere to put your money - I envy you.

We are retired beggars, not rich people with cooler balls.

And we have to optimize, not just brag on forums.

So $500 for everything.

If I'm optimizing now on a 10-year-old dual-core Core Duo with 4 GB on it, even a quad-core with 8 GB will be good enough for me. And I was going to buy it, but I just had a look and it seemed that I could afford to buy a 6-core machine with 16 Gigs too.

My main questions are about RAM - does switching from 8 to 16 gigs speed things up much, and about threads - is it better to have 4 cores in 8 threads or 6 cores in 6 threads?

Georgiy Merts:

For $500 one percent ???

You are crazy, my friends. You have nowhere to spend the money - I envy you.

And we are retired beggars, not rich, cooler-than-eggs.

And we are optimists, not bragging on forums.

So $500 for everything.

If I'm optimizing now on a 10-year-old dual-core Core Duo with 4 GB on board, even a quad-core with 8 GB will be good enough for me.

But, I've just had a look, it looks like you can get it in a budget with 6 cores and 16 gigs.

The CPU is about 300-400 quid plus the mother for it is 100.
What's that got to do with having nowhere to put your money? And what does it have to do with the majors?
You asked, I answered.

It's not about the CPU at all. My old AMD 4-core pulls 20 terminals on 16 gigs, but put the cd right away.
CPU speed has no effect on optimization speed. It is more likely that it is the speed of RAM that has an effect. But it is better to optimize in the cloud. It is faster.
I just shared my experience.

Georgiy Merts:

Greetings, everyone.

So.

Budget - $500.

Less power is desirable - I like quiet, especially when you don't need performance. That's why it's important that the motherboard knows how to control all the fans in the system.

As far as I have noticed, the processor is not as important as the memory bandwidth. The faster the memory, the faster the test goes.

Georgiy Merts:

For $500 one percent ???

You guys are crazy, you have nowhere to put your money - I envy you.

And we are retired beggars, not rich, cooler-than-eggs.

And we have to optimize, not brag on forums.

So $500 for everything.

If I'm optimizing now on a 10-year-old dual-core Core Duo with 4 GB on it, even a quad-core with 8 GB will be good enough for me. And I was going to buy one, but when I looked at it it seemed that I could afford to buy a six core with 16 GB.

My main questions are about RAM - does switching from 8 to 16 GB speed things up much, and about threads - is it better to have 4 cores in 8 threads or 6 cores in 6 threads?

6 cores are better than 8 threads.

Vladislav Andruschenko:
That it's not about the CPU at all. My old AMD 4 core pulls 20 terminals on 16 gigs, but I put in a cd right away.
CPU speed has no effect on optimization speed. It is more likely that it is the speed of RAM that has an effect. But it is better to optimize in the cloud. It is faster.
I just shared my experience.

Nah. The cloud is expensive for me. Sometimes, when you need urgency, yes. But, on a regular basis, no.

I don't need a bunch of terminals, the terminal will be one. But, here, optimization will be done often (in accordance with the adopted ideology of the TC League).

The computer is obsolete, and it will be replaced this year anyway. So, started looking at websites... And I see - and things are not so bad even with my more than modest budget.

Maxim Romanov:

6 cores are better than 8 threads

That's where I'm leaning...

Georgiy Merts:

That's the way I'm leaning...

Because the thread will not be fully available. For example 1 core with 2 threads will be loaded with single threaded load for 70%, accordingly 30% remains for the second thread.
As for memory size is not so important, 8gb for 8 cores is more than enough for optimization if it is an average EA. A csd isn't necessary at all, you can do without it in a budget build.
So in your case a CPU with maximum fast memory and maximum number of cores is needed. And you have 8 gb of memory with maximal frequency, which is supported by your CPU.
And Intel or amd is not so important. Although the priority is more cores for less money. Intel is more productive per core, but amd just has more cores and therefore overall performance in a well-parallelized load with amd will be higher for the same money.

Maxim Romanov:
So in your case a CPU with the fastest possible memory and the highest possible number of cores. And 8gb of memory with the maximum frequency the CPU can support.

Yes, SSD is for the future, for now I was going to do without it. What's more, I can even save some money by putting in an old HDD, quite a good two terabyte drive.

Intel or AMD - yes, that's the question...

And the fact that you can manage with 8 gigabytes is good news for me... I thought the amount of memory has quite a big impact on performance, and is a priority.

Anyway, thanks for the opinion.

Georgiy Merts:

Yes, the SSD is for the future, for now I was planning to do without it.

But the fact that you can manage with 8 gigs is good news for me... I thought the amount of memory has quite a big impact on performance, and is a priority.

Anyway, thanks for the opinion.

I have 8 gigs on 8 cores. Average EAs load a maximum of 5 gigs if optimised on all cores, and mt5. Heavy EAs require up to 1.5 gigs per core. But heavy EAs on mt4 I have, how they will be on mt5 I don't know.
Reason: